1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Offroading ideas Rapid City SD, Red Lodge MT, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, Driggs ID

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Big Yota, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Feb 24, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    Big Yota

Big Yota [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4 Blazing Blue Pearl
    Cap (soon)
    The family and I will be taking the new Tundra out west this summer. Finally sat down and made a schedule with stops and it looks like we will be spending a few days in the following spots.
    Badlands/Mt Rushmore around Cedar Rapids SD
    Then heading NW up to Red Lodge Montana. Planning to get close to Granite Mountain (Elev 12,700 feet). From there taking the Bear Tooth Pass route down into Wyoming to hit Yellowstone NP/The Grand Tetons NP. Looks like we will be staying in Driggs Idaho which will be base camp.
    So i am looking for some off-roading adventures if any of you are familiar with the areas. Nothing too crazy just want to get off the asphalt as we will be covering a lot of miles on pavement just getting there from Chicago.

2. May 4, 2019 at 5:45 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Chebby & 1999 Taco
    If you have the time while in the Black Hills and Custer State Park do take the time to drive the full loop - not offroading but the roads have plenty of scenery and twists and turns to keep it interesting. Iron Mountain road and the Needles Highway.
    On your way across Wyoming plan to catch Highway 14 over the Bighorn Mountains if you can. Beautiful area. Steep drive though. Not recommended if you're towing a trailer....that kind of terrain is not for the faint of heart. But neither is the Beartooth.
    Red Lodge is a cool little town, lots of shops and restaurants along the mian street. I recommend the candy store.
    Going over the Beartooth watch for a sign on the right while you're still below the tree line that says "campgrounds". That leads to the Parkside/Limber Pine CGs and just past the CG's the roads to Helllroaring Plateau and Glacier Lake Trailhead. Little rough, kinda steep. Probably going to have a ton of campers and ATVs to dodge but its a pretty area to explore and definitely worth the time.
    After that you are pretty much committed to the Beartooth Highway, not a lot of side roads since its a wilderness area.
    If you have the time to drive the Chief Joseph Pass from near the top of the Beartooth down to Cody I highly recommend it as well.
    Closer to Cooke City watch out for the signs for Lulu and Daisy passes just past the turn off to Colter Campground. Dirt roads that make a loop just to the north of the highway. There are lots of other roads that tie in back here so be sure to have a GPS and map, not a lot of signage once youre on the dirt roads.
    Outside of Yellowstone on the West side I recommend taking the detour off of Highway 20 to the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. Takes a little longer to drive but the scenery is great and the Mesa Falls Site is worth a stop.

Products Discussed in

To Top