1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optima Yellow top review

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 20, 2017 at 7:09 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] King Shock Pimp

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500 Summit White
    Husky products, 28% tint on windows.
    I use my sh....stuff, so this might not apply to many people on this site. My electrical system on my TJ gets taxed...hard.

I have "heard" that Optima batteries sold out and moved production down to Mexico, and uses recycled lead and processes that are less than stellar. Normally, the whole made in Mexico thing does bother me a little, but I thought "what the hell?"

This yellow top was purchased from Summit Racing for a pretty good deal that I just couldn't pass up....200.00, in March of 2016.

@Thegr8punkin and I have an off-roading trip planned soon and I was going to take my Tacoma, but that is not what it is for, no matter how easy the trail. Today I told him the TJ would get a look at it to make it run. Had fuel pressure, air, and spark...just not enough ass to crank the starter. So I checked the Optima. Sure as hell, 11.1VDC pretty sure there is an issue with that battery. I pulled the battery out of the Lexus real quick and what do you know...fired right up.

I had an X2Power in 06-13 with no issues, but was coming to the end of life on that AGM battery. Time to ante up and get a real battery again. Tonight I ponied up for the X2Power Group 34

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/jeep/tj/2003/l6-4.0l-600cca/sli34agmdp

I figured since they were offering a 30.00 rebate, why not?

The Optima lasted me 13 months, and in reality, a lot less than that since I only started Jeeping this current build late in 16', but I did buy it in April.

Even the guy at Batteries Plus doesn't even recommend them and they sit on his shelf. So, you have been warned. I must have ate a big bowl of dumbass the morning I ordered the Yellow top Optima. Stupid hurts....and did.

Connor, we are on homie...

2. Apr 20, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    Ditto to that, I have a redtop in my cougar. It takes a lot of cranking to get gas to the carb after sitting for a while. The optima doesn't last long enough way more often than a descent regular battery that costs way less. I also had one in my 1st gen. Left the lights on for about twenty minutes. Totally killed it, it took a full size Chevy revving for a 1/2 hr to get it to start. I was driving it daily and the optima was less than two years old. First and last time I'll buy one! Wait, I bought two!:angrygirl:

ColoradoTJ [OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 20, 2017 at 7:44 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A God Damn Millenial

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    I have a red top in my 4runner... But it has a 4banger in it. Though, I've gone through alternator pretty quick. I think I'm going to get a direct bolt on alt from primer power welder.

With that said, the owner of power welder refuses to warranty any of them if used with an optima. So until this battery (or this current alternator) dies it'll stay.

Joeshaker and ColoradoTJ [OP] like this.
  4. Apr 20, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] King Shock Pimp

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500 Summit White
    Husky products, 28% tint on windows.
    15 years ago, they were good batteries. The business I was associated with used to sell PPW, pretty good stuff. If he won't warranty his stuff with an Optima...all you need to know about that...

5. Apr 20, 2017 at 10:07 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    The one in there is close to 10 years old now I believe...

6. Apr 20, 2017 at 10:10 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    7d2e845678baa455833a2bb8038b1a2a_0294023c7c076b36ab1bcec964934fe24539cf4a.jpg lol went and double checked

7. Jun 8, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    TRD Pro Rookie

TRD Pro Rookie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro
    Nothing major
    I have a red top optima in my Chevy that's got to be 10 plus years old. I will check the date sticker when I get home. Kwik kar tells me they are garbage now that they are made in mexico. That's too bad.

To Top