1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Topic- wiring a golf cart horn

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by jaredmillerdvm, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

jaredmillerdvm [OP] Mods will never end!!

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    I am struggling trying to figure this out! Here is what I am working with! I have the horn which has a hot and ground terminal. The horn button also has a hot and ground terminal. I have tried hooking it up all sorts of ways but every time I connect the wires running from horn button to battery it goes off. Why is it that I don’t have to push the button for it to work? I have read I need a voltage reducer since it’s a 12volt horn and my batteries r 8 volts a piece but would that have anything to do with it? I was only connecting to one battery during my testing so I was under 12 volts and it still worked. @NewImprovedRon @TundraTex

6653161D-FFB3-4836-B783-44CA92155A61.jpg
    71E07352-E1D9-440D-B095-0544796B1768.jpg
    A1B6BD2D-3E64-47A0-8710-598C0CD42D75.jpg

2. Aug 16, 2018 at 3:27 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Not sure if I’m imterpreting the pictures correctly. But if the top pic is the switch and if the green wires are from the battery + and the horn+ then you have effectively hardwired the horn to the battery and it will sound as long as it is connected.

The switch/buttton does not likely have a ground. It simply has two terminals that are meant to open or close the circuit path.

If the blue wire in your picture is tied to ground and one or both of the greens are tied to 12v, I would not push the switch as that would cause a direct short and possibly melt your switch or damage the battery or both.

The most likely circuit that you should have is as follows:
    • Wire one terminal of the switch (shouldn’t matter which one) to the horn + terminal.
    • Wire the other switch terminal to the battery + terminal. (If there is a fuse in-line it should go on this wire)
    • Wire the horn - terminal to ground or the battery - terminal.
    • Push the button to test the horn.
    That should take care of it if nothing has been burnt up.

jaredmillerdvm[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Ha. Didn’t see your post earlier when I made my response. Looks like we’re on the same page.

4. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    Thanks guys!

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Worked great. Thanks guys. What’s the worst that can happen if the horn is 12 volt but I’m only connected to an 8 volt battery?

TundraTex and NewImprovedRon like this.
  6. Aug 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Nothing too bad... just a little wimpier toot! Glad it worked out.

Products Discussed in

To Top