1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking Support Brake Malfunction / Grill shutter malfunction ... and more!!

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Tundra39, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Mar 12, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    Tundra39

Tundra39 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road 6.5
    So yesterday I got the parking brake and grill shutter messages pop up along with check engine light and rear parking disabled light . Today along with previous message I got 12 volt battery charging system malfunction and stop & start system malfunction with blinking stop/start light. Things I know grill shutter fuse 7.5 amp is still good and no corrision in grill shutter connector, charging system still charging and parking brake actuators still work and vehicle battery tests good (I have a tester). Basically have Christmas tree of lights on dash and all the messages always cycling in center screen. Anyone with ideas ? Maybe software issue?. Truck been trouble free to powertrain wise to this point. Just had to deal with the door rubber issues and clicking "a" pillar issue. Truck is SR5 trd off road with 20000km. I guess back to dealership. Anyone with with same issues with confirmed repair?

Kbeck70 and Taikowaza like this.
  2. Mar 12, 2023 at 12:31 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None

BeauDacious likes this.
  3. Mar 13, 2023 at 1:13 AM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    Any chance that your battery was getting low? I experienced this issue when I was running the truck for a good while on accessory mode without the engine running. In my case, I believe this occurred when the battery was getting low, or wasn’t being charged.

You described it well as a “Christmas tree of lights on dash and all the messages always cycling in center screen.” Every time I tried to start the truck, I got this list of error messages along with various noises.

I ended up jumping my Tundra using jumper cables from my Sequoia, and once started all was fine. I charged my battery and was good to go. I learned not to run the truck for any period of time on accessory mode only. I have never run into this issue with other Toyota trucks.

4. Mar 17, 2023 at 11:10 AM
    Tundra39

Tundra39 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road 6.5
    Update .... Good and bad news lol . Initial thought was ECM needed to be replaced. Turns out ECM replacement is not needed. It is battery state sensor on negative post of battery. This little sensor is becoming a very common failure point and reeks havoc on the LIN ( local interconnect network). Basically anything on the network can be affected but most common is the grille & parking malfunction scenario . Unfortunately the sensor is on backorder. Spoke with 4 or 5 dealership in Canada trying to find one but no luck. Yes I know truck is under full warranty but if I could have found one for $300 cdn versus truck sitting Id gladly just order it. My dealership is being excellent to deal with , Just trying to help the process along lol

5. Mar 24, 2023 at 3:20 AM
    Tundra39

Tundra39 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road 6.5
    Update ..... I was able to locate battery state sensor and got it shipped to Canada. Toyota tech installed the sensor and all is well. I asked my service advisor of eta of sensor in Canada and looks like I would have been waiting til roughly mid April.

pwpblue, Kap1 and Kbeck70 like this.
  6. Mar 26, 2023 at 3:17 AM
    Kbeck70

Kbeck70 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver SR5 Crewmax Tundra
    TIres
    Hello there, I was reading your thread and I think I have the same issue. My "12v Battery Charging System Malfunction" light came on a couple of times over the last few weeks. I had it checked and alternator and battery were fine. Last night it came on and the "Stop and Start system Malfunction" warning came on and the yellow (A with the circle arrow OFF) light was flashing. It was on constantly for almost 2 hours trying to get home. Nonetheless I found your thread and was curious if replacing that battery state sensor completely fixed it and have you had any other issues? Granted it's only been a couple days, but still.

7. Mar 26, 2023 at 3:23 AM
    Kbeck70

Kbeck70 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TIres
    Hello there, I was reading your thread and I think I have the same issue. My "12v Battery Charging System Malfunction" light came on a couple of times over the last few weeks. I had it checked and alternator and battery were fine. Last night it came on and the "Stop and Start system Malfunction" warning came on and the yellow (A with the circle arrow OFF) light was flashing. It was on constantly for almost 2 hours trying to get home. Nonetheless I found your thread and was curious if replacing that battery state sensor completely fixed it and have you had any other issues? Granted it's only been a couple days, but still.

8. Mar 26, 2023 at 3:24 AM
    Kbeck70

Kbeck70 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TIres
    Btw what was the "clicking A pillar" issue?

9. Mar 26, 2023 at 4:25 AM
    Tundra39

Tundra39 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road 6.5
    Yes the battery current sensor has fixed the issue. The clicking A pillar issue is stillon going . Headliner was changed but still there. Thought now is to remove the windshield and reseal it. Just waiting for replacement windshield ( its backordered) incase the windshield cracks when removing it. Noise goes away in warmer weather. Noise was still there when headliner was removed. They installed the new headliner because of some sort of issue when removing the original .

10. Mar 26, 2023 at 4:54 AM
    Kbeck70

Kbeck70 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TIres
    That's great news about that sensor I'll be getting the dealer to fix that this week. They were puzzled when checking it because of course it wasn't doing it when I had it there, but they could see the warning message in the radio under vehicle alerts.
    That's crazy about that clicking noise, I hope that's not yet another issue with these trucks that will become "Tundrademic". I have had 5 Toyotas over the years and have never had one issue but I tell ya these new Tundras are cursed! New release blues I figure. Good luck with the windshield replacement and keep us posted.
    Btw check out my thread on AC issues in case you start having problems with cooling. Be easy my friend.

Tundra39[OP] likes this.
  11. Jan 19, 2024 at 4:45 PM
    Jh22lunar

Jh22lunar New Member

Member:
    22 sport here. Have the shutter alarm, brake alarm, and no rear collision with the check engine light. Also have the clicking from the drivers side steering wheel area that "cannot be found." Bed has been popping and cracking over bumps since day one. Drivers window rattles when cracked enough to be covered for the rain guards. I've had a 14, a 17, and a 19 and this is by far the worst truck I've ever owned. Time to switch brands.

12. Jan 19, 2024 at 5:43 PM
    Tundranewcomer

Tundranewcomer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 MBM Platinum w/ power running board and advanced package
    Or you could take it to the dealer and have it addressed under warranty. Just a thought.

Hella Krusty likes this.
  13. Jan 19, 2024 at 5:48 PM
    Jh22lunar

Jh22lunar New Member

Member:
    Tundranewcomer...Thanks for your input. It's been at the dealer more than It's been on the road. Have any more good information?

14. Jan 19, 2024 at 5:54 PM
    Tundranewcomer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nah but I’m glad you could double your post count with that comment. Hope they have been giving you a good loaner.

15. Jan 19, 2024 at 6:49 PM
    Jh22lunar

Jh22lunar New Member

Member:
    Just seen this post and thought I'd vent. On a serious note, with 10,000 miles the truck has been in the shop five times now. Transmission was replaced at 1900 miles from slipping 1st to 2nd. Rattles and bed creaking has been "can not find" or "can not duplicate" Recalls for the brake line and ecu program. Now the check engine light for grill shutter and support brake. Unfortunately the loaner is usually a corolla with my dealer, which is what I'm stuck with now. Tough pill to swallow for a 50k truck

16. Jan 19, 2024 at 6:53 PM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    Find a different dealer comes to mind

17. Jan 19, 2024 at 6:57 PM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    When I bought my truck I turned down the extended warranty, its a Toyota, not required. One year later ....I go in this Saturday to get it. Sitting there all set up for me. I haven't had any of the problems others have, but I don't trust it

18. Jan 19, 2024 at 7:21 PM
    Tundranewcomer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have been trying to get some quotes for the extended warranty.

19. Jan 19, 2024 at 7:22 PM
    Tundranewcomer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Corolla is a tough pill to swallow. Ouch.

20. Jan 19, 2024 at 9:07 PM
    Tundra009

Tundra009 New Member

Member:
    Concord, CA
    Took my truck to the dealership couple of days ago for the check engine light and brake malfunction error. Turned out there is a recall for the brake malfunction and shutter. Dealership also completed the temp fix for the fuel hose.

Kap1 likes this.
  21. Jan 19, 2024 at 9:55 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    If you're in the US, get it from Jerry, see the extended warranty thread

SC4333 likes this.
  22. Jan 20, 2024 at 4:40 AM
    Kbeck70

Kbeck70 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TIres
    When I had these same issues the grill shutter etc and the 12V charging issues there were 2 things replaced on mine. The alternator and battery state sensor mounted to the battery itself. There were a laundry list of little annoying issues with the 22 I had. I worked through them all and it turned out to be a fantastic truck. Recently my dealership called me and had an excess of 24 tundras and offered me a trade I couldn't refuse. I have a 24 now with a lot of extras and no issues as of yet. Toyota went back to the drawing board it appears and corrected several of these issues. I had several conversations with Toyota Brand and got really good results. I had all these issues documented at the dealership and have told everyone I know that are having these problems to have their dealer contact my dealer for info on how to correct. Apparently that has worked for several people. Nonetheless my dealership is Eastershore Toyota in Daphne, Al. and the guy to talk to is Jacob. He is an excellent service guy and has an excellent crew in the back. Good Luck!

Mattedfred likes this.
  23. Jan 20, 2024 at 6:56 AM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    Buy it thru the dealer. You have up to 3 years from date of purchase. There is a surcharge but it’s like $200

Products Discussed in

To Top