1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuner 3UR Support - Development Tools

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by OVTune, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 2, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    MrMax

MrMax Introvertigo Eximious Geargasm

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax S/C TRD Rock Warrior
    Probably pretty close gauging from my Butt Dyno. Before and after numbers from the same Dyno and environment would be the best though.

Midway and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  2. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    MrMax

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    Actually all things being equal flow intake/exhaust the 2.6l SC should move more air than the 1.9 SC making more power at the same pressure.

When first starting to play with my Shelby I went smaller upper pulley and a 10% lower with supporting mods and made 596whp at 15psi. Next up was a larger VMP SC pullied for 13-14psi using the stock lower pulley. Again, with supporting mods. 652whp and the IAT temps are lower.I was now moving more air and making more power with less pressure.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  3. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I'm not an expert but it would seem that pressure is pressure. It may make the same pressure at lower rpms but air moving through the system rated at PSI would be the same unless something changed besides the SC/compressor. I maybe wrong. Just thinking out load.

4. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    MrMax

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    pound for pound(cubic liter actually :)...a 2.65liter blower is going to move more air than a 1.9liter blower at the same PSI. More air+more fuel=more power. I wont even get into how you need to spin the smaller SC faster(higher PSI) to move the same amount of air as the larger SC thus generating more heat raising IAT's and timing starts getting pulled due to heat soak

5. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    Okay. You lost me on some of that... :)

I see somewhat of what you're saying. I was just thinking that the air going through the system relative to the intact, exhaust, etc doesn't change without a relative increase in PSI. Increased pressure would indicate more forced air. Given the fixed nature of the physical parameters of the system (apart from the SC itself changing) it would just seem to me that PSI is PSI. It may create more PSI and reach the existing limits of the smaller blower faster.

Just trying to understand. I like understanding. :)

MrMax[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    MrMax

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    Its all good man...and I understand your confusion...let me put it this way...think volume not pressure. The 2.65 liter SC moves 2.65 liters of air compared to the 1.9 liters of air the smaller Magnuson moves even when the pressure they are pushing is identical.

sundance[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    roypark

roypark Semi-pro High Fiver

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    A little of this and a little of that. Its pretty run of the mill.
    This turned into the super charger discussion thread. Anyone get a new tune recently? I’m eagerly awaiting my base tune. Does that usually come with data logging instructions?

MrMax likes this.
  8. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    MrMax

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    He will most likely send you a data logger along with the base tune. Although since a Windows update a couple of months ago it may or may not work for you. mine stopped working a couple of revisions back after a Windows update. I was lucky enough to have an old Netbook I use for Techstream and Forscan that I never let update that I moved the logger to and it still works. Or maybe you will get the new logger if it is ready...IDK
    Sorry about the Thread Hijack.
    Regards,
    R-

9. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    roypark

roypark Semi-pro High Fiver

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    A little of this and a little of that. Its pretty run of the mill.
    Thanks for the info. Didn’t mean to sound like the thread topic cops. This is the one thread I’m following on the forum, so when I see a notification, I check it. Lol.

papasmurf, Vr0ck and sundance like this.
  10. Oct 2, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    Sorry for the derail....

11. Oct 2, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    Seuqoia11

Seuqoia11 New Member

Member:
    I am order 5221 and check email/forum hourly LOL!!... and still also waiting for my first tune I got the unit in the mail mid last week, and registration done on Monday, So Matts moving quick. I still cant wait for it though...!!! I have some towing to do in a couple weeks I would love to experience the last 47 pages of forum discussion first hand.

Midway, roy2015, DavidB and 1 other person like this.
  12. Oct 3, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    suby2low

suby2low New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Tundra DC SC'd
    3" lift w/ 33x12.50s, Grampa cap, TRD supercharged, URD pulley, 340LPH FP, OV tuned
    Talk to me about your data logging! I need to do a few when I find some time. Are you doing full throttle pulls from a stop? Are you doing 3rd gear pulls from a roll in gear lock? Maybe @OVTune can chime in and let us know his preferences?

On another note, I towed my camper up into the NEK of VT last weekend. Fairly large rolling hills/mtns. Very little flat interstate. Cruised between 70-75. When it would downshift to 4th, it would start accelerating up the hills and i would have to back out of the throttle. The shifting and power was vastly improved over the BD tune. Trans temps averaged 3-5* lower. The gas mileage was low. A little lower than towing the camper previously on the BD. Doesnt bother me though. The improved power and shifting is well worth it.

Filled up the truck when I got back and unhooked from the camper. Ive been "grampa" driving it back and forth to work this week to see what kind of mileage I could get out of it, if I wanted to. 4 days in and im getting 2 MPGs better than I ever saw with the BD. Getting bored of that though and will probably go back to driving it like i stole it. Way more fun than worrying about 2 mpg.

Wynnded, Vr0ck and papasmurf like this.
  13. Oct 3, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    MrMax

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    When you get your tune from OVTune Matt may request some logs and will tell you what he is looking for. For example the first set of logs he requested on my base tune were warm idle 5 minutes, normal driving 5-10 minutes, a couple of half throttle pulls and a gear locked full throttle pull. 4-5 revisions later its only a full throttle gearlocked pull and fine tuning some shift points. Full throttle pulls for me are in second gear from a roll at 2K rpm up to 5.5K rpm. If the roads are damp I have to do them in 3rd and I still break the tires loose.

14. Oct 3, 2019 at 3:36 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I like to send a good 4th gear, all the way to the red line, log... :devil:

MrMax and Midway like this.
  15. Oct 3, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Jebus, that's gotta be and estimated (wouldn't want to incriminate anyone) one hundred _____?

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Oct 3, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    endagon

endagon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 5.7
    133 mph @ 6000 rpm

TruckyTruck and Wynnded like this.
  17. Oct 3, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I trust your ...math.

shellshock and TruckyTruck like this.
  18. Oct 3, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    Jbtaco2002

Jbtaco2002 Almost a Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    nothing cool
    I was gonna say, I lifted my foot at 125ish... While I was in Mexico of course

19. Oct 3, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    endagon

endagon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 5.7
    6000 rpm * 60 min/hr * (1/4.3) * (32.1π")*(1 ft/12")*(1 mi/5280 ft)

20. Oct 3, 2019 at 7:05 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    help?

21. Oct 3, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    Axle gearing and tire circumference.

So he's taking revolutions, dividing by axle ratio to get tire revolutions. Multiplying that by the circumference of the tire to get distance traveled per time. The rest is converting the units from inches/minute to miles per hour.

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Oct 3, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    :goingcrazy: I'm kidding!!! Or am I...

I can't imagine getting to the red line in 4th gear with this big ass truck. No, this is more my style :turtleride:

23. Oct 3, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Yep, okay. Got it, thanks. Now it makes sense.

No going back...

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Oct 4, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    @shellshock did you ever send me the ID from your 2019? if so what ticket number?

Rockgate likes this.
  25. Oct 4, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    shellshock

shellshock Guy who drives a lot

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Yeah - #6897

26. Oct 5, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    Sorry if you haven't heard from us yet, we lost power due to an incident (car crash) wiping out power for half the town yesterday.
    We are working on catching up things today

LifeCycle, Midway, Vr0ck and 2 others like this.
  27. Oct 5, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Irony. Lulz.

28. Oct 5, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    When a guy sends his logs in, are you able to see transmission activity with that log or is it only engine activity?

Vr0ck and art64 like this.
  29. Oct 5, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    I removed the battery terminal whole installing my new headlights...since doing so, I went for a 50 mile drive this morning; it seems that "everything" had to be relearned compared to how it was set and running prior to the disconnected battery terminal...all is well, but the tranny seems to be relearning...just confirming this is normal when such instances happen to truck power...?

30. Oct 5, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    art64

art64 New Member

Member:
    I really hope they can see the transmission activity. My tune's Gear Lock feature got disabled again. And this is the updated 91 octane GL tune that has GL feature whenever S mode is selected. From 6th, I accelerated a bit, torque converter unlocked, I continued to press pedal, rpm went up further high this time-5th gear, As soon as I saw the tach I said f..., then I press the pedal harder and downshifted again--4th gear. At this time rpm close to 4,000. This was on S mode only. Will reflash again today.

roy2015 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top