1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payload Stickers?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by AnalysisParalysis, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    That's the highest number we've seen so far. Maybe there's still hope for @Mattedfred

2. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Ya, 1491. Just need another 100 lbs! LOL. Can't recall what the TRD Convenience Package includes, but I imagine I don't need it. Wonder how much weight it subtracts from the payload?

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  3. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Only about 200 lbs more than I have so probably not enough for me to consider a third gen.

1UP and Melikeymy beer[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    Understandable. For me 400 is a pretty good improvement, plus I just want back in a regular bed vs. the short bed.

5. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:14 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    One nice thing is it seems like the standard ("long") beds have a higher GVWR so they can have similar payload to the short beds.

6. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:17 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    That is good for the CM option. I'll go DC.

7. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Stupid me, I assumed every 2022 Tundra would have the same GVWR because I assumed they all came with the same axles, which I thought were the main factor when determining the limit. Again, not a smart guy. LOL

8. Dec 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Right, my bad.

9. Dec 18, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    You have two different GAWRs—one for the front axle and one for the rear. Their sum is always higher than GVWR (which is your curb weight + payload) in order to give you some flexibility in how that load is distributed.

interestingly enough, here is an RV Lifestyle article arguing that a half ton, within reason, can be a better tow vehicle than a 3/4 or 1 ton even when over its payload limit because the 3/4 ton has a higher center of gravity, is far heavier for stopping and turning, and potentially has a live front axle.

https://www.rvlifemag.com/towing-half-ton-three-quarter-ton/

10. Dec 18, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    An excellent article. Read it a month ago or so. Saw Andy last week actually. Great guy!

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Dec 18, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    trazerr

trazerr New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB SR5 4x4
    I think this number is off a double cab and not crew max. Might have something to do with it as I haven’t seen many payload stickers for double cabs. Most crew maxes have been under 1,350 that I’ve seen.

12. Dec 18, 2021 at 3:59 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    "With better tires and shocks, we wind up with a firmer riding truck than the standard half-ton, but still far smoother than a three-quarter tom pickup, especially one with a live front axle. At the same time, we get more controlled, precise handling, resulting in better accident avoidance capability than the three-quarter ton."

But... the sticker...

13. Dec 20, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Perhaps a stupid question but what is truly the limiting factor on the 2022 Tundra when it comes to comparing payload with the other manufacturers? Are the axle weight ratings simply way less on the 2022 Tundra? Do they determine their GVWR differently or more conservatively?

14. Dec 20, 2021 at 6:20 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    My guess is that the curb weight is higher because less of it is aluminum. GVWR seems to be on par with the competition for the most part.

15. Dec 20, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    OK, thanks man. So, assuming Toyota wasn't able to compute a higher GVWR, they attempted to reduce weight wherever they could in order to at least compete on payload. Perhaps the reason there aren't any tow hooks, a fancy tailgate, 4A etc, as they prioritized other features based on their market surveys. I guess the competition just uses lighter and perhaps less durable parts in order to beat Toyota on payload?

16. Dec 20, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    That's all logical possibilities, but it could also be that Toyota is more conservative in year payload designations. Some manufacturers bump payloads year to year without any kind of significant changes to the vehicles. Marketing is just lying as much as you can get away with, after all.

17. Dec 20, 2021 at 6:42 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Seems to be the case. GM made almost everything on their new trucks aluminum and the cab flexes so much that the rear window leaks on pretty much every truck and they still don't have a fix for it 3 years later.

18. Dec 20, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks you two. This is very useful information. For a guy that doesn't know a thing about cars and trucks, I'm sure learning a lot!

While the lower payload rating is a let down, I'd rather buy a reliable vehicle with valid specs.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  19. Dec 20, 2021 at 7:38 AM
    john1062

john1062 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    Something else to consider for whoever looks to payload numbers (myself included) is that the Tundra payload will be actually lower than the sticker as they don't include the running boards and tailgate steps (I am assuming everybody will need them), while the competitor's are already included. Anybody has any clue how much they weight?

20. Dec 20, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    They all have their own means for determining GVWR and payload, and it's a secret. Stock tires and weak springs are a big factor in why 1/2 tons have low ratings. Most people buy these for commuting, and they don't want a stiff ride. You have no legal obligation to stay under it, and if you upgrade tires and suspension it will handle a higher load just fine.

21. Dec 20, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    AnalysisParalysis

AnalysisParalysis [OP] New Member

Member:
    The air suspension isn't the missing link.

One of my local dealers has a SR5 CrewMax 4x4 with the 6.5' bed and air suspension (nice vehicle...), and the sticker was still around 1,400 lbs. :(

I guess I'm looking at a Big 3 truck with an extended warranty...

OnThaLake likes this.
  22. Dec 20, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    What sort of load are you planning to carry, and why does the sticker worry you?

23. Dec 20, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    Nightshade Tundra

Nightshade Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie
    A little late to the party

Someone had mentioned that an insurance company will deny your claim if you are over weight and that it is incorrect they will cover you they will not deny you. The issue pertaining to being over weight comes down to liability and any possible injuries that may have resulted from the accident. If the other party were to hire an attorney and challenge the liability decision set by the insurance carrier they may ask for the specs on the trailer/load that was being towed at the time of the loss and the specs for the vehicle that was doing the towing. There are many scenarios so I won't go further, hopefully you all find the right truck and tow safely I see too many people towing way over their limits and its not safe no matter how many modifications are done to their trucks. Also just my two cents and its been said before if Toyota really designed their trucks to tow more that what is stated on the door jamb why not just up the numbers? they would only help their sales.

24. Dec 20, 2021 at 11:37 AM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    The OP is talking about payload, so I think he's interested in hauling something in the bed, not towing. Put on some good shocks, heavier rear springs, and e-rated tires, and the Tundra will handle a 2500 lb load better than a stock 1 ton. You will never get a ticket for being over GVWR (because it isn't illegal or unsafe), and your insurance co will never deny a claim.

Is it possible that if you cause an accident that an opposing lawyer might try to use your weight against you somehow? Sure, anything is possible when it comes to lawyers. You might need to hire an engineer to show him he's FOS in that case...

25. Dec 20, 2021 at 12:04 PM
    Nightshade Tundra

Nightshade Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie
    Got it I read the post incorrectly.

Correct me if I'm wrong a manufacturer also takes how much weight a frame can handle as well. I would assume that when they take the payload rating numbers into consideration the frame is part of that equation. How would you "beef" up the frame to handle the extra load that it now has to carry?

Like I said there are many scenarios when an attorney would get involved. Most of the cases I have been a part of have to do with injuries and if they would have been any less serious if the individual that was found at fault for the accident was under the payload/towing specs provided by the manufacturer. In most cases the majority of drivers in this country are under insured so in some cases the attorney may be asking for more than what the policy can cover depending on the severity of the injuries or even possible death.

In my opinion if the car/truck is not rated for what you are trying to haul/tow stay away from it and buy something better suited to do the job

26. Dec 20, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    UATundra

UATundra New Member

Member:
    A lot of us are worried about payload while towing due to the fact that the trailer tongue weight is directly subtracted from available payload. And some people prefer to stay within the manufacturer's capacity recommendations regardless if it's a "law".

27. Dec 20, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    It's fine if someone wants to stay under the ratings... just discussing the logic and tradeoffs of that approach.

Nearly everyone who has even a light camper on a Tundra is over GVWR. Add armor, big tires, camping gear, passengers, etc. And a bunch of them go out in the desert and get air over the whoops with that load. We have 15 years of data on the 2nd gens and this abuse. The frame is plenty sturdy. I talked to a guy who had an enormous camper on a DC Long like mine. Him and his wife were living in it, camping in the woods and traveling around. I bet it was over 5k lbs. Said it handled fine. I think that's a bit much, but... half that load with proper upgrades? No worries. The 3rd gens are all new, but it's still a heavy truck for a 1/2 ton, and I'm sure they designed the frame to take way more than the rating.

The problem with getting something "better suited to do the job" is that it has to be a GM/Ford/Ram.... :eek2:

Mattedfred likes this.
  28. Dec 22, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    kmangino47

kmangino47 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 limited TRD off-road
    waiting waiting waiting to take delivery
    I agree with this on a case by case, if you are hauling at 2000 pound block of steel insurance may be able to check, 2000 pounds of rock dumped out all over the highway after a crash, not so much...and my story will be it was 800 pound load and ill stick to it (nobody is checking at that point). However my extremely overweight 30 foot travel trailer, insurance in a crash, even if it's not my fault will crush me, police report will state that overweight vehicle and improper loading contributed to the crash and fault would be put on my vehicle as well. Just gotta roll dice and hope not to crash, (knock on wood)

OnThaLake and john1062[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Dec 22, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    No, they won't. They'll pay.

30. Dec 22, 2021 at 9:36 AM
    kmangino47

kmangino47 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 limited TRD off-road
    waiting waiting waiting to take delivery
    they may pay, but when the contributing factor of the MV Crash is my overloaded vehicle I will be found at fault or at least partially at fault on the report, which will result in raised rates or being dropped altogether. At least in NJ with NJTR1 accident reports, and thats only if (a big if) the cop knows anything about payload and most don't. I drive a 38 foot class A diesel pusher motorhome, most cops would know more about a spaceship before they could say anything about what loads I can safely carry on the highway.

Products Discussed in

To Top