1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting my new tailpipes. VHT or Por15?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by TuFerLife, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Apr 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    3" Toytec Eibach coilovers with .5" coachbuilder shims and Coachbuilder +3 shackles, JBA Upper Control Arms, Fuel Assault 20x10 -18 offset on 35x12.50 Cooper ST Maxx, Amp research stepbars, JBA Long tube headers, custom mid pipes and TRD Replacement exhaust system by Dirty Deeds, TRD Black Chrome Tailpipes, Bullit liner spray in liner, S&B CAI, Katzkin leather with Degreez heated and cooling system, Husky floorliners, Coachbuilder roof rack with 13 Rigid pods and Switchpro switch, TRD skid plate, Pop-N-Lock, Auto Tailgate down mod, Rattletrap sound deadener in headliner and door panels. Kenwood DDX 9906XR headunit with full Tech 12 volts sound system and dash cam.
    Got my new Black Chrome TRD tailpipes, and I was looking at painting the actual tailpipes, just because I've seen some rust issues. And I think it would tie in the black chrome tips a little bit better.

Which paint have y'all used? My guess is I'm going to need 2 cans to spray 2 tailpipes, and VHT is only like $10.

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-...f-extreme-high-temperature-coating/509746_0_0

The Por15 is like $25 a bottle!!! :eek2:

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-High-...55436082&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&th=1

The reviews look subpar for VHT, talking about flaking and bubbling, but my guess is that they're putting it on headers, and I would think they're getting a lot hotter than a tail pipe. I just don't want to do this twice...

Any recommendations?

2. Apr 16, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Yeah, forget about the painting...it's an exhaust pipe fer cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

But, if you must, use the VHT...it's intended for high temps. I don't know that POR15 makes any claims about standing up to high temps. I know for a fact that it is NOT UV resistant, and needs a topcoat if it's to be used where exposed to sunlight (Probably even it it's indirect).

Edit: My bad, that's a new POR-15 product. Uh...choose whatever is cheapest.

TuFerLife[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Beardedbeast

Beardedbeast New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Killeen TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 tundra crewmax
    ALOT!
    I use KBS extreme temperature coating on my exhaust systems with great lasting results,a little expensive but worth it in my opinion

2963FBA9-1DF2-4DAA-9536-3D793DFA7EDA.jpg

4. Apr 16, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Faht Nocker

Faht Nocker Platinum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Woody
    Milky Way
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super Fast White Platinum 4x4 Faux PRO Tundra
    Only can tell you what I have read. Most high temp paint needs to be cured in an oven lol or on the vehicle. Most engine enamels are high enough temp. and do not need to be cured.

5. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    acsubie

acsubie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Vehicle:
    2018 Trd Sport
    I used VHT on my old exhaust tip.. sanded/primed/sprayed... came out great and I didn’t cure it after and held held for the 3 weeks I had that exhaust

Since the TRD pipes are a bigger piece than the tip, I’ve been looking at using high temp paint as an option just to have a more consistent finish and for ease, but have yet to find a decent product that doesn’t require such a PIA finishing procedure

Products Discussed in

To Top