1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Other than harness, what's needed for headlight upgrade?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BigEasyTundra, May 2, 2019.

1. May 2, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    BigEasyTundra

BigEasyTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    19 CM 4x4 Cement SR5
    Bossed out 3/1 lift, Color matched bumpers, mirror covers, door handles, tyger armor side steps
    So I have a 19 SR5 Crewmax TSS, I have the single led strip at the bottom headlights. I was planning on upgrading to the Pro Headlights with the dual LED strips. My questions are

1) Are those plug in play, I know you have to buy the harness but is there any additional wiring or anything needed for this?

2) I have a buddy who bought the same model truck but his came with LED bulbs in the headlights/ fog lights. Can anyone tell me where I can pick some bulbs up and what is needed additionally (I'm assuming a ballast or some resistors?) If you can include any pictures of before/after or have any additional info it would be appreciated.

2. May 2, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Retired Adult Film Sound Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2
    All you need is the special harness.

If your buddies truck has the TRD OR package that is why he has the LED headlights and fog lights. They’re sealed units so it’s not just a matter of his having LED bulbs unless someone just put LED bulbs in his halogen reflector headlight and fog lights.

Stick with your original plan of getting the OEM Tundra LED headlights instead of just throwing LED bulbs in your halogen reflectors.

Bob likes this.
  3. May 2, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    BigEasyTundra

BigEasyTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    19 CM 4x4 Cement SR5
    Bossed out 3/1 lift, Color matched bumpers, mirror covers, door handles, tyger armor side steps
    His dealer had a special edition truck that one of the salesman drove but it is an SR5. Regardless, so it’s recommended to keep my halogens? I just think they look cheap when you have LED headlight strips but an ugly yellow light in your lo/hi beams.

4. May 2, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Retired Adult Film Sound Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2
    The SR5 gets the LED headlights and fog lights when the TRD Offroad package is added. Otherwise you get the halogens.

I would recommend getting the OEM 2018+ LED headlights. The ones you originally referenced with the DRL on the top and bottom. These have LED low beams and high beams.

Another option would be to get a retrofit done. However that is very labor intensive and would involve sending your headlights to someone to have done if you don’t want to tackle it yourself. That involves opening up your headlight assemblies and installing a proper HID projector or LED projector and then resealing.

Either of these are way better than just putting in LED or HID bulbs in your stock halogen reflector housings. That would give you a better “look” but the performance isn’t there and can potentially cause glare to other drivers. The Toyota LED’s are your easiest way to get a better look and performance.

5. May 2, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    DvilleMafia

DvilleMafia New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4
    ‘18 SR5 here, had halogen HL with single LED DRL. Installed ‘19 TRD Pro headlights. All you need is iHacker harness. It’s plug and play.

2BF866B0-281D-45A0-9C7A-86FD439781A8.jpg

VTYOTA and Toyokuhl like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top