1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Owners. Any regrets? What drove your choice?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by mgh-pa, May 29, 2015.

1. May 29, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    mgh-pa

mgh-pa [OP] Perpetually a New Member.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    I'm new here, but not new to Toyota (see my introduction post). I'm looking to potentially upgrade my 05 Tacoma AC to make room for my our first baby on the way. For now, I'm looking at a truck that will last me well into the future. My current truck as 152k on it and I would keep driving it if it weren't for the cab/baby seat issue. My last Tacoma I sold with 192k. I don't like vehicle payments so I plan to keep this next truck for a VERY long time.

With that being said, of course the Tundra is my first choice from power/looks alone. I haven't test driven anything yet. Initially I was drawn to the '15 F150 2.7/3.5's, but the increased price premium of them over a Tundra, even with a 4-5mpg improvement between the two (that may be generous...I'm assuming I can get 14-15mpg mixed out of a DC), it would take me 6+ years to make back the savings in fuel.

I'm going to go into this with an open mind and test drive them all. On paper and based on initial reviews, and all of the reading I've been doing, my thoughts are basically this:

I don't think the Tundras have the nicest interiors, they certainly are on the low end for mileage, but then again, I'm sort of drawn to the "low frills" truck. I like that there aren't 1,000 different packages to choose from, and a million little electronic devices and add-ons. The mileage varies from horrendous (10-11mpg) to average (16-17). Still some concern over road noise from what I'm reading which I will have to test out. I HATE how loud my Tacoma is on the highway (granted the Duratrac's don't help). Paint quality may still be a problem (it's also terrible on my Tacoma).

Of course, the BIG one for me is rust. My Tacoma has been washed underneath by me meticulously for the past 7.5 years I've owned it (bought it used in 2007). However, my frame is rusting pretty badly (thankfully no perforations). This is actually one of the main things that is making me a little gun shy coming back to Toyota.

So with that being said, do you have any regrets with your purchase? For those of you that have a little older model (2nd and 1st gen), would you buy again given your choices in the fullsize market? Why or why not?

Thanks!

2. May 29, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    FunkinTundra

FunkinTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7 CM
    OME614 full suspension\ Ekstrom design 3" shackles and poly bushing kit\ 295/70r18 Toyo MTs/ +20 offset Fuel Anzas\ 8" BAmuffler....etc...
    I loved the body style change in 07 so I new I wanted to check one out when the time came. It was all over after I test drove it, I could care less what the inside looked like, gas milage, etc... It was just a sweet ride. So I got a bare bones, bench seat crewmax and I wouldn't change it for anything. I absolutely love this truck. I know 2 guys that drive ecotoots for work and they both had huge spark plug issues before 30000 miles:eek:

Yeah the gas mileage isn't the best but I didn't buy it as a "gas saver".
    Yeah the interior is "boring" but its a truck and I didn't need a lot of "fluff".
    When my truck was stock it was whisper quiet on the roads and highways...not so much anymore:D (but I love it)

NO REGRETS! Best vehicle I have owned and I would get a 2nd gen again in a heartbeat... hell... I'd love a 1st gen as a project truck. I just think that toyota did really well designing the 5.7 and it would be hard driving something else. Plus!! Who else offers a supercharger with a 50000 mile warranty?!?! :thumbsup:

3. May 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    95.5 Tacoma guy here too 270,000 miles on mine still going strong on the factory clutch ;).

I have a tundra 03. would i buy it again HELL YEA. Solid truck no worries and no problems. Only thing i had go bad was the camber bolts froze up on me. I had to replace the whole ULA but for a truck that was up north for 3 years and then come down here to the south i kind of expect it. Under normal for how old she 12 years is few bushings are going out ( found that out on my last pm i did) no leaks nothing to report or fix.

Big thing i see is your transporting a baby soon. FYI go look at some of the crash ratings on the ford and others see who is at the top.

As for rust they all will rust even fords new (beer can body ) as we call it will still rust in time. all metals do in time living in the salt states. I use to live in chicago i know about rust. undercoat every year anyone?

As for paint i believe toyota as fixed most of paint problems, but again with you living up north with salt its hard to keep paint perfect on any truck.

I will give you some credit. Yes our interiors are not the best, but does the interior matter is the truck is always in the shop? Toyota keeps it simple still in that department.

4. May 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Good point. I've been reading up on the RAM's (I know, I know). They have a TON of perks the Tundra doesn't, but I also have to ask if I really need them. Heated steering wheel, seats, modern UI Nav Screen, loaded driving data display, good sound system, etc., In the end, my Tacoma is bare bones by today's standards, but man, it just starts up and goes day in and day out. It has literally NEVER been to a dealer for work. Only work to it was body damage from an accident.

5. May 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    You know why they put that crap on there, so when it breaks, only the dealers can get the parts so they keeps them in business. More crap on the truck, more likely your repairing it at dealer.

As for Ram :crapstorm:.

6. May 29, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    No regrets here. I came from a 2011 (oil burning) Silverado. Truck only had 49K miles. Been with GM since I started driving but when I took my truck to them (under warranty) and explained it was loosing oil, they told me it was designed to burn a quart every 2000 miles (bullsh*t). Well not a good answer to me. Took it to the local Toyota dealer and traded it for a 2015 Tundra. Haven't looked back. I love my Tundra!

7. May 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    One thing to keep in mind too is what rear end ratio is being used when you see all the TV adds by the big three concerning MPG. I have the 4.3 : 1 (gas hog, but I can tow) Pretty sure the big 3's like GM are using as high as 3.4 : 1 diff's on their high MPG trucks. No tow power. Good on gas. Always read the fine print. Also the more goodies the more they break. If your not in a hurry special order a Tundra to your liking. (Can you even still do this anymore with any brand?)

8. May 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    14txtss

14txtss New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2017 attitude black platinum 5.7 4x4
    Getcha self a Tundra, you won't regret it. I had an F-150 for 10 years, it was a solid truck for the most part. I would probably buy another one IF they quit making Tundra's......I bought a 14 last year and I absolutely love it! I am averaging about 15-15.5 in mixed city/highway conditions. This is a 5.7 4x4 TSS (stock equipment).

What really sold me on these trucks, other than my current positive experience with them is this. Someone I do business with has one that is 8 years old and has 220,000 miles on it. He says it has NEVER been to the shop other than for routine oil changes. That's all I needed to hear.

I like Toyota's in general. I bought my daughter a used 2001 4Runner about 2 years ago. It has 170,000 on it and still is a nice vehicle. Even with the turd of an engine it has, from a power standpoint, I still expect many more miles of use.

9. May 29, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    On a side note (no need to start additional threads), I never really kept a tab on prices through the years of the 1st and 2nd generation Tundras, but I remember reading over on TW and TTORA that a lot of guys were buying Tundras for not much more than Tacoma's on the lot. Then I started looking at prices paid threads on various forums, and it looks like a lot of people back in 2007-2011 were buying Tundra's (albeit not loaded CM's), for around $31-$34k OTD. I've done some pricing and found the truck I would want if I went with a Tundra ('15 DC TRD with SR5 Upgrade Package) and it's listed at $34,500 with rebates, but it's also in MD. Around here, they're all in the $38k-$40K for DC's, and $40k+ for CM's. Granted, the pricing is still in line with all other manufacturers (actually much cheaper than '15 F150's).

10. May 29, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Forgot to address this earlier. I did research this, and it looks as though the Tundra does fairly well in this department but Ford looks like it was a little higher (speaking about '15 models specifically).

11. May 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    From the ratings I've looked at, 2015 Tundra scored high in most categories except average in Roll Over. Don't roll it.

12. May 29, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Awesome truck. No regrets except for maybe now being jelly of the `14+.
    I'll keep this truck around for a while though. No need to upgrade.

13. May 29, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Only regret I had was when I purchased my 2012 Tundra TRD DC...I should have gone with the crewmax as the rear seats weren't that spacious (I have two kids...age 2yrs and 8yrs)
    I traded that in for a 2014 TRD limited and LOVE it! The interior was re-designed in 2014, and there is more than enough room in those back seats!
    Gas mileage? Its a truck...cant expect the best, and every trucks mileage will vary based on the driver....if you go v8, go big...you will probably regret not getting the 5.7 if you choose the smaller 4.6 option...

14. May 29, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Seems like most who have the 4.6L want the 5.7L after the fact if they had the choice.

15. May 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I almost went with the 4.6 the first time..it was just gutless compared to the 5.7 and didnt want to regret it...go big or go home, right?

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 29, 2015 at 5:40 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Like buying an R/T or shopping for an Indian or Harley with the smallest engine to save gas.

17. May 29, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Oh yeah. The whole CM vs. DC. Something I've definitely gone back and forth on while doing research. I think that as long as our 4runner stays as our main mode of transport with the kiddos, the DC will suffice.

18. May 29, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I got a decent deal on my DC plus it had super low miles, just under 49K at 7.5 yrs. The extra room of a max would be great but I need the longer bed. My grand kids are small but fit the DC OK. The max is better for that or if you are carrying a crew to a job site. They would sell a lot more Max's with a 6.5 ft bed. At least for the work truck crowd.

19. May 29, 2015 at 10:15 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    I bought my Tundra because Prius! Bought a Prius new in 2005. Drove it to 150,000 and spent a grand total of $98 in unscheduled maintenance. Was still running like new when I sold it. Which sold me on Toyota. When it came time to get a truck, Toyota was at the top of my list. Picked up a sweet 2008 DC with 32k miles. I could have almost bought a new truck for what I paid because these trucks really hold their value.

Unlike some of the other posters, I really like all the bells and whistles. I really like Toyota's Nav system. Which is saying something since most factory nav systems aren't worth the DVD they boot from.

I get about 14.7 in mixed driving which is IMO not too bad given the beast of an engine (5.7L). The transmission is smooth as silk, and I really like the select-shift feature when towing. My last truck was a 2000 Dodge Durango bought new. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from Dodge if you don't want to be rebuilding the transmission every few years.

I bought the DC instead of a Crewmax, because I needed the longer bed. The only minor regret about that decision is that the DC does not come with the roll down rear window, but hey, life's about compromise.

I had a fleeting romance with the Nissan Titan, because I like the interior of my wife's Armada. Unfortunately, The Titan just did not measure up in the towing department.

I can't speak to the rust issue, as this truck has always lived in the Republik of Kalifornia. No issues at all with the paint.

All that said, you are on a Tundra forum, so most of us are going to be pretty biased towards what truck?

Black Wolf likes this.
  20. May 30, 2015 at 4:30 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    The select shift w/Tow Haul is probably my favorite feature. I have a 8 ft camper and a 17 ft trailer that I use often. Tow/Haul is sweet. I can't imagine anything shorter than 6.5 ft bed. Spent 17yrs in the Republik. I left when most of the aerospace industry jumped ship to friendlier climes. I used to use a 30 mpg Corolla for my commuter car there. One day I roughly added up all the years of my life wasted sitting on Republik freeways in a place I could hardly recognize any more and jumped ship too. Never looked back. Still a huge Dodger fan, miss the ethnic food, little Tokyo, and China town. THE beach.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  21. May 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Very true. I have found, however, that the Toyota forums seem to be the least biased than most. I'm not afraid to admit the shortcomings of the Tacoma I own (fuel mileage isn't good for its size, frame rust, weak leaf springs, poor paint, low seating position, etc. I still really like the truck, but I like to keep an open mind when considering vehicles.

Side note, I saw you mentioned that you bought a used truck. I know they hold their value tremendously, so what made you spend almost what you would on a new one with a used model?

Black Wolf likes this.
  22. May 30, 2015 at 5:19 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    My situation was similar to bobeasts'. Loved my 09 Tacoma but it had the small but reliable 2.7L. I realized its shortcomings when I took a job in Anchorage. It's possibe I might still have it if it had the V6, but there were so many Tundra that caught my eye while in Anchorage I knew I had to go large. I saw my current Tundra on the lot (April 2014) and made the trade the next day. Paid 22K in 2010 for the Tacoma and was valued at 20K at trade in 4 yrs later. Paid 25K for my Tundra. I think base price for a new Grade 4.6L Tundra then was around 27.5K but my 07 5.7L Tundra had only 48k+ miles was leveled, had decent rims and Nitto's. Local prices here for this zip are always higher the kbb or Nada. Wranglers go for stupidly high prices here in metro Denver. The Rocky Mt might have something to do with that. The dealer near me rarely has more than 2 or 3 used Tundras and maybe 5 or 6 Tacoma's on the lot and it's a big dealer. Equals high trade in value. They sell trade ins fast. It's all about what is best for your situation and needs. Everyone is different.

23. May 30, 2015 at 5:20 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Thanks! Good to know.

Black Wolf likes this.
  24. May 30, 2015 at 5:28 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Thank you too. Hard to type this early.

25. May 30, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    Richard913

Richard913 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro - Inferno
    Stock
    I traded in a 2014 F150 with the 3.5. The only complaint I have is that it depreciated way to fast. Same dealer offered had me come in to look at the 2015 and had the balls to offer me $27k for a truck I paid $43k for 6 months earlier. They proceeded to tell me that I would have to pay MSRP for the 2015 because they only had a few and were in demand. I then proceeded to tell the salesman, and his manager, in a room full of people, that they were out of their f%#king tree and that it took some nerve to waste my time. Ugh!

I always liked the Tundra and while looking for an SUV I came across the TRD Pro. My only complaint? I didn't buy it instead of the Ford. People who sell Toyotas really seem to know their vehicles. Not sure if it's Toyotas training program, or the sales guys are simply excited about selling them. My sales guy new everything about the truck, and never asked me a single qualifying question. I literally had to ask him to go for a ride and then to buy it.

Two things sold me in the truck. One was the way Toyota stands behind it. The other was the fact that I was able to get a off road truck with the perfect features without having to buy an upgrade package of stuff I did not need or want.

With my Ford, I wanted NAV, but would of had to spend $8k more for the package that offered it. With that I would have gotten leather, but I don't want leather..lol

Anyway, most of you know the deal and my recomendation is to of course drive the truck, but look into what Toyota does for you after you leave the lot.

Rich

Black Wolf likes this.
  26. May 30, 2015 at 5:58 AM
    Richard913

Richard913 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro - Inferno
    Stock
    By the way, I even took an $8k hit on my F150 and can honestly care less. Thats how much I love this truck.

T-Rex266 and Black Wolf like this.
  27. May 30, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    My dealer service advisor drives a Tundra and the mech that worked on my truck. That says it all for me. They know their stuff and have been straight up with me. Their boss, I'm not so sure about.

28. May 30, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Most of the Toyota forums are very fair. I came across a Silverado/Sierra forum and was reasonable overall with the competition. FIAT / Dodge RAM forums are the worst. (Doesn't that make the RAM an import using ramfan logic?) Inferiority complex I guess. I like all trucks.

29. May 30, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    ^^^Agree. I love all trucks. I no longer have my Silverado but I'm still a member of SilveradoSierra. Good group of guys. When I bought my Tundra I posted a pic and for the most part everyone thought you couldn't go wrong with a Tundra.

Black Wolf likes this.
  30. May 30, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    There will always be loyal diehards. Give them a Chinese knock off little red wagon with their favorite truck logo and they will swear it is still be best truck out there. ("But it's a little wagon", Ramfan," I don't care, still the best")

mdavis likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top