1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official 3rd gen exhaust thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by dirtydeeds, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Jan 27, 2023 at 7:33 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    Well said , me too

dirtydeeds[OP] likes this.
  2. Jan 27, 2023 at 7:50 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds [OP] Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here

There’s always power with twin turbos and less restrictive exhaust. I will have Dyno numbers in the future to prove this:)

In the mean time here’s another version of same exhaust but more aggressive:

https://youtu.be/xRmjqjQDXBg

pwpblue, ChiefG and wxman91 like this.
  3. Jan 27, 2023 at 8:09 PM
    wxman91

wxman91 Spun Bearing Enthusiast

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    22 CM TRD Sport AG
    CBI Baja Bumper / BD S2s Falken Wildpeak AT3W 315/70R17 Method 316 TRD Pro Flares + OEM interior mods Alpharex Headlights TRD CV Axles Total Chaos UCAs Procomp 2.5 VST Shocks Dobinson Coils RCI Skid
    Wow, it almost sounds more responsive and quicker revving unless I'm just imagining that.

4. Jan 27, 2023 at 9:58 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    It really makes the truck come alive for sure. It does rev quicker. And it accelerates better.

5. Jan 28, 2023 at 6:02 AM
    Hollis16

Hollis16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Vehicle:
    2022 LR Tundra 4x4 TRD OR
    Keith, I got your muffler on my truck, we talked a little on a FB thread about resonators. Can you shoot me some info about your resonator? Im looking to add something to knock down the startup and slight dronish noise I have right around 2k rpm. Thanks!

6. Jan 28, 2023 at 6:40 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    Best way to hash that out is to call me. 760-877-4234. Leave message if I don’t answer.

Hollis16[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 3, 2023 at 10:41 PM
    NVRsyDI

NVRsyDI 22 TRD PRO Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    Tundra TRD Pro 22
    Wescott level kit KMC Bead Lock 17" (Unreleased) 37" Nitto Tires Burger 4P Tuner Burger BOV Hike It Pedal Controller Black Widow Exhaust (2) JL Audio 13.5 TWv2 subs 10% Tint Windshield 50% 8 gang switch hub 12 smart rgb rock lights
  8. Feb 4, 2023 at 8:43 AM
    Limitrd

Limitrd New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    22 Lunar Rock Limited Hybrid TRD Off Road CM 6.5
    None yet
  9. Feb 4, 2023 at 12:56 PM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
  10. Feb 14, 2023 at 12:17 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
  11. Apr 8, 2023 at 8:22 AM
    bigblue14

bigblue14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Advanced Package
    TRD lift and AFE airbag arms, 285/65 Cooper AT3s
  12. Apr 8, 2023 at 10:02 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    Received. Thank you! We will also send our newest version of Helmholtz resonator for the trd pro tailpipe.

ryanwgregg and bigblue14[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Apr 8, 2023 at 10:03 AM
    bigblue14

bigblue14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Advanced Package
    TRD lift and AFE airbag arms, 285/65 Cooper AT3s
    Great thank you!

14. Apr 12, 2023 at 3:04 PM
    paradizecityz

paradizecityz New Member

Member:
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Off Road
    You ever come up with something for stock tailpie? :)

15. Apr 12, 2023 at 4:03 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    Yes, basically. We have a ‘canister’ for in the system. A Helmholtz in tailpipe likely won’t be necessary. But, I have toyed with the idea in case I can make it even quieter.

paradizecityz[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 12, 2023 at 6:37 PM
    paradizecityz

paradizecityz New Member

Member:
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Keith, its the guy from Texas. I have that "canister" already and remember you were working on something for the tailpipe section :)

17. Apr 12, 2023 at 7:48 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    We have kne for the trd tailpipe. But not for the stock tailpipe, yet.

paradizecityz[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 21, 2023 at 4:04 PM
    AND

AND New Member

Member:
    Washington, PNW
    Did you just cut right above the resonator or below, is the resonator still on there?
    If you did remove the resonator, how much did the sound change?
    Im on the same about tail pipes, dont wanna see them and I also dont want to hear them.

19. Dec 2, 2023 at 3:32 PM
    Tundra173

Tundra173 TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    JCB4
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD SPORT 4x4
    Stillen Cat-Back exhaust, TRD air-filters
    *EDITS/UPDATES in BOLD

Tonight, proceeding this original post, I went on a long night drive, around town and along Hwy 1, where I had the road mostly to myself. So I’m going to elaborate on some elements.

There’s a few exhaust threads, but this one seems to have the most activity and input from some of the more active, veteran members of the forum. And it’s appropriately titled lol. So I’ll stick this here. FYI, it’s a long post, and my first regarding mods, so I’m trying to be as efficient and informative as possible without taking up too much real estate.

4x4_Toyota_Tundra_STILLEN_Exhaust_v3.jpg

Obv, I had a Stillen Cat-Back system put on my truck. The other day, Austin, their director of sales, posted in another thread here offering a discount to members willing to try it out and share experiences. I jumped on it cuz they are local to me in SoCal. I’m gonna share my initial impressions and then follow up again after a week or so. First, here is some media from their YouTube channel and then my own shitty, novice media lol

This is their official YouTube channel with the sound as compared against stock. Ends with a dyno comparison:

They also put together a short highlight video of the installation on my truck. However, no sound clip is included:

And here is my own newer video of start-up just in my driveway and 0-60 rollout:

https://youtu.be/lFuu9zSQGNg?si=mCNtFukR-XHVEoro

Initial impressions: I was able to experience it in different driving conditions during my 90 minute commute through LA traffic back home. I got a mix of normal highway driving, stop and go traffic, and wide open back roads.

The first engine start-up impressed me. It was likely augmented by being in the shop garage, but I was pleased. To go from almost no sound to something deeper that you can actually hear and feel really adds to the experience. That part satisfies me. Makes me smile :) Subsequent start-ups have been cool too. Again, it went from having almost no personality to having some personality. Over time, I’ll decide whether that’s of real value. But it’s new and exciting for now.

Driving: Butt dyno felt that it was immediately more responsive, albeit subtly so. Rolling stops and then accelerating seem improved slightly. I am quite confident that my truck does not have the lag issue that some earlier adopters of this truck complained about and that seems to have mostly been resolved. I experience normal turbo lag, nothing that I didn’t expect, but certainly something I’d like to minimize, if possible. This newfound responsiveness is a plus, but again, it’s subtle, and not something everyone might expect to feel, depending on your sensitivity. The responsiveness is definitely not in my head. I got used to a slight delay when accelerating at slower speeds where I needed to exercise control, like in busy parking lots. The same foot pressure that became automatic makes the truck lunge forward almost instantly. Not out of control, of course lol.

Sound!: I like it! Love it? Still don’t know yet for sure. It’s throatier than a tuner car, but it’s probably still closer to that than it is a V8, as you might imagine. It does seem like some people hope for the opposite though. Not likely gonna happen. So is there drone? Well, I’m not sure any exhaust system is truly drone-free. After this post, but before my night drive, I went online to further educate myself on what “drone” technically is. I listened to several video examples, as well. I’ve determined that drone possibly isn’t ever fully eliminated, just more or less perceived. There is really almost no perceivable drone with this exhaust. I mean, likely somewhere for some seconds there’s some reverb, but seems very short lived. And since I had to actively look for it, I’d say that this is nearly “drone-free”. To be clear, it’s been about 15 years since I’ve owned a vehicle with a modified exhaust. So my initial interpretation of the drone around 2k just cruising is mostly just the exhaust itself. I got way too used to quiet vehicles it seems lol. The drone occurs around 2k and remains if you’re easy on the throttle, but not accelerating much, as when climbing a slight grade, for example. But when you’re a bit heavier on the throttle to accelerate normally, not necessarily quickly, it’s a mellower tone. <- duh, this is the point. And accelerating hard is very fun! These Tundras are quick and having some sound adds to the fun factor of being heavy on the throttle. More Fast and Furious than Ford vs Ferrari, of course, but we all expect that to be the case for obvious reasons. Stillen said that I could expect it to mellow out a bit rather quickly, after just 20 miles or so. It actually did. I got to about 30 miles down the freeway and it did quiet down a hair. For background, I’ve had exhaust systems on 3 out of the 6 trucks that I’ve owned. All, but one, were 6 cylinder engines. 4 of 6 were mid-size trucks. I went with Magnaflow every time for no other reason than it pleased me on my first go. However, those systems had drone. Worst offender was my single cab Ford Ranger lol. <- this was truly drone and the Stillen does not resemble this in any way at all. I recall once that a friend stopped wanting to ride with me due to the drone. And it got to a point that I couldn’t even converse with my passenger. This was half my life ago, so I had to actively mine my memories to recall these events lol. But I still preferred sound over no sound. Granted, I was young and obnoxious. I should add that I’ve owned three Ducati’s and I love the L-twin sound. So maybe that adds another frame of reference for some of you.

Any way, with this truck I did like so many of you and listened to as many sound clips online as I could find, as well as scour this forum. I was in search of a pleasant, mellow tone that wouldn’t offend anyone, least of all me, yet still sounded sporty when scooting around town. This achieves the sportiness for sure, but I’ll need more time doing normal driving to determine if the sound is welcome change from the quietness of stock. There is something to be said for the quiet. It doesn’t interfere with my podcasts or conversations with passengers. I’ll need to get my wife’s thoughts on this, as well, and share that y’all. The sound definitely does not interfere with my podcasts.

Design: it’s a beautiful system. Shiny, stainless steel tubing and a black tip with the red logo. Perfectly matches my trucks color combo. I couldn’t be happier with the look! Totally subjective, but much better than stock we might all agree.

Cost: reasonably and competitively priced. I saved money, so I’m very pleased lol, yet full price still puts it in line with competitors, and even less so than many of them. The discount may be on the table still, should you be interested.

Performance: I share the sentiment that one should always manage expectations with exhaust. Generally, it’s best to shop for the sound you want versus power gains because it’s just not gonna change much. I’m doing my best not to be biased and imagine changes that aren’t there to justify the money I spent. That being said, after day two of carrying on with normal driving errands, I still think the responsiveness is improved slightly <noticeably.

Customer Service: considering I took advantage of an offer and received installation at the factory, I can’t speak to the ordering/shipping process that most of you might deal with. But I did get an opportunity to meet Austin, the director of Sales, and Kyle Millen, son of Founder and racer Steve Millen, and also R&D Manager for the company (I believe is his title). I got to hang with them for about 2 hours and talk shop causally. They got into great detail about R&D and works in progress. They answered all my novice questions thoroughly, by letting me stick my head into the engine bay of their test tundra. So I left there with an education from passionate professionals and also feeling like they really appreciated my time and my business. I can’t help but be a fan now!

Welp, that’s a wrap for now. As I said above, I plan to get some sound clips actually driving the truck soon. So I’ll edit this post with those when I get to it. But I just wanted to get the bulk of this out asap for prospective buyers to consider.

Hope it was of value to some of you. Any and all replies are welcome. I don’t expect it will please everyone haha

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    OutCasT, ChiefG, iScramble and 2 others like this.
  20. Dec 2, 2023 at 3:56 PM
    G-Eazy

G-Eazy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black Tundra SR5 TRD Sport
    Decked Drawer System Wescott Designs 3/1 preload collar lift kit Method MR706 18x9” +35mm offset Toyo Open Country ATIII 35x12.5x18
    I cut my tailpipe off just like that: just above the stock resonator. I had close to zero noticeable sound difference from inside or outside the cab. That ugly tailpipe had to go!

ChiefG and jgoliath like this.
  21. Dec 2, 2023 at 10:28 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    The reason that this thread has the most activity is because I’m very active on this forum and have supported the Tundra community almost exclusively since 2003. I have over 100 exhaust options for literally every bed, cab, and engine combination ever produced in a tundra.

I don’t normally go onto a competitors thread and post about my products, and I certainly don’t go around posting how theirs is wrong and how mine is right. But since that system is on my thread, I would love to take this opportunity to compare the differences between the two systems, our two companies and potential customer experiences.

I guess the biggest difference is the one single offering by this other company is all you get. Which is crazy. Why limit yourself and your hard earned dollars to one single offering.

The other issue would be drone. Regardless of internet testimonials, if you don’t specifically cancel out the drone, there’s drone. The 3rd gen trucks drone at 1100-1500 and at 1800-2100 rpm. Both 90-100hz and 130-150hz.

The awesome fact about our systems is that we have a solution for all of the above. We can resolve the drone issue at all rpm, both of the drone frequencies. No other company can say this.

We also have a lifetime warranty on all of our systems. This includes everything imaginable. If it breaks on its own. If you break it off roading. If it rusts out.

The sound is also warrantied. Too loud or too quiet? Just send it back for one which is louder or quieter, for free. *just pay shipping. No other exhaust company on earth offers this type of support to the tundra community or to any other community. It would be impossible, no other company offers as many options for a particular vehicle as we do!!

While the ninja posted system on my thread is very pretty, it simply can’t compete with the component engineering, the sound engineering, or the warranty that we offer the tundra community with our system;)

Thank you for posting so that we could show everybody side by side the differences between a company making a product for many vehicles to make money versus a company which started out by fulfilling a need in a community with mediocre exhaust offerings and evolved into a company with more options than all of the other manufacturers combined.

22. Dec 2, 2023 at 11:11 PM
    Tundra173

Tundra173 TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    JCB4
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD SPORT 4x4
    Damn, it seems I failed to realize you were the OP for this thread. Simple enough for me to have investigated, but I think I landed myself on it somewhere in the middle and saw posts about other exhaust systems and so I just assumed that it was serving the purpose of comparing various systems. I apologize. Lesson learned.

23. Dec 3, 2023 at 12:01 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    Not a problem. I am grateful for the opportunity to use it for just that, a way to compare other companies and other product against mine. As stated before, I can’t just go on their threads and do this. It would make me look like a poor sport, even though what I post is correct and my product and my way of building what the customer needs it superior to all other offerings.

In this case, you just happened to drop that opportunity right into my lap;)

24. Dec 3, 2023 at 12:11 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    Just watched the video of install, it wouldn’t load before my first response.

anytime you use a 2 into 1 muffler you create a ton of turbulence in the exhaust flow. There’s way better low end torque and overall power with a smooth transition y pipe than when you cram both banks into one big chamber. I personally wouldn’t design something like that.

Also, those bands clamps almost always leak. No matter how tight you make them. It’s way cheaper to ship a system in all those little pieces. But it’s not doing a service to the end user with all those leaks or even potential leaks. We build our system in a fixture which mimics the stock system. We do split the system between a proper y pipe and the muffler section, but we use a legit flange that has zero chance of leaking instead of leak prone band clamps.

ChiefG likes this.
  25. Dec 3, 2023 at 12:22 AM
    NHKTundra

NHKTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    Retrax. Uptop AFS bed rack. Condor XL. Dobinson rear springs. BFG 35/12.5/r18. BD light bar and ditch lights. Prinsu roof rack. Diode dynamics fog upgrade.
    This is great.

Well all of this helped me discover your work and company. I was eyeballing the magnaflow overland series for my build below. A 2022 trd pro. I’m specifically looking at the slip on system for my year build. I really like the idea of it, as this engine hasn’t proven itself to me so as a just in case it great I can always swap back to stock in case of any engine issues down the road.

I would like to ask if you have any install videos and sound from this specific system. And it really is something a common man can do in the driveway? I can do eye surgery but am a caveman with trucks. Do appreciate it!

IMG_1189.jpg

26. Dec 3, 2023 at 12:35 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    Awesome truck!! It’s good to see you actually using it too!!

here’s a video of the install of our slip on exhaust.
    https://youtu.be/XJ4KTy_kDyw?si=PCD1jxy169djs3DK

we also have reorganized our website to allow a guy to order their system with varying degrees of sound and of sound canceling if they so choose.

https://dirtydeedsindustries.com/customize-your-2022+

As always, please give a call with specific questions about any level of the above system. 760-877-4234.

Keith

ChiefG likes this.
  27. Dec 3, 2023 at 12:55 AM
    Tundra173

Tundra173 TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    JCB4
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD SPORT 4x4
    Lol so I did. But just so it’s clear for everyone, I posted this of my own accord. Newb mistake on my part. I feel guilty for pitting Stillen unwittingly against you. But I suppose any publicity is good publicity, as the saying goes.

28. Dec 3, 2023 at 12:57 AM
    NHKTundra

NHKTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    Retrax. Uptop AFS bed rack. Condor XL. Dobinson rear springs. BFG 35/12.5/r18. BD light bar and ditch lights. Prinsu roof rack. Diode dynamics fog upgrade.
    Excellent thanks so much!!

29. Dec 3, 2023 at 8:46 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    ChiefG and NHKTundra[QUOTED] like this.