1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM steering rack bushing acceptable wear limits?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by J.A.T.O., Feb 29, 2020.

1. Feb 29, 2020 at 8:44 PM
    J.A.T.O.

J.A.T.O. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    Bud Built skid plates, Fox TRD Pro suspension, Nitto terra grapplers
    Does anyone know the “within limits” play range for steering rack bushings?

I’m trying to track down a popping feeling in the steering wheel while driving; and a “clunk” when turning hard left at low speeds.

My skid plates are removed and steering rack has no leaks or firm boots. Tie Rod ends are tight as well as wheel bearings. U joint in steering column seems tight also.

However I can see left right movement in the rack and pinion that coincides with the “pop” felt in the steering wheel.

It feels exactly like a worn out U joint in the steering column of an old Silverado.

2013 5.7 4x4 CrewMax 102k on TRD pro fox suspension with 275/65/20 nittos.

2. Mar 3, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    MS22

MS22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra 4x4
    Sounds like it might be your steering rack bushings.

3. Jun 22, 2020 at 2:44 AM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    Earlier today i diagnosed my bushings were bad. After that i was talking to another server friend that works at a 4x4 shop and told me this secret.

"Clean with brake clean all over...so the tape sticks real good to the heads of the bolts and whatnot...make sure the vehicle is on the ground and do the steering wheel wiggle...preferably not running so the wiggle really wiggles the rack up a bit. If the tape breaks its time for new bushings"

Products Discussed in

To Top