1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optimum. Tire and wheel coating done today

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Not as glossy. At three coats it’s close. Lasts a lot longer though.

2. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Not as glossy like Jason said. That's with 2 coats. I have not tried 3 coats but it would be pretty close and look great. I really like the satin sheen that 2 coats gives. Its perfect imo.

3. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:39 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I might order some shine supply stuff. I definitely wanna try the tire cleaner

4. Jun 11, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I definitely recommend the tire cleaner. I haven’t seen anything close.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 11, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I'm definitely going to give 3 coats a try

6. Jun 11, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Well there goes more money. After this I'm done for a while, I swear

Omohundro likes this.
  7. Jun 11, 2019 at 2:43 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Anything else from shine supply I should throw in my cart since I'm paying for shipping? @War Machine @jason.bird

8. Jun 11, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’ve liked every one of their products, except the glass cleaner. Solution is a great APC, their Signature Shine Wax looks great. They have compounds and polishes, but I haven’t tried them.

Trim Shield is incredible, but don’t order any......:spy:

Not really detailing related, but their t shirts are awesome.

9. Jun 11, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Ok cool thank Jason. Now I can fill my cart! I actually do like their shirts. Ordering later tonight

10. Jun 14, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    So it's been over 2 months and most of the coating was still on, other than some curb scuffs. I'm pretty blown away. I do want to wash it off and put down 2 fresh coats BUT I CAN NOT seem to get all of the coating off. I did use shine supply wise guy tire cleaner which is unreal and blows away any other tire cleaner i have used but some coating is left behind. I will email optimum to ask how to strip this stuff and report back.

Update: I read some on the optimum forums and I guess this stuff is very tough to remove I will try more wise guy as well as some carpro trix cleaner. Seems that tar remover has decent results. Most guys on the optimum forum are reporting 6 months of durability before it starts to wear off on its own. Crazy

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  11. Jun 14, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I tried to clean one tire again with carpro trix and wise guy. Itll dry overnight so we will see if that strips the coating. If that doesnt maybe I'll try dawn soap but I doubt itll touch it. If not luck I will just recoat, I hope it comes out even.

12. Jun 14, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    The trix didn't seem to do the trick. Any idea @War Machine ?
    I could just recoat but as you know from working with this stuff, it would be nice to fully strip and clean the tire.
    I do have an email out to optimum for some help and will post their reply

13. Jun 15, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Well I made a little, very little, progress removing this coating using Goo Gone. It seemed to strip some off, mostly in areas that it hadnt stuck well due missing a spot when cleaning.
    If there is an easy way to remove this, and u hope optimum has the answer for me, then I will be a much bigger fan. I suppose if you get tires very clean and nice even coats, and don't scuff your tires, you could just infinitely add more coats as it starts to fade. It would just be nice to be able to strip it all off and start fresh

14. Jun 15, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I got the previous coating stripped off the best I could, it had been on for over 2 months but was scuffed off in some places. Cleaned tires really well and the applied 2 new coats. These tires are DRY to the touch, even though they look wet. Some guys say this stuff isnt shiny enough. I think it's pretty damn solid. Perfect satin sheen.

20190615_173510.jpg
    20190615_173519.jpg

phogallen likes this.
  15. Jun 16, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:

I love the coating but it really is finicky about having the tire perfectly clean when you apply. Also the fact it really can't be stripped off if you want to remove it really sucks. I do have an email out to optimum for some answers....hopefully

driverdog likes this.
  16. Jun 16, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Well speaking of the devil....
    Sean, thank you for your interest in Optimum products. Tire Protection and Coating is difficult to remove. Optimum TAR (Tar/Adhesive/Rubber) Remover will work but can take multiple applications. TPC can be layered (up to 3 coats) and that would be a better solution than removing the current application.

Ronald Doyle
    Optimum Polymer Technologies
    901-363-4955

driverdog likes this.
  17. Jun 16, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I have to say that I do love this product, but you really have to have virgin tires, and clean the shit out of them. I'm talking clean them 4 or 5 times over with wise guy. The surface has to be perfect. Then if you scuff some off by accident you need to clean that area again really well and reapply, it seems like the only option. Recently @War Machine had an issue with a spot on a brand new vehicle's tire.
    I won't recommend this to anyone else until I figure out how to strip it. And you are very right about not using it on a customer's car unless you are 100% sure the surface is perfect before prep, and they realize that if they scuff a curb, they will have a spot removed and it will look uneven.

driverdog likes this.
  18. Jun 16, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I have no doubt you, of all people, and Jason did the proper prep. Me? Not so much lol. Its a shame because if we could strip and reapply this stuff would be one of the best car detailing products out there

driverdog likes this.
  19. Jun 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I'm glad the clay towel worked out. I have a blackfire clay mitt, 6" clay pad for DA or use by hand, and of course a couple regular old bars. The bars don't get used obviously.
    The recent sales at autogeek and detailed image have been killing me. I don't even do other peoples cars lol

driverdog likes this.
  20. Jun 17, 2019 at 4:13 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’m not ready to give up on this product yet. I had applied it to three vehicles, multiple coats each, with nothing but excellent results. My wife’s new Sequoia was my fourth vehicle to use it on, and that was the first time I had an issue.
    I actually wonder if a bad batch went out. The first three were done with my original bottle. The new Sequoia was the first I’d done with a new bottle. I sent @Jim LE 1301 the remainder of my original bottle last week. There was about half of it left.
    I sent Jim that bottle, along with a bottle of Waxaddict. He’s agreed to do a side by side comparison of both products for us. Jim, read above. There have been some issues with this product that have come to light since I sent you some. If you still want to go ahead and try it, clean the ever loving he’ll out of the tires. I’m guessing it’ll take three to four rounds of cleaning with the Wise Guy Tire Cleaner to get your tires ready. If after reading the issues you decide not to try it, no sweat. You’ll be very happy with just Waxaddict.

Another note: The Rag Company podcast mentioned issues with this product recently. According to them, issues have arisen when this, product was applied to a tire that had previously had Optibond Tire Gel applied. I haven’t used that product outside of once a year ago. I didn’t like it, and never used it again. I did however apply Meguair’s Endurance Gel to those tires the week before. I was pretty sure I’d gotten it all off, but maybe I hadn’t. I can say the tire coating worked fine on three of the tires. Only had the issue on one.

To @driverdog ’s point, the tires have to be pretty pristine before application. In Optimum’s defense, they make that clear in the instructions. I will also say that once this coating is applied correctly, future cleanings become a breeze. Haven’t had to scrub the tires on my Tundra since before my initial application.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] and NUDRAT like this.
  21. Jun 17, 2019 at 4:33 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    I will try in next week....on my wife's car :rofl::rofl:
    It's supposed to rain here all week.:(

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Jun 17, 2019 at 5:17 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’m waiting for the Beadmaker pics on the police car.

23. Jun 17, 2019 at 5:34 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Okay. If I take it to the Camaro Nationals this weekend in Maryland I will. I think I'm going without a car this year because my son has a test Friday morning. I usually go down there on Thursday, depending on what time he finishes the test will determine if I trailer it down. I have to get there by 5 PM for the charity dinner and I can't go that fast with a trailer.

24. Jun 17, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    Reading these threads, I'm wondering if it cannot be used on new tires. Sort of sounds like some continuing 'off-gassing' of oils from the tires may be causing an issue. You can clean the heck out of the surface, but if heat cycles from driving is causing oils in the rubber to leach to the surface - perhaps that is what is causing the peeling & discolorations of the product.

25. Jun 17, 2019 at 5:46 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Maybe, but it worked fine on three of them.

NUDRAT[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jun 17, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    any chance the one 'bad' tire is on the front & has the axle in close proximity to a heat source (manifold, catalytic converter, etc) more so than the other wheel(s)?
    Probably grasping at straws, but...
    On my Saab's the front right tire would easily run 75F - 100F hotter than the other tires due to the turbo being right above the axle.

27. Jun 17, 2019 at 6:02 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    It’s the passenger side front, but wasn’t driven before the issue showed up. I’m assuming I didn’t get it clean enough. Can’t think of another cause.

NUDRAT[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jun 17, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I won't give up either. I just wish there was an easy way to remove it when you wanted to. It lasts for so long that you are bound to have a few trouble spots that need more than just spot touch ups. I still applied 2more coats of it yesterday so I have some confidence itll be okay.

War Machine likes this.
  29. Jun 17, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Did the additional coats help the issue?

30. Jun 17, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it looks good again. Its just that I know itll get scuffed and uneven after a few months again, which is expected and fine. But unless it's totally stripped off it will look uneven with addition coats. I got it almost all off with wise guy x3 , goo gone x2, TRIX, eraser, dawn soap. Then I let dry overnight, cleaned again with wise guy, dried and reapplied. now that I think of it I should have used a magic eraser. It does look good again I just wish there was am easier way

Products Discussed in

To Top