1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking Brake Adjustment

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by millerstone, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    TRXTER

TRXTER New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 5.7L Silver Sky Metallic Tundra 1794
    Just getting started.... Start X remote starter.

In my case, the e brake pedal did not engage any clicks for the first bit when pushed down. When it was released the cable assembly under the driver's door by catalytic converter was really slack and I could push/pull on the cable by hand that went to the foot pedal. By loosening off the jam nut I was able to tighten the inner nut then snug up the jam nut again to keep it all tight. If the cable is loose I would start here first before messing with the adjustments at the actual pedal assembly. Not sure if this helps but I figured any reply may help. Good luck.

olshaggy[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Feb 9, 2023 at 10:15 AM
    olshaggy

olshaggy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2016 regular cab long bed 4WD SR
    So I jacked up the rear wheels, opened up the left under-dash panel, and adjusted the nuts on the parking brake cable so the wheels locked when the pedal was depressed to 6-9 clicks. Still wouldn't hold the truck on even a very minor incline when in neutral. Took it into a shop yesterday. They said they adjusted the star wheel to expand the brake shoes as much as they could (as this video shows), but there was no improvement at all. Now they're claiming that I shouldn't actually expect the parking brake to hold the truck on a incline in neutral. I've never had a vehicle that couldn't do that. Are they full of it? Are ya'll able to adjust yours to hold solidly on an incline in neutral?

3. Feb 9, 2023 at 10:21 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    :rofl:
    this was the only item I had Toyota handle under warranty.
    Yes, the parking brake can be adjusted to hold the weight of the truck on a slight incline in neutral. To be fair, Toyota seemed to have lots of them leave the factory not in that condition.

4. Feb 9, 2023 at 10:21 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    My recollection is there is an adjust at the brake, but also an adjustment that can be done on the cable.

ETA see page 1.

5. Feb 9, 2023 at 10:25 AM
    olshaggy

olshaggy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2016 regular cab long bed 4WD SR
    Yeah, I adjusted the cable. It's in spec (6-9 clicks). Seems like it should be the star wheel adjustment shown in that video, but the shop I took it to said they adjusted that as tight as they could without causing the brakes to bind. Guess I need to either find a better mechanic or attempt to do this myself...

6. Feb 9, 2023 at 1:01 PM
    TRXTER

TRXTER New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 5.7L Silver Sky Metallic Tundra 1794
    Just getting started.... Start X remote starter.

Definitely, the brake should hold the truck. Mine does. Maybe search out another mechanic or try and tackle yourself but I think that last mechanic is wrong. I hate to suggest it but could always try the Stealership.

7. Feb 15, 2023 at 10:07 AM
    crishard

crishard Occasional Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cris
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red CM
    3" level in front, ICI Bumper & Skid, 12k lb winch, UCAs, Radtech 2.5s, Kenda 35s, Dual Batteries, 3500w inverter
    I just failed inspection due to the parking brake. I knew the shoes were thin & was expecting it. Replaced the shoes, followed adjustment procedure & still have 13 clicks on the brake pedal. Tightened the brake cable about an inch of threads & still have 13 clicks. The pedal starts much higher & is noticeably stiffer but I can't get it to bottom out @ 8 clicks. The parking brake will now hold in reverse but not in drive. WTF am I missing?

8. Feb 15, 2023 at 10:19 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Anyone who's done drum brakes should make easy work of this.....

Retired...finally likes this.
  9. Feb 15, 2023 at 10:37 AM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L 4WD DC TRD
    2020 GD 2670MK Travel Trailer
    The parking brake shoes are inside the "top hat" on the rotor. The adjustment is made through the hole in the face of the rotor but you need to align it with the star wheel. Finding the correct rotor position on the hub to get to the parking brake shoe adjuster is a little difficult. Based on the clock face, it is about 6:30 on the right and 4:00 on the left (for my 2017). You have to be dead on to do it. These shoes should almost never wear out - they hardly get used at all but the shoes and the brake mechanism can get jacked up if someone tries to removes the rotor and does not back them off (ask me how I know). They do not automatically adjust so if you back them off to remove the rotor, you have to readjust them after you install the new rotor.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    AZBoatHauler and olshaggy like this.
  10. Feb 15, 2023 at 3:22 PM
    crishard

crishard Occasional Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cris
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red CM
    3" level in front, ICI Bumper & Skid, 12k lb winch, UCAs, Radtech 2.5s, Kenda 35s, Dual Batteries, 3500w inverter
    Yeah, the adjustment hole should be 180 degrees opposite from where the cable comes to the back of the drum.

11. Mar 16, 2024 at 6:35 AM
    Lassie

Lassie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    HKM
    TAMPA, FL
    I asked Dealership if they can adjust. They said they need to open the parking brake and adjust quoting $99. I am wondering.

Products Discussed in

To Top