1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Playing the Dealership Game

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by CavGirl21, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Nov 13, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    All this one had was a backflip bed cover, aftermarket wheels n tires, 305/55R20 tires that rubbed front inner liner and stuck out few inches from body, antenna was bent, super clean inside

CavGirl21[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 13, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    You better hurry up and get that truck as fast as you can..... Even before pandemic with high inventories that price is better than anything out there. Throw in the current situation of next to "zero" inventory and that is absolutely unheard of. If I was serious about buying a truck I would be at the dealer right now.

3. Nov 13, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    CavGirl21

CavGirl21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheri
    Southern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cavalry Blue Tundra Crewmax SR5
    I agree! The sales manager assured me that my "name is on the truck" and provided a preliminary (pre-build) VIN number to me. Just waiting to hear when the build is done and is on the way here!

4. Nov 13, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    From selling Ducatis for a few years and purchasing a few vehicles in the last 5 years my .02 is have someone negotiate on your behalf (spouse, friend, parent) as far as the people pleasing personality goes. Those were the worst kind of buyers to deal with because the BS sales and pressure tactics don't work. If you haven't put any money down, wait it out. You can always walk.

I had my husband play middle-man when I got my Tundra and call the dealer for me. When they gave a price he'd say "I'll ask and get back to you" and hang up. Did that for a few hours and wore em down when I finally had him call and say "$32,500 OTD or she's walking" and they relented and agreed. After the sale was finalized the salesman said he hated dealing with third-party middle men.

I dreaded couples coming into the Duc dealership because it was typically the husband wanting the bike and the wife being the bulldog. I had no issues telling them to gtfo of the dealership because we had the luxury of being able to always sell the bikes to the next person (only Duc dealer in the state at the time) but my blood pressure would typically be through the roof seeing those people walk in the front door. :rofl:

CavGirl21[OP] likes this.
  5. Nov 13, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    buenosdiaz

buenosdiaz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 Calvary Blue Tundra
    I really hope you get that deal. With the 1750 rebate they are discount the truck almost $5000 under dealer invoice and I find that extremely hard to believe unless they are holding profit on a possible trade in? If you have a trade in, I would make sure you are getting a proper trade value and if not. Take that deal and run far and fast.

And again, get it in writing ASAP. Right away. Otherwise they are blowing smoke.

6. Nov 13, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    CavGirl21

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheri
    Southern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    No trade in; just a straight up purchase. I'll try to get something from them ASAP.

W just called this afternoon and said that truck is in with the wrong interior. They want me to come look at it anyway and see if I'll change my mind, then said they'd try to match what E offered (though I didn't actually tell them what the last offer was). I'll probably go take a look at it, but I really don't think they'll match. Plus, I might as well hold out for the whole package that I want; e.g. right interior color. I don't want to get 2 years in and regret it.

7. Nov 17, 2020 at 5:59 AM
    CavGirl21

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheri
    Southern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Quick update:

W got the truck in as previously mentioned and asked me to come look at it with the wrong interior color in case I did like it. So went in on Saturday to see it and talk to them. Truck is BEAUTIFUL. Still not crazy about the interior. I then showed them the email with E's bottomed-out price and they don't get it either. Obviously they can't match it because they would be losing over $2700. They're not sure how E can do that either, but did say E did that to them recently for another customer buying a RAV4. They're not sure if it's strictly a competition thing, or hoping W will offer the same and lose money, but whatever it is, they can't match, which I absolutely understand. At the same time, the final price still ends up being almost $4k apart between the dealerships, so I feel obligated to wait it out and see if E really comes through at that price.

I did drive straight over to E after that and told them that W has the truck in hand. The sales manager I've been working with wasn't in, but I talked to one of the salesmen and explained the situation. I told him I wanted to feel secure in that price before I told W I officially wasn't taking their truck. He was a bit amazed at the price as well, but said he's never known them to not honor a quoted price, and they are trying to earn my loyalty and business since I live only a few miles from them. He also showed me the truck allocation in the Toyota system, that all the options I wanted are included, and that E has my name on it as the designee.

I relinquished the truck with W. :( Worse case scenario, E doesn't follow through and I walk away from them and start from the top. I'd hate to do it, but it's definitely an option if need be.

8. Nov 17, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    buenosdiaz

buenosdiaz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 Calvary Blue Tundra
    I really hope it all works out!

If you have a signed pricing proposal then it will!

9. Nov 17, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Yep or even worse you pay $50k for a truck that isn’t what you exactly want. Be patient you’ll find what you are looking for. Good luck.

10. Dec 5, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    betotundra

betotundra Toyota for Life

Member:
    Whatever happened with this purchase?

11. Dec 5, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    mike100

mike100 New Member

Member:
    good posts guys,im shopping now too,helpful info=thanks

12. Dec 5, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    I had a similar interaction last spring when I was truck shopping. The dealer had this Tundra on the lot for several months, so I went in to drive it. I told him I was interested in it, and wanted my mechanic to check it out. He asked what I wanted for my Dodge Cummins. I told him I'd pay 10k difference.

Of course, we then went through the mental gymnastics of him asking how I arrived at that number, yada yada. I told him that doesn't concern you, are you selling me the truck or not? They offered me some ridiculous number like 15 or 16k difference. I told the salesman to call me if he changed his mind.

A week later he called me, coming closer. He asked how firm I was on my price, and I told him pretty firm but if you have a good offer, throw it out. In the meantime, I sold my Dodge myself and ended up buying a different Tundra off of Facebook Marketplace. He texted me the next week, and I politely told him what I sold and purchased for.

Ironically, a month later, the truck was still on their lot. In all reality, he was actually getting close to selling the truck. If he would have offered me $11k difference and it got a clean bill of health from my mechanic, I would have probably bought it.

To repeat what others have said, take the emotion out of it and be willing to say no. It's a truck, and you'll find others.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  13. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    CavGirl21

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheri
    Southern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    This is still in the works! Production date for the truck is this week or next (a far cry from when they told me they could get it in at the same time as W). But to get the truck at the ridiculously low price they offered (<$38k), I decided it's worth the gamble. They said they can get the truck up here around 2 weeks after it's done, but with the holidays, I'm pretty skeptical about that. If I could get it the first week of January, I'll be one happy camper! But they have my name associated with that particular truck in their system, so just hoping it all goes through as planned at this time. I have my WeatherTechs, bed cover, and nerf bars sitting in the garage waiting for the arrival.

Good thing I wasn't in a huge hurry to get it!

JLS in WA likes this.
  14. Dec 7, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    glowblue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    I can't stress how important this advice is. I learned a long time ago to take emotion out of any negotiation cars, houses, etc. and to remember its your money - not the dealers, real estate agents, etc. If you think about it, with cars, houses, etc. the buyer is negotiating in dollars one for one. With cars and houses, dealers and realtors don't have the same monetary motivation as you - they're motivated by commissions, hold back, etc. $1,000 to you is NOT the same to them.

I would really like to understand dealers and salespeople that would let a reasonable sale walk out the door - and let a vehicle continue to sit unsold and end up selling it for less down the road.

15. Dec 7, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    jdmek998

jdmek998 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Platinum
    I just traded my 2019 Limited CM 4x4 and got a 21 Platinum 4x4 this weekend. Got $45k as trade in for the 19 and paid $51k for the 21(Msrp $57,446). I had to wait 3 weeks for it to come in but it was worth it. Deals are out there you just have to find the right dealer that willing to work with you.

truckmax and CavGirl21[OP] like this.
  16. Dec 7, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    jquest915

jquest915 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Platinum
    22x9.5 wheels 8" BAMuffler 5" stainless running boards
    Was that $51k otd?

17. Dec 7, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    jdmek998

jdmek998 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Platinum
    $51K Plus taxes.

18. Dec 7, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    jquest915

jquest915 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Platinum
    22x9.5 wheels 8" BAMuffler 5" stainless running boards
    What state and dealer? I'm looking for a 1794.

19. Dec 7, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    jdmek998

jdmek998 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Platinum
    Good luck. I had to have this one allocated before it left port. It was in Southwest FL.

20. Dec 7, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    truckmax

truckmax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 TRD CM 4x4
    LED lights,Rear sway,tint,cover,liner,cat protector,skid,running boards,mats,pedal commander,tint, and $$$ etc etc.
    This tread brought back memories for me, most advice here is very solid, money talk, and BS walks.

12-13% of MSRP should be your benchmark IMO, it has worked for me in many instances.

Forget the cozy warm feelings of having a nearby dealer, or them being pleased that you are close and love to have you, bottom line is they might turn out not what thought they were gonna be as a service dealer, then what? Feelings? It is and will always be a stealership.

Just keep it real, you have done great so far, get what you want, compromise if need be and you can live with it, they are all in for the money, and there is plenty in other costs for which they get a discount, what effects the total profit, and you are not privy about.

Good (luck, maybe) negotiating skill with your sale, you can do it.

21. Dec 7, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    FirstTruck

FirstTruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra MGM CM TRD Sport
    Stock, for now
    Is there a n N and an S close by? Buying

22. Dec 8, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    buenosdiaz

buenosdiaz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 Calvary Blue Tundra
    It boils down to the same thing as any transaction. If you have a reasonable offer but know that you can sell it for more you hold out and wait for more. There are many dealerships that sell 300-500 cars a month so waiting and earning a small additional profit may not seem like much on one transaction but when you multiply it by 300-500 it adds up to a lot on the bottom line.

Most dealerships spend a lot of money on technology to track the amount of traffic on each car and if a vehicle has a certain amount of traffic on it the numbers say it is only a matter of time before it sells. They are trying to find the balance of selling it for the most profit while also selling it as quickly as possible to free up the money for additional car purchases and more transactions.

Summed up, if they are passing on a reasonable offer it is because they believe there is a better offer around the corner. And there is always a chance it was not that reasonable of a offer.

truckmax and CavGirl21[OP] like this.
  23. Dec 9, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Subscribing for the outcome... My instinct tells me that something just doesn't smell right about dealership E. I do hope that things work out for you though Sheri. Please keep us posted.

CavGirl21[OP] and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  24. Dec 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    CavGirl21

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheri
    Southern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Thanks much! I agree, I still feel very leery... but if it doesn't come to fruition, I'm ready and willing to walk away and start over again. Crossing my fingers I don't have to do that! o_O

25. Jan 8, 2021 at 4:44 AM
    glowblue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Any updates on the truck?

26. Jan 8, 2021 at 4:53 AM
    mundra

mundra New Member

Member:
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 platinum 4x4
    315/70/17 Ridge Grapplers on Rock Warrior Wheels, Tinted windows,remote start,tech12volts audio upgrade w/2-10" subs, console charger, more to come soon.
    I hope all goes well for you.

27. Jan 8, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    CavGirl21

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheri
    Southern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Funny you should ask... IT ARRIVED LAST NIGHT!!! The sales manager sent the below picture as it pulled into the dealership. It was after hours, so I had to wait to call this morning and then had to leave a message. Waiting for the call back so I can go in and finally bring it home :yes:

upload_2021-1-8_9-39-56.jpg

28. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    glowblue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Nice! Hopefully the transaction goes smooth - beware the Evil Finance Manager and say “No” to anything they offer.

29. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    Tundrafan23

Tundrafan23 New Member

Member:
    They usually don't like cash deals and charge more for them because they try to push the financing through Toyota in order to make a kick back of the interest paid through financing.

30. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    Gomting_Jaeger

Gomting_Jaeger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra 1794 CrewMax Smoke Mesquite 4X4
    Painfully Stock
    I got my 2021 1794 edition in October 2020 for $51.7K otd including TTL. They gave me $33K for my '18 4runner TRD offroad trade-in (Bought it for $36K new, had 50K miles when I traded in). There are deals out there or at least were. In Texas

Elie812 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top