1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OVTune 3URFE Tundra ECU Tune Development Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by OVTune, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Feb 27, 2020 at 4:47 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    @OVTune Mat,

This post is just a friendly reminder that I am waiting on a base tune for 4:88 gears and 37s as per your post last week. I dont want you to get triggered, I am just following your instructions to email you every 48 hrs if I dont get a response.

I will be buttoning up the truck this weekend and I need to install this base tune before I fire it up. Thank you Mat.

2. Feb 27, 2020 at 4:58 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    sent.

last update until gear lock and direct shift is in your ecu.

I'm not "triggered." I'm annoyed that people want me to give them updates + try to set the features at the same time. It's not possible.

I gave you an update to your specification on Feb 12th, and now you need a new one again.
    If there is anything else you need in your base tune, let me know now please.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  3. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:34 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Well to be clear, I have not requested an update. I have requested a proper base tune. Look man, if you would be a little more clear about options then you would save yourself a lot of headaches.

Until I asked you in this thread, I had no idea that I needed a different base tune for headers. I also had no idea I needed a different base tune for gears until I saw a post. ANNND I also did not know that red line was something you changed until I read this thread.

You know, when someone pays you $500 and you set him up with ECU and the software, BEFORE you send a base tune you should ask these questions and then you will know to send the PROPER base tune.

Also, the original reason I paid for your product was to remove the throttle limits in 4wd which you confirmed in this thread that you were able to do. I have asked you multiple times over many months if you corrected this for me and I still have not received an answer.

Are the throttle limits in 4wd removed on the base tune you just sent me??

One more thing, we are the customer Mat. You are not doing us a favor by blessing us with your time and attention. We have paid you good money for your product and we only ask that you deliver on the promises that YOU made for your product and service. I am trying to be patient with you, but I do not appreciate the double speak and terrible communication I am receiving from your company.

4. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

Okay we sent you a proper base tune based on what we were capable of doing when it was first sent.
    The gear and tire change combo we literally JUST found, so it's not like we did not send you a proper tune beforehand. Just like Gearlock via S, and Directshift. We just made these features. Base tunes for gear changes and tire changes were not even a thing 2 weeks ago.

I changed the rev limit to 6000 based on your request, which I emailed you.
    4WD limits have been removed since the very first file you requested.

Your "base" tunes have been changing based on things that we literally JUST get done, or parts you are adding.

What doublespeak? I've been as clear as can be. Go read my posts. I said back in January, we will be emailing out necessary files, updates as required, and after that point we will temporarily stop sending updates so we can prepare everything for everyones ECUs.
    That never happened, because...I guess people don't ready or something. Because I sure sent it in the email for update files.
    You're post comes off like we haven't been giving you the options you need, when you are getting options that we literally just figured out a few days ago...and you're speaking like we have been holding this from you the whole time?

So lets get to facts.
    1. When we sent you the first files, You didn't have headers. - tunes were proper at that time.
    2. When you got headers, you requested an update, and rev limit changed - sent you that, tune was proper.
    3. We JUST...literally JUST found gear and tire code in the ECU. Now you're requesting that, which I've sent you. And you have been requesting it every 48 hours since we talked about it. NOWHERE did we say when we would release this to everyone. Nowhere. But now you require it right now.
    4. When you did get the headers installed, I said I would review your logs and make an update based on them. I don't know where you got the idea that you REQUIRE a base tune for your headers, but that information didn't come from me.

I'm not "blessing you guys" with my attention. I'm trying to get this stuff done. Most people understand and are waiting for a fully featured file for their ECU. And a very select few of you are fighting us every step of the way.

Stop making this difficult for us and everything goes smoothly.

If you see something on here that is a latest development, or something we are working on, you are NOT entitled to it until we are crystal clear that it works perfectly. We let everyone know what we are working on AS WE WORK ON IT. (that's for everyone)

5. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Thank you for answering my question about the 4wd throttle limits. Why couldnt you have just told me that months ago? If you had, I wouldn't have kept asking you.

I had no idea you discovered how to correct for gears/tires recently. But how about letting us know when that became an option and asking us if we need it?

You know, your product needs to have the proper parameters for our truck because it can cause damage to the engine if it is not correct. So when I install headers, I decided to be smart and ask you if I need a different tune. I'm glad I did because otherwise I would have been driving around in a lean condition. If I make a change to my truck which is going to affect the health of my engine because of your product you have an OBLIGATION to do one of two things, tell me to remove the tune or send me an update to keep my engine safe.

Look man, in the end you have a good product. The problem is we have to fight tooth and nail to get answers and simple updates out of you. And please stop arguing with your customers. Its not very professional.

6. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:59 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

I put it into your tune based on your request. I did not know you also need to be told it's in your tune, you asked for it.

My first post talking about us finding the tire / gear combo size for these ECUs with the help of Tacoma guys was Feb 18th. Think critically here. What good reason would I have to have this setting and hold it from you guys this entire time. That just doesn't make sense.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, and I don't know where you got this information that you will run lean with headers with our base tunes. ALL stock Fueling / safety, EGT, temp parameters, etc are still in place. Who told you that you could be running around on a lean condition? I didn't.
    Do you know how many people put long tubes on the stock tune and have no problems ever?

It sounds to me like you're speaking with someone else on the back end and they are giving you WRONG info.

Anyways, I understand some of this confusion can be coming from this forum and my posts. I Post ACTIVE development here. Not "FINISHED" development. So if you are confused because of this I apologize. But if you want accurate info just ASK ME.

Wynnded and shellshock like this.
  7. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    I need YOU to think critically here. You say on one hand hand this thread is not meant to used for communication on your product, and then you turn around and tell me to refer to your post in this thread that has NINETY-SIX PAGES. Come on man, I cant keep up on this thread.

JBA told me to be careful with aftermarket tunes as they can cause a lean condition with their LT headers. So I asked you and YOU said yes, I can send you a different base tune. I have no idea what is different in your base tune for LT headers, but its clear that you do something different.

I would absolutely come to you for the "right info" only problem is I ask you questions and I get ignored unless I ask many many times and then when you do answer you get all pissed off.

Look man, I dont need to keep arguing with you. After all these angry posts and finger pointing, look what I got? I got the 87 and 91 base tunes that I needed with options for headers, gears/tires, redline, and 4wd throttle. It took all of 10 min for you to send those to me once I became a squeaky wheel.

Maybe next time, just send the customer what he needs and move on with your day?

I am looking forward to the gear lock stuff. TELL ME WHEN IT IS OK TO SEND DATA LOGS PLEASE

Seuqoia11 likes this.
  8. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    This thread IS used to communicate our product and what we work on.
    It's NOT meant to communicate individual customer requests or issues. Like I've said probably 50 times in this thread I don't even know who you guys are based on user names.

So please, for everyone reading, I am sorry for the thread confusion.
    I hope this is crystal clear:
    There are NO UPDATES Until we have ALL FEATURES Ready for EVERY ECU ID. THIS CAN TAKE ANYWHERE FROM 4-8 WEEKS

The ONLY people who may receive updates beforehand are trucks with SUPERCHARGERS, or people waiting for an INITIAL FILE.

If you have any questions, Zendesk us. We will get back to you as soon as we can.

To ensure that we can get this done as quickly as we can, we will be putting our Tundra Flash kits out of stock after FEB 29th, and will not be selling more tunes until it's done.

mzim, Vr0ck, Midway and 2 others like this.
  9. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Newish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ooo, I didn't know the tire size could be adjusted in our ECU. That's good news!

Wynnded likes this.
  10. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    Seuqoia11

Seuqoia11 New Member

Member:
    Looks like you also received the unreasonable customer trophy.

NoMoTaco and MTRock like this.
  11. Feb 27, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    I like pie.

12. Feb 27, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    19PlatinumCrew

19PlatinumCrew New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    MGM 19 Platinum Crew
    Toytec 3" coilover lift,295/75/18 on Method Nv,Nitto tires,Retrax cover,spray liner.
    Are the 19's able to be OVtuned yet???????

13. Feb 27, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wash your hands.

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB S/C'd 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD S/C, OVTune and +2 psi pulley TRD Rear Sway Bar Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Grill Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring
    There is at least one test tune out there, maybe others. But, your ECU version may (likely) be different. So, yes and no....

14. Feb 27, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    19PlatinumCrew

19PlatinumCrew New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    MGM 19 Platinum Crew
    Toytec 3" coilover lift,295/75/18 on Method Nv,Nitto tires,Retrax cover,spray liner.
    Yes because Mat is working on it ….No because codes haven't been released from Toyota?

15. Feb 27, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wash your hands.

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    OEM Upgrades: TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD S/C, OVTune and +2 psi pulley TRD Rear Sway Bar Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Grill Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ Dunno...

16. Feb 27, 2020 at 3:17 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Where you seeing this? I thought it was gears only?

17. Feb 27, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wash your hands.

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    When non-OEM tire sizes and/or non-OEM final drive ratios are fit to our trucks, it can make the shifting really wonky. As I understand it, this can be adjusted in the Tacomas and potentially with the Tundras. I would speculate, but not assume that the speedometer could then be made to give a corrected indication as well. The discussion is over at Tacoma World.

18. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Got it. My shifting is fine although on the way home after larger tire install it was weird. Anyway, speedo is really what I’m looking for. Seems like that should be an out of the box Toyota option... certainly Toyota could anticipate folks lifting and replacing the crappy tire/wheel stock combo.

19. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    What size and what gears.

20. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    This was the first I've heard of it.

21. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Stock gears and running 295/70/18. Last I heard from Mat there was nothing in his wheelhouse at the moment to compensate for speed.

22. Feb 27, 2020 at 5:45 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Hmmm, yeah I'm realizing I may have interpreted that wrong now.

23. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    NWATundra

NWATundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 White Tundra DC
    Mat, through the Tacoma has found where he can change gear ratio and tire size to correct shifting. He did so on mine with with 5.29’s and 37’s. It did not, for me at least, change the speedometer reading. Only the vehicle speed in the ecu when read by the data logger was changed.

Wynnded likes this.
  24. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:53 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I have the hypertech and installed it for the 35" tires then took it out when went to 4.88s , but had to reinstall it agian for the gears. It was like +4 mph at 60mph, took a bit to dial in because the sensors are on each wheel and the hypertech program would not recognize the 4.88 gears. As I remember I had to put in my tire size in as 32.60 for size to get the speedo corrected.

Toyotoholic likes this.
  25. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    NWATundra

NWATundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 White Tundra DC
    For me the gear change didn’t affect Speedo reading at all. I assume the truck uses wheel speed sensors and not a transmission speed sensor for the Speedo.

26. Feb 27, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wash your hands.

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    I would guess that it would be necessary to use wheel speed sensors for Vehicle Stability Control data. I know that via Techstream individual wheel speed data is displayed.

27. Feb 27, 2020 at 7:33 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yes that is correct, my tires are 34.7 and as I remember I think 4.60s would have put me back to stock.

28. Feb 28, 2020 at 4:51 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    This is correct. Changing gears does not affect the speedo. The ECU reads wheel revolutions to calculate speed

Its more complicated than that when talking about a tune. The weird shifting is a result of the ECU reading the wheel speed and calculating load. if you put bigger tires on like 37s and then gears like 4.88, you are essentially stock final drive ratio (32s and 4.30). So the ecu reads an engine load it expects to see, but the wheel revolutions are slower than it expects.

HOWEVER, with 37s/4.88 on my truck and the first OV base tune, it shifted fine. I was happy with the shifting. The only reason I had @OVTune send me an updated base tune for tires/gears is because he said he has one for my combo which leads me to believe he did something different to make it drive better. We'll see what happens

831Tun likes this.
  29. Feb 28, 2020 at 6:24 AM
    azTony

azTony New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    None... yet
    The change for gear and tire size was an improvement for sure (once the tune took, I had to do it twice but I am sure it was something on my end) and got rid of the premature downshifting. This is in the early stage and we will not see any of this until it is gone through more thoroughly. Matt has his hands full and trying to keep everyone happy regardless of his sanity.

Thanks for all you do @OVTune !!

Ericsopa, edwardg and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  30. Feb 28, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down.
    Just throwing this out there for some feedback as I know many of you guys are supercharged as well. I just got the Magnuson installed 1 week ago, I'm heading back to the install shop today to see if they can ride along and confirm I have something that should be looked into or tell me it's nothing to be concerned about.

The truck (2017 FFV, Magnuson with HP Tuners) seems to run great and power is smooth and responsive. There is a small amount of possible pinging, although I'm not sure that's what it is. This only seems to happen when I'm in a higher gear and lower RPM and give it some throttle to accelerate, but not enough that it will downshift. I can hear a very faint sound just for a couple seconds until the RPM's pick up then it's gone or at least I no longer hear it. I don't have any prior supercharger experience, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I'm running 91 octane which is the best we have out here, maybe it's from that?

If the shop does confirm it's slightly pinging in that scenario would this be something that can be tuned to correct? Are you guys having this happen as well? I know @OVTune is very busy, so I hate to throw another tune onto his pile, just trying to figure out where to go from here. I'll post up the feedback I get from the shop later today. Thanks guys!

YotaMan likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top