1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One tire is worn out and the others are GTG? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SOCO Tundra, May 28, 2017.

1. May 28, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    SOCO Tundra

SOCO Tundra [OP] When do you stop being the FNG?

Member:
    First Name:
    bsr
    SOCO
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 TRD Off Road, DBL Cab, Super White
    Leer topper, MagnaFlow, TRD CAI, TRD Hvy skid plate, and I want less chrome!
    Took the Tundra for it's 15K service and the service mgr stated something about a tire being left on the rear due to wear. Took the truck on about a 2K round trip and that tire is now at the wear bars.

The other tires are in great condition, but the one tire is need of replacing. I don't hammer the truck, and not sure of you could with all of the traction controls it has.

The tire is worn evenly across, no cupping, waving, etc... nothing to indicate an alignment or balance issue. I know the tires have a data stamped in the tire for manufacture, location, date, etc... and maybe the one tire is different from the others.

Any ideas?

2. May 28, 2017 at 9:24 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    sometimes the tire which spins the most will wear faster especially if you have a lead foot.
    the rear is light so there is less traction. i'm not too familiar with tundra LSD and the computer control to have no spinning ... but cars with open differential and/or traction control off can be vulnerable to one tire spinning more (doing most of the work) than the other.

less likely possibility but maybe due to low air pressure for long time ...

also are your rear brakes getting hot on that side? brakes sticking on that side?

differential issues? how old and how many miles on the car?

bad one tire. I have never experienced this with any of my cars but can happen!

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. Jun 8, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    SOCO Tundra

SOCO Tundra [OP] When do you stop being the FNG?

Member:
    First Name:
    bsr
    SOCO
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 TRD Off Road, DBL Cab, Super White
    Leer topper, MagnaFlow, TRD CAI, TRD Hvy skid plate, and I want less chrome!
    I honestly try and drive civilized if that makes any sense. I mean I can see it at the pump, therefore, I don't hammer it.

Head maint tech stated that the right rear was the drive tire, and that caused it to lose tread. I kinda don't buy that, because I have not seen the traction control/LSD come on except once this winter.

I was lucky to find the exact tire with better tread than anything I have, and it was 75.00 mounted, balanced. The guys even balanced the others for free.

Lesson learned. Scrutinize the service bill and question everything that doesn't sit right.

Products Discussed in

To Top