1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Filter adapter/remote mount?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Charliebrn, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Feb 11, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    Charliebrn

Charliebrn [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC Limited 4x4 Tundra
    Tyger Folding Tonneau cover Polished stainless running boards LED interior lighting VLED Footwell Kit LED Bed lighting
    Thinking of upgrading the current filter housing on my '17. As I looked around I got to thinking that the older I get, the more I don't really want to crawl around under my truck and fight with skid plates, etc. Has anyone done the adapter/remote mount?

https://baxterperformanceusa.com/about-us/

Also, for those that swapped the plastic housing for the aluminum, I think I saw that theres stuff you need to know to do it properly. Wheres the info on that?

Thanks all...stuff to think about when it's too cold to do anything to the truck....

2. Feb 11, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    Steve6

Steve6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road
    I just got the aluminum replacement. Still need O rings and I'll need the pipe that sits inside the filter inside the housing. It appears that I can swap the center pipe out of the plastic housing and install it in the new aluminum piece but I'd like to get a replacement just in case I damage the piece. Don't know the correct nomenclature for the part.

I'm also interested in replacing the oil drain plug. I've read about the Fumoto plug on this site but I'm also interested in the Femco oil drain plug as it seems like it may be less likely to be damaged or open inadvertently. I haven't seen anything on this site about the Fumoto but this is the link to it on Amazon. In for more answers.

Edited to add that I also need the replacement filter element.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HF8CRW...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

3. Feb 11, 2021 at 6:16 PM
    Charliebrn

Charliebrn [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC Limited 4x4 Tundra
    Tyger Folding Tonneau cover Polished stainless running boards LED interior lighting VLED Footwell Kit LED Bed lighting
    And this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AMXAR8O?th=1

4. Feb 11, 2021 at 7:26 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Yes, the center pipe from the plastic cap needs to be transferred to the aluminum cap.

For removal, you will need to use small needle-nose pliers or a screwdriver to bend or pry the sheet metal retaining tabs that prevent the tube assembly from rotating in the cap. After bending the tabs, tilting as needed while you rotate the tabs past the stops, will free the center tube from the cap.

Note the order of assembly for the valve plate and spring under the tube assembly, and assemble them back the same way in the aluminum cap. Re-bend the tabs back to their original shape once they are centered between the retention tabs in the cap.

I am not sure, but I don't think the center tube is available as a separate part. A center pipe of the proper length is provided with the filter housings; I believe the only way to get a correct spare will be to buy the plastic filter housing. The center pipe is made of thin sheet steel. You aren't going to hurt it by bending those locking tabs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Bammer likes this.
  5. Feb 12, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    Steve6

Steve6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road
    I like the Stahlbus one even better, thanks for the link.

Opus5150 likes this.
  6. Mar 8, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    Opus5150

Opus5150 Terminal Lance

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Live Free or Die
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    I've had the Stahlbus plug on mine for a while now. Never spilled a drop.

Products Discussed in

To Top