1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payload Stickers?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by AnalysisParalysis, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Mar 16, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    Flagerr

Flagerr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited 4x4 Crewmax 5.5 White

Ive been looking everywhere for some documentation on Hitch receiver ratings, specifically tongue weight ratings. Where did this document come from? am I stupid and missed it from toyota website? Also why are tongue weight ratings different. shouldn't they all be the same hitch receiver with same tongue weight ratings on each version? also what about distributed weight?

2. Mar 16, 2022 at 4:18 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    It’s the spec sheet from the pressroom site. The weights are different because they’re 10% of the max trailer weight. The hitch should be the same for all trucks so let’s say the max tongue weight is 1200 lbs and max trailer weight is 12,000 lbs and just try to keep your GAWR and GCWR in check.

3. Mar 16, 2022 at 4:19 PM
    OnThaLake

OnThaLake New Member

Member:
    What happens when someone applies the same process to other brands of trucks?

For example, a competing truck has a 1700 pound payload sticker. If one were to weigh it and subtract from GVWR, would that competing truck also reveal an even higher payload than the sticker shows?

4. Mar 16, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    Flagerr

Flagerr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited 4x4 Crewmax 5.5 White
    Thank you.

Thats kind of what I assumed. 1200. my dry tongue weight is 1056. roughly 13.65% (above average)..... With GCWR of 9865. Payload of 2157, So I can probably only fill my trailer up 50% before I hit this Max tongue weight capacity. But I will be using a WDH, so can this be more with a WDH?

We like talking about going over numbers on here it seems. What are thoughts about going over this number if I end up with more stuff in my trailer, or won't it matter with a WDH.

More "worried" about this then Payload as I intend on only towing with less than 1/2 tank gas, removing back seat, tonneau, maybe even put the spare in the trailer.... etc when towing and im not taking long trips for with this set up.... Not Ideal but should be fine for now.

What exactly does my yellow sticker include? anyone know? tonneau? running boards? spray on? or all 3?

IMG_2747.jpg IMG_2748.jpg IMG_2525 3.HEIC.jpg IMG_2526.HEIC.jpg IMG_2540 2.HEIC.jpg 66785739223__C80164EB-B516-4D84-90AB-2D7508991F36.HEIC.jpg IMG_2617.HEIC.jpg

5. Mar 16, 2022 at 6:22 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    The tongue weight may go down to 10% depending once loaded up on where things go in the trailer. Also when you install the load leveling bars, it usually transfers some of the hitch weight to the trailer axles. When I hooked up my trailer at 8600 lbs, tongue weight was at 10.9% without the load leveling bars. Once the bars were installed it moved a bunch of weight around. Front axle gained 250 lbs of load, rear axle lost 385 lbs of load, and the trailer axle gained 133 lbs. That brought tongue weight down to around 9.3%. It’s not huge but it helps.

You’re going to have the weigh everything honestly, it’s hard to guess what the tongue weight will be once loaded. If you can manage to keep 10% tongue weight, you won’t be left with much additional payload capacity, maybe 300 lbs. Your truck has nearly all the options so I think they sticker payload is close to actual. I wouldn’t go over the vehicle GVWR since it affects suspension a lot. Like you said, you could increase payload by decreasing the gasoline in your gas tank, moving spare tire to the trailer, and removing tonneau cover. The yellow sticker in the door jamb probably covers the tonneau, the side steps, and the edge guards. Maybe the all-weather floormats but I’m not sure.

Flagerr and Archive like this.
  6. Mar 24, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    JamesAZ

JamesAZ New Member

Member:
    Not sure if this was posted already in this thread, but I'll go ahead and post this here. Really feels like it explains a lot when it comes to the notorious notion that the Tundra is more capable than what the yellow sticker likes to tell you it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o415voFQfQo&t=298s

Starts at 4:58 if for whatever reason it didn't take you to the timestamp I linked.

Mattedfred and slowpokepete like this.
  7. Mar 24, 2022 at 2:36 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    No, not with Ford F150's from what I have seen. Mine scaled within 20 lbs of the sticker and many others see the same. Ford calculates the actual payload for every truck specific to it's options. The ford specification guides actually list out the added weight for all the options and you can do the math yourself before you even buy the truck.

Toyota is being conservative on the Payload stickers even though their marketing literature shows higher payload capacities. I dont think we will ever see an actual payload sticker on a Tundra that reads 1900 lbs or whatever they claim the maximum is.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    OnThaLake[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 24, 2022 at 2:40 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Weigh your truck on a cat scale. Toyota is just stamping the same number on the payload sticker of every truck in that configuration weather its a 1794 or a SR. You gotta weight the truck as configured and then subtract that from the GVWR. Otherwise there may be unaccounted for payload that the sticker is not accounting for.

Have you crawled under the truck to see if there is a rating sticker on the hitch. Ford has a sticker on their hitches and its the same for all F150's whether the truck is rated for 6000 lbs or 12000 lbs. My 2014 has the max tow package, which comes with a beefier hitch than the standard F150. For that year the highest rating for max-tow was 11,300 lbs with an 1130 lb tongue weight. Thats what my hitch sticker says, even though my particular truck configuration is only rated for 11,100 lbs.

So if you crawl under you might find that the hitch on your truck is rated for the maximum possible tongue weight even if your truck is rated for a lower tow rating.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  9. Mar 24, 2022 at 2:46 PM
    poop_bubbles

poop_bubbles New Member

Member:
    My 2010's payload is 1,820 lbs. I routinely exceed that by 1,000 lbs or more. Air up the bags and it rides great, still stops like a camry.

rruff likes this.
  10. Apr 1, 2022 at 2:52 PM
    Ray D

Ray D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Winnipeg, MB
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Hybrid Limited L TRD OR 4X4
    The Canadian 2022 Tundra Hybrid Owner's Manual was released today and page 541 from the owner's manual identifies the model codes and vehicle capacity weights (i.e. payload capacity). I've reviewed various points of reference (including the breakdown by @xc_tc in post #426 in this thread) to come up with the following breakdown of the model code information. I'm thinking the Capstone trim is the PSVUZA code as it's unique but I may stand corrected. Please let me know if you confirm any of the information otherwise and I'll update it.

- VXKH70L-PSVLZA - Limited 2WD - 5.5' box
    - VXKH70L-PSVZZA - Platinum 2WD - 5.5' box
    - VXKH71L-PRVLZA - Limited 2WD - 6.5' box
    - VXKH71L-PRVZZA - Platinum 2WD - 6.5' box
    - VXKH75L-PSVLZA - Limited/TRD PRO 4WD - 5.5' box
    - VXKH75L-PSVUZA - Capstone 4WD - 5.5' box
    - VXKH75L-PSVZZA - Platinum/1794 4WD - 5.5' box
    - VXKH76L-PRVLZA - Limited 4WD - 6.5' box
    - VXKH76L-PRVZZA - Platinum/1794 4WD - 6.5' box

2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid - Model Code and Vehicle Capacity Weight - Canada.jpg

EDIT 15 Apr 2022 - I have confirmed the model code information is correct as verified with page 587 from the hybrid owner's manual.

Page 587 Hybrid Owner's Manual.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    gmcguire7220 and Mattedfred like this.
  11. Apr 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM
    toddtonis

toddtonis New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra 1794 4x4 CM
    stock
    Hello, new member here. I was reading this payload sticker thread and also watched the video above that JamesAS posted where the Toyota engineer references an SAE J2807 specification for towing on light duty trucks which are below GVWR of 8500lbs. I believe that this spec. already has cooked into the load rating a driver and passenger weight of 150 pounds each (yes, very light people) as well as tow hitch equipment of 70 pounds. That is a total of 370 pounds that is already calculated into the load carrying capacity. So the sticker that gives the load rating has already included some weight for the driver and single passenger and tow hitch equipment in that posted number. Additional passengers and luggage are not included.

Can someone on this forum check my assumption on this SAE spec. and let me know if I'm interpreting it correctly? This may be a source of why actual truck weights on scales and sticker weights aren't aligning. But, I'd like someone else who is knowledgeable on the SAE spec to weigh in.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  12. Apr 2, 2022 at 7:28 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I don’t think that’s correct. The language on the door jamb says “occupants and cargo” not to exceed XXXX lbs. A driver and passenger are occupants, so I don’t think this number assumes there are two people in the cab. Cargo includes anything else you put in the truck that wasn’t there when it left the factory, whether that’s in the bed or cab. Notice how your truck may have an extra little yellow sticker that says “payload reduced by _____”…this refers to port- or dealer-added options such as spray-in bed liner, steps, console safe, etc…

Any occupant and anything added to the truck after the factory counts against the payload number.

The one thing I think the door jamb capacity number assumes is that you have a full tank of fuel. Fuel is neither an occupant, nor is it cargo. The capacity to hold 38 gallons is one reason why payload is so low on these trucks. That door jamb number accounts for fuel.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  13. Apr 2, 2022 at 7:45 PM
    Ray D

Ray D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Winnipeg, MB
    Vehicle:
    I did read the same information regarding two 150 lb passengers in an on-line article at RV-project.com but I don’t know whether it’s accurate. I’d like to read the SAE J2807 standard but I’m not interested in the $87 price tag.

14. Apr 2, 2022 at 7:50 PM
    toddtonis

toddtonis New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra 1794 4x4 CM
    stock
    Thanks for the reply. I went back and reviewed the details of the SAE testing statement I found and re-read it after reading your response. I think I see my mistake. These weights (driver, passenger, and hitch equipment) that I referenced are used during the acceleration, braking, and cooling tests for SAE when calculating max. trailer weight rating, not the load carrying capacity. I think that was where I got confused.

Here is what I saw (taken from an article found on Jalopnik discussing SAE J2807):
    SAE J2807 also uses a specific set of assumptions to calculate maximum trailer weight ratings:
    • For light-duty full-size pickups (GVWR < 8,500 lbs.), SAE J2807 assumes that the tow vehicle includes any options with higher than 33 percent (market) penetration;
    • It assumes there is both a driver and passenger in the vehicle, each weighing 150 pounds;
    • It assumes that tow vehicles also include up to 70 pounds of aftermarket hitch equipment (where applicable)

15. Apr 2, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    This would make sense if each individual truck had its own payload number on the door sticker. But that is not the case. There are only like 8 possible payload values even though there are probably 100 different possible cab, bed, drive and option configurations. Toyota seems to just be slapping generic labels on everything.

all J2807 says is that the GCWR need to include 300 lbs of passengers and 75 lbs(i believe) of WDH, if required, when they are calculating the maximum trailer weight.

so basically, they can’t advertise the maximum trailer weight assuming an empty truck.

16. Apr 2, 2022 at 8:00 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I believe it may be calculated into the towing capacity but not into the payload capacity, which is most likely going to limit how much you can tow anyway.

ETA: I see you reached this conclusion on your own already. :thumbsup:

17. Apr 23, 2022 at 7:22 AM
    Dfrink

Dfrink New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 CM 4wd
    I have some encouraging information to share with everyone. I had picked out a 2022 SR5 crewmax, 4wd. The door sticker, like others here said 1395lb payload. Our local dealership is fantastic. They did a ton of searching, talking with toyota, etc. So we decided that when the truck came in we would take it to the scale down the road. They had the 33 gallon tank full for me. We weighed the truck, with no one in it. The GVWR listed on the door is 7210. The truck curb weight was 5560 lb. Do the math, you get a payload of 1650lb! I'm thinking that the payload listed on the door is considering a passenger weight(s) of 250lb. That's just a guess. I'm happy that the truck met our requirements (we will use it to tow a travel trailer). Proud new Tundra owners!

18. Apr 23, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    Ray D

Ray D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Winnipeg, MB
    Vehicle:
    Congratulations on the new Tundra and the positive news regarding payload! Once my hybrid arrives, my first stop will be the Cat Scale two minutes from the dealership to get the true vehicle weight. Enjoy your new truck and you’ll have to post about your towing experience.

19. Apr 23, 2022 at 12:26 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Definitely considering their heaviest spec, all factory options included.

20. Apr 23, 2022 at 2:17 PM
    Acedude

Acedude New Member

Member:
    Colorado Plateau
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sequoia SR5 4WD
    RCI aluminum front skid, Timbren rear bumpstops, Carhartt seat covers and cargo area cover, Weathertech floorliners, Hewitt SAIP bypass, genuinecoolingsystems trans cooler, Lexus front diff fill/drain plugs
    Me, I doubt J2807 applies to realworld towing. It's an arbitrary thing trying to get mfg'rs in a line instead of publishing whatever numbers they choose.

Even meeting J2807 didn't prevent TFL's F150 and Silverado from overheating towing at high altitude. The good news is TFL's '22 Tundra didn't overheat towing at high altitude.

Mattedfred likes this.
  21. Apr 23, 2022 at 2:21 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    That math, even if correct, still doesn't change the payload rating of the truck. It may make you feel better about exceeding the payload number assigned by the manufacturer, but that doesn't change the payload rating. That is determined by the manufacturer and unless you are getting it officially/properly recertified the official payload rating stands. Same goes for if you replace springs, struts, or add air bags. That rating is determined by the manufacturer and you can't change it.

22. Apr 23, 2022 at 2:56 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Disagree. It does change the available payload. GVWR is the number anyone cares about. Assuming those scales aren’t way off, Toyota put the wrong number on the door to reach GVWR.

In the event that he gets forced onto some scales to be weighed (which I don’t think will ever happen, by the way), they’re going to compare his weight to the GVWR on the door jamb, which happens to take 1650 lbs added to the truck to reach, not 1395 like the door jamb says.

They’re not going to take everything and everyone out of the truck and make sure it doesn’t exceed 1395 lb.

JamesAZ and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  23. Apr 23, 2022 at 3:11 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Nope. Doesn't increase it. You'd have to be certified to rate it. I'm speaking in the most strict sense of it, and it can't legally be done. Whether there would be reprecussions or issues is a completely different conversation. Google it. EVERYTHING will tell you you can't increase payload ratings.

upload_2022-4-23_16-10-19.jpg

upload_2022-4-23_16-11-4.jpg

upload_2022-4-23_16-11-24.jpg

24. Apr 23, 2022 at 3:17 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    I get what you’re saying. But I’m speaking practically. He can put 1650 lb in his truck before hitting GVWR. That’s all anyone is ever going to measure. No one is ever going to know that he has more than 1395 as long as he has less than 1650 because all they’ll measure is gross weight.

250 lb leeway isn’t insignificant. Good news indeed!

25. Apr 23, 2022 at 3:29 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I think somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread that they might be running 250 low in order to account for the driver. On average we are getting bigger as a nation after all. Tell me I'm wrong in thinking some bonehead out there would see a 1650 payload and think they could put a 1650 lb camper/load of mulch/side by side in the bed of their truck without leaving any room for a driver.

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Apr 23, 2022 at 3:30 PM
    sparky412

sparky412 New Member

Member:
    SW Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 OR CM 6.5 MGM
    Agreed even CMV vehicles all that is ever measured is GVWR not payload

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Apr 23, 2022 at 3:31 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Yeah you’re not wrong there!

28. Apr 23, 2022 at 5:10 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    The weight capacity does not exclude the weight of occupants. The sticker literally says it. Toyota doesn’t really make a sticker for each truck considering what factory options it has, it makes one sticker for each variation (VXKA35L-######) and it shows in the owners manual each configs load capacity.

Archive likes this.
  29. Apr 23, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    The GVWR is the official number. The payload is just a calculation based on the GVWR and the curb weight.

Let's say I have two trucks with GVWRs of 7200 lbs and payload stickers of 1500 lbs for some reason even though the first one weighs 5000 lbs and the second one weighs 7000 lbs. If I put 2200 lbs of stuff in the first one and 200 lbs in the second one, they're both within the manufacturer's capacity specs, despite what the payload stickers say.

rruff and xc_tc like this.
  30. Apr 23, 2022 at 5:19 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    You're trying to apply true math to something that manufacturers have a huge amount of leeway with. They don't run a formula for it. I wish they did. It's nebulous and they phuck around with it for marketing all the time. But, the official payload rating of the truck is determined solely by the manufacturer and there is nothing the consumer can do to increase it.

Products Discussed in

To Top