1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plug and play stereo upgrades

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Gunner, May 20, 2017.

1. May 21, 2017 at 5:16 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    The factory amp is weak as hell, I think maybe 13 amps or something ridiculous like that. Here's what I did.
    I have Helix E 62c speakers up front
    JbL GT7-6c Speakers in the rear
    JL Audio XD 700 5VR amp
    1 JL Audio10tw3 subwoofer.
    To me it sounds great. The amp was installed where the factor amp is at. I got a harness that plugs right into the stock amps harness and then you put RCA adaptors onto the wires and plugs right into the amp. The harness also has the output wires on it, plug those into the amp. In the doors, I had harnesses that plugged into the factory speaker adaptor, that wire went to the crossover and then I had to run wires from the crossover to the speakers. I'm in it for less than the price of the OEM audio system. To me is sounds really good. Someone else may get in and say it doesn't, but to my ear, I really like it.

2. May 21, 2017 at 7:47 AM
    Ramon

Ramon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orasio
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Head unit sound system
    Okay I'm no pro but I am experienced. I've been installing systems for myself and friends for 15 years. If you change out your factory head unit the sound quality will be a lot better. If you get a really good head unit with GPS and Bluetooth the only downfall is you will lose your steering wheel controls unless you buy an adapter. Also the after market Bluetooth can sometimes be not as good as factory. I got a 5 channel amp and ran my doors off of it. I used my new head unit and ran all my tweeters off of it which is more than enough power for tweeters. With the 5th channel I powered my sub. I have a 2017 crewmax so building a custom box that fits behind the seat was a challenge but I got it. I mounted a skar shallowmount sub and the box ended up with about 1.6 cubic feet of air space. And it sounds amazing sometime a little much but that's a good problem. If you have any question feel free to ask. I will be making a post about my custom sub box shortly.

20170430_102908.jpg
    20170520_131155.jpg

20170520_131912.jpg

20170520_125517.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    veg hed and DeanO like this.
  3. May 21, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    @Gunner I kept my Factory HU for all the same reasons that you want to keep it. If you have a little bit of mod skill, doing it yourself is not that difficult. And with the right setup, it sounds waaay better than the factory configuration. The hardest part for me was figuring out where all the signals were and how to route around the factory amp. You can check out my Audio Mod post for more info on how I did the job.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    JackWagon likes this.
  4. Dec 18, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    deanbuxton

deanbuxton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    I agree with Gunner... when I bought my 2017 TRD Pro... It felt like the stereo was 5 years out of date on the first day... I'd like to yank that stero out and replace it even if I lose steering wheel controls.

I have seen *********... but I'll check out thouse other places noted.

Products Discussed in

To Top