1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil pressure gauge add - Koso Mini 3 + URD sandwich adapter

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by trash.panda, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Jul 28, 2018 at 5:03 PM
    trash.panda

trash.panda [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Ext cab 6spd
    This week I added an oil pressure gauge to the '05 Tundra. I wanted a decent electronic model. No GlowShift or other cheapy stuff.

I was leaning toward the AEM digital oil pressure set ($180) until I found the Koso motorcycle "Mini 3" gauge kit, part# BA003200. I liked the small form factor and figured a bike gauge would fare as well or better in a truck. The Koso kit is a simple sensor + wiring extension + LCD display kit. It features a "low pressure alarm" which makes the display blink at whatever pressure you set. 3M velcro included for mounting.

North America retail price is around $180 but ordered from Webike in Japan was <$100 shipped. I chose 7 day shipping but it arrived in 3 days. NOTE: Install instructions were in Japanese but you can download the English PDF from the N. America site.

koso1.jpg

For threaded ports I chose the URD oil filter sandwich plate as an affordable option. When it arrived I found the machining was not as nice as the URD fuel rail adapter block I own. There was an obvious attempt to hand deburr the interior side of the threaded ports but I found multiple burrs I didn't want in the oil system. Deburring tool and needle files knocked those and all interior thin/sharp edges down.

urd1a.jpg

urd2.jpg

urd3.jpg

The URD plate features three 1/8-27tpi ports. It comes with two Allen plugs and one threaded bolt plug. The threading and "plugs" seem to be straight threads and not tapered like NPT. I used Ultra Black sealant on the plugs for the final install. Two threaded filter-thread adapters were included. I expected one to be the usual 3/4-16 and the other to be metric. Both were 3/4-16.

The Koso sensor is threaded 1/8-27. I temporarily powered the sensor and tested it along side a mechanical gauge. The Koso consistently reads 2-3psi lower than my mechanical at all pressure ranges. I don't know which is more accurate but I was glad to see they were close.

I added split loom sheathing and an inline fuseholder. Power came from the truck's switched accessory/cigarette lighter circuit.

koso2a.jpg

ptest1.jpg

Installed permanently, looks like this:

koso3.jpg

int-sun.jpg int-bklit.jpg

Backlight appears to be on all the time. I haven't driven it at night so I'll report back if too bright. Tinted film should help if needed.

Start up oil pressure 89 degree ambient, Mobil 1 5w30+YZZD3: ~70psi
    760rpm in 100+ degree city traffic: 16-20psi
    4600rpm 100+ degree heat: ~70psi

I'm itching to see how oil pressure varies if any as the oil ages. Also plan on spinning an M1-209A synthetic filter on to see if there's any effect on pressure.

Side note - The neatest, most painless oil pressure monitoring option I found was the $200 Phoenix wireless pressure sensor . It can be monitored from an iOS or Android app. It is intended for industrial applications but wasn't stoked about some details (something about needing to dry out periodically and battery life underhood?) but it's an interesting option if you troubleshoot oil/fuel pressure regularly.

Also, the AEM digital gauge has analog voltage output for logging via ECU or high impedance voltage logger.

nk1794 likes this.
  2. Jul 28, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    nk1794

nk1794 Always torque to spec

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    SnugTop, TRD Catback, DECKed Storage, TRD Sway Bar, ESP Under Seat Storage, Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dashcam
    Nicely done!

trash.panda[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 29, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors