1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optimum. Tire and wheel coating done today

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jul 28, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I am determined to make this stuff work lol.
    After applying it to 4 falken wild peaks, I am at my boiling point, it's a love hate relationship.
    Anyway I will be buying some kind of air sprayer for it. I might try my fluid film sprayer first which will likely fail so ......Stay tuned, I'll figure this out. The air sprayer would be nice for doing wheel wells and engine bay stuff too so I hope to find something that will work for a reasonable price

War Machine likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2019 at 5:32 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    What issue did you run into with these tires? I have had nothing but a positive experience with this product, with the one exception from me not cleaning well enough beforehand.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 29, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    It was just so time consuming with all the sidewall lugs, took me 10 minutes per tire lol

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 30, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Not too sure this will do the trick. Idea seemed better in my head than it does now that I see the sprayer lol. Oh well, I'll try it one of these days.

20190730_171744.jpg

5. Jul 30, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I agree, I used it again and it seems more even now than the first time. A good cleaning helps for sure. Seems the first use was the worst results for me, subsequent applications look better.

6. Aug 7, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    So that little airbrush I got works great. Saves on product too. The little glass cups that are with the gun hold 1 oz of liquid, I was able to do 2 tires easily with 1 oz. I was pretty amazed how well it worked. I cleaned it out after with soap and water, we will see how it works the next time around. This could be a real money saver if it continues to work, also saves a lot of aggravation trying to spread the tire coating evenly.

War Machine and MakMurph like this.
  7. Aug 14, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    What air compressor did you use? Thinking about getting one, along with an air brush like you have.

8. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I just have a small 150 psi pancake compressor. I think it's a 5 gallon. Works well enough for what I use it for, and this little air brush. I'll soon find out if its enough to keep up with my fluid film sprayer.

9. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Really......sounds like I need to do some shopping.

10. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    That little airbrush I got was like $10 and worked perfect for the tire coating. Maybe I'll go out now and spray some more and see if my cleaning job was sufficient. I can certainly see this little tool being helpful for various detailing applications.
    I have to fluid film my frame and undercarriage soon, the fluid film came with a gun, I am worried my little 5 or 6 gallon compressor isn't going to keep up. Itll give me an excuse to upgrade to a larger standup garage unit if it doesn't work. But for the airbrush the small pancake compressor is perfect

11. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I have only tried on my tires, I know you use tuf shine tire coating. I assume it's similar to the optimum. Have you sprayed that on your tires with the air brush? And when you do use it to spray products, I assume you go back with a towel to work it in or level it, depending on the product? Now that I have this airbrush I see infinite uses for it. I sprayed my tires then buffed it with a MF towel, but with some really knobby sidewall AT tires that's not really doable.

20190730_171744.jpg

12. Aug 23, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    EEnnriquez

EEnnriquez New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra 4x4, sr5
    Try tire shine from Adam's Polishes

13. Sep 22, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I think it's been about 2 months since I applied the tire coating, looking good to me.
    I scrubbed the hell out the tires today with wise guy, and while it cleaned the tires, the coating remains intact
    20190922_215958.jpg

War Machine likes this.
  14. Sep 22, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    I thought Waxxadict Tyre dressing was the best?

15. Sep 27, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Tyre feeding is really good tire dressing, and works great on other rubber, plastic, interior, tonneau covers.....the optimum is a coating, it is only for tires. It dries completely and lasts for several months. Its totally different product, Tuf shine also makes a tire coating that has great reviews. Good deal on it right now too, here...https://www.detailedimage.com/TUF-SHINE-M50/Tire-Appearance-Kit-P545/

16. Sep 27, 2019 at 6:59 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

@Bust good deal on tire stuff.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Sep 27, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    Bust

Bust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shean
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    @War Machine saving money for led headlight bulb conversion. Detailing budget has dried up for the year

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  18. Sep 27, 2019 at 11:40 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    Where can I buy?

19. Sep 28, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    It is very good, probably the best of its type. Problem is it’s expensive and not distributed in the US, which adds shipping cost and lead time.

I do really like it, but it’s not so much better that it’s worth the added expense and hassle, at least to me. A proper application of Optimum Tire Protection and Coating will last a really long time. The product is cheap, easily obtained, and a bottle goes a really long way. I actually do top it with Waxaddict or another tire shine on occasion for some added pop, but it’s pretty great on its own.

If applied properly, Optimum Tire Protection and Coating is in my opinion light years ahead of any of its competitors.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  20. Sep 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    And honestly, if you can’t be bothered with actually spending the time to clean the tire, then you might as well just buy what ever aerosol tire shine they have at Walmart and go nuts with it.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  21. Sep 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    I'm a big fan of tyre feeder. Tried a bunch of different types this summer and I found the clear winner for me. I'll be buying the big jug before spring.

I use wise guy tire cleaner and scrub pretty good but honestly I don't have time to get every bit of brown off the tire. Tyre Feeder makes the tires look amazingly good to me and very easy to apply.

driverdog likes this.
  22. Sep 28, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Once the tires are cleaned thoroughly, (which does generally require some effort), and this coating is applied, the browning doesn’t come back for a long time, and the tires become a breeze to clean. I’ve been able to clean tires with ONR when they were coated.

I’ve layered Waxaddict and other things on top of the coating just for some variety, and it works great. It’s pretty cool when the applicator you use barely looks dirty afterwards.

No matter what you use, it’s going to last longer if put in the work to clean the tires properly first. If you don’t want to do that, I’d get the cheapest tire shine I could find.

owb2gp, driverdog and Pudge[OP] like this.
  23. Sep 28, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Ultimately everyone has different goals and expectations. I like this product a lot but I like many others also. That’s why I like to mix and match.

Optimum Tire Protection and Coating is an outstanding product, that outlasts traditional tire shines many times over. Like most products, there are some drawbacks. The drawback of this one is that there is a bit of a learning curve for some. Some people struggle to get it right, but it is worth the effort in my opinion.
    Waxaddict is great, and much easier to use, especially for beginners. It has great benefits, but also it’s own drawbacks.
    That’s the fun thing about this hobby. There’s no 100% perfect way to do it. Plenty of different routes to take, that all give great results.

Pudge[OP] and owb2gp like this.
  24. Oct 1, 2019 at 3:51 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    They posted on their Facebook page that they were having difficulties. I’m sure they’ll get it fixed ASAP. They work pretty hard to keep customers happy. The shipping increase really stinks.

Chemical Guys Tire Kicker is very similar in look to Waxaddict, just doesn’t last as long. It’s available at Walmart.

25. Oct 1, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

Sky’s the Limit used to carry it. That’s how it became known here when @SouthBoundSteve recommended it. I really love the product, it just doesn’t outweigh the expense and time at this point.

It’s not their fault. The shipping is a huge expense for them. I’m sure it’s even higher being liquid. I know The Rag Company charges extra for shipping liquids. A couple of times Waxaddict has shipped other people’s orders to me and asked me to forward them on for them. They threw in a lot of extra stuff for my trouble.

26. Oct 1, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    Well shit. My go to for tires. Hopefully they can do something in the future. I'm willing to pay more if needed. I was going to buy the big jug in the spring. I haven't found anything close to tyre feeder looks.

driverdog likes this.
  27. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Bust

Bust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shean
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    Seems like I lucked out, not that it wasn't already expensive to ship. They do have some products on their US site, sadly feeder tyre is sold out.

War Machine likes this.
  28. Oct 1, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    I down for 10 or 20 of them.

29. Oct 1, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I was just on the site and and they show 7 of the trade size and 2 bottles of feeder available.

30. Oct 1, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    Unfortunately they won't ship the trade sizes to the US right now.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top