1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Planning a beach trip

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by mgxsequioa, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Jun 29, 2020 at 5:42 PM
    mgxsequioa

mgxsequioa [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm heading back down to the beach in a few weeks and looking to be a little more prepared than last year. Everything went well, but I realized I could have probably removed more from my tires and had an air compressor/c02 tank and recovery boards.

Forgive me if this topic has been covered many times, some of the posts are a few years old and technology changes..so here it goes.

I have a 2018 Platinum and am leaning towards an ARB CKMP12 because its portable and I don't have to worry about filling up a C02 tank. Do I need to upgrade the battery to use this? What is the recommended PSI for driving on the beach? Do I need to air all the way back up for a 15 minute drive on roads that do not exceed 35 MPH? If not, what is a safe PSI to drive on.

For recovery boards, I'm considering GoTreads. They appear to be a great compact option with high reviews on this and other sites. Please let me know if these work as well in very soft sand as they do in mud and snow?

And now the dangerous question...is there anything else that I need that I'm not considering?

If this belongs in a different forum, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Jun 30, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    1engineer

1engineer New Member

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road.
    Normal beach sand or sugar sand? Depending on conditions, i have driven in 2wd with fully aired up tires. In some conditions I have been at 18 psi in 4hi. Pay attention to where you drive and you will never need maxtrax. Go where you shouldn't and you could need more than maxtrax.

Luckydog and Beerghost like this.
  3. Jun 30, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    Optimum tire pressure for traction really depends on your tires.

I've got 35x12.50r20 General Grabber ATx (load range E) tires. I went to the beach about a month ago and left them at 36 psi until I needed more traction to pull someone else out.

I dropped to 12psi and didn't have any problems, but I only drove a few miles on pavement before airing back up.

It's best not to get stuck in the first place, but leave them aired up until you start to bog down then just stop spinning and air down to get out. If you leave them aired up and don't sink then you don't have to fill your tires back up either.

4. Jul 1, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    mgxsequioa

mgxsequioa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. It’s really soft sand down at Fort Fisher.

My impatience and desire to have this before the trip, I got the compressor and gotreads. I’ll report back on experience after the trip.
    My plan is to air down to 18 and hope the gotreads stay in the box, no issues last year on the same sand but I didn’t go too far down the beach and wasn’t avoiding the gas station for a tire refill.

next up is confirmation that the stock battery is sufficient to run the compressor.

also looking at the waterport 2.0

this site is really bad for my wallet!

Products Discussed in

To Top