1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint Protection Film

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Voyagermike, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM
    Voyagermike

Voyagermike [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California
    Looking into getting the paint protection film installed from the dealer but the sales guy wasn't 100% sure what area it all covered. I looked at a Tacoma on the lot with the film installed and wasn't to impressed with the coverage and the film not being "tucked". Is it worth it or should i look elsewhere like Xpel or a 3M installer? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Mar 21, 2017 at 2:17 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    I don't know what they are charging you for paint protection. Here is what I did-

I had XPEL paint protection installed on my entire hood, bumper, headlights, grill, fenders, w/s pillars by a local shop when I bought my Platinum new in 14. The install took about 5 hours and cost was around $1000. Having the entire hood done is a lot of a material and is more expensive, but I did. Had my wife's new 14 Honda Accord EXL done as well including the entire hood. Gotta ask yourself, what is the cost of repainting the front of any vehicle including the entire hood?

45k and a few years later the paint on my Tundra is looking perfect, no chips, no dings, no scratches or swirl marks. I don't even think about road rash on my paint when trucking down the highway. I follow up with Plexus polish after a hand wash and I am very happy with the end result..super shine. XPEL is very tuff material and does not yellow or fade or peel and can be removed. It's not something I would reccomend trying to install as it is pretty expensive material if you don't know what your doing. The trick is finding a really good trained and experienced installer. My installer does Porsches, Mazi's, Lambos, Bentley's, Benz, Bimmers and yes even Tundras lol! Hence why I picked him for the job.

If you plan on keeping a vehicle for the long haul it's worth it IMO. If you roll out of your vehicle every few years, save your money. FWIW..

http://www.xpel.com

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. Mar 21, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    Sooner77

Sooner77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD PRO
    Predator Pro Step Bar, BackFlip MX4, XPEL Paint Protection Film, Husky X-ACT
    I found a local detail shop like Patriot that specializes in high end cars and XPEL applications. Mine covers all the front, little more the half the hood down to the wheel wells, side mirrors, even behind the door handles, and rear bumper. It was about $750, wish I would have went with the full hood option.

4. Mar 21, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Nice! You did well at $750! Agreed, the entire hood is more $$$ but worth it.

Voyagermike[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    louscrw

louscrw all jacked up on Mt. Dew

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    ...or do like I did to my wife's car and wrap the entire vehicle ;). Bonus x2, protect paint and got to change colors. At some point, we'll strip the vinyl off to trade/sell, and the paint will be flawless underneath

6. Mar 21, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    louscrw

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    we did a matte grey aluminum on my wife's car

http://atlantacustomwraps.com/portfolio/matte-wraps/ (The Lexus IS)

7. Mar 21, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    louscrw

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    not trying to thread jack, so to answer the OP question, and in line with @Patriot , doing XPEL protection or a full wrap is definitely worth it in my book. Think of it as an investment of a $50K vehicle's paint. But, I would highly encourage finding a shop that specializes in it vs letting the dealer do it. Just my .02

8. Mar 21, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    Voyagermike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California
    After seeing what the PPF covered on the Tacoma I'd rather have Xpel do the PPF. The closest installer is about a hour away and will schedule a appointment when my truck arrives in a few weeks. The cost from Toyota was $395 and doesn't cover much. I will get a few quotes in the mean time.

9. Mar 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Very cool.. and have him do your windshield pillars as well. I think you will be glad you did. I have painted Silver Sky mirror caps arriving in a few days. They will get XPEL for sure.

FYI - XPEL will only adhere to painted surfaces.

10. Mar 22, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    HBdirtbag

HBdirtbag New Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 limited cm
    Man, there is a california tax added out here. I'm about to redo my 911 and they want to charge me $2,000 for bumper, full hood, fenders, lights.

And that's after multiple quotes from a few shops that use Xpel.

11. Mar 22, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    Voyagermike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California
    Damn. I haven't had the chance to get any quotes just yet.

12. Jul 15, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    Siglersj

Siglersj New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport double cab 4x4 magnetic grey metallic
    I just got a quote for my 2019 Tundra double cab TRD Sport. Full hood, fenders, bumper, headlights Mirrors and wrapped edges.

$ 2,330.00

I had no idea this Xpell was that expensive! With that said these guys are well known for their quality work. I not sure though as this is a lot of money. Does that sound like a bit pricey to you guys considering what will be covered on my new truck?

War Machine likes this.
  13. Jul 15, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Maybe a little? I’ve looked into buying the stuff just out of curiosity. The material alone for what your talking about (hood, fenders, mirrors, etc.) was about a thousand bucks. I assume the shop gets a better price than the public, so the labor is most of the price. Just shop around and see.

It’s supposed to be the absolute bomb though.

MotoTundra likes this.
  14. Jul 16, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    avgasman

avgasman New Member

Member:
    It never ends does it?
    I did the exact same install with Xpel that you did. Totally worth it IMO.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  15. Jul 16, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I went with SunTek Paint Protection Film and bought the pieces I wanted from www.lamin-x.com

I installed it all myself. Very tedious, real pain, but I'm glad I did it.

You can get the templates from lamin-x which show the options as far as coverage.

If you aren't down to do the install yourself you can also search for installers on Sun Tek's page I believe.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Pinay and SouthBoundSteve like this.
  16. Jul 16, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    Travo60

Travo60 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM Cement
    I installed 3M scotchgard pro on the tundra myself in my garage. I got the material precut off eBay. As long as you are patient and don’t rush through, it comes out pretty nice. I would do the front end and rocker panels for sure!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Jul 16, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    I did the lower parts of my doors with x-pel armor myself, glad I did. The edges are starting to show some dirt but still worth it. I think when I replace it this winter my paint will be mint under it. image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top