1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Bedlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by scurdyness, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Dec 29, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    scurdyness

scurdyness [OP] One thing is sure, uncertainty is certain

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MBM Platinum_BlackOps
    TRD CAI, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, T-Rex Sport grilles upper and lower, full window tint and brow, de-chromed, powder coat OEM wheels, blue LED interior, Winjet Tails, Retrofit headlights
    Folks,

Seen a few posts on here regarding OEM (factory fit LED bed lights), here is a pic of what they look like under a bedcover. Works for me!

IMG_0843.jpg

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  2. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:04 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Where did you tap into the truck for these lights?

3. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:12 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon Hey! Get off my grass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    I have these installed as well and really like mine. IMG_2904a.jpg

4. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    I tapped into the high break light/dome light circuit. Lights up, along with my step lighting, whenever I open the doors or unlock the doors with the key fob.

5. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Where is that wire located? The instruction shows the tap behind the driver dash.

6. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    scurdyness

scurdyness [OP] One thing is sure, uncertainty is certain

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MBM Platinum_BlackOps
    TRD CAI, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, T-Rex Sport grilles upper and lower, full window tint and brow, de-chromed, powder coat OEM wheels, blue LED interior, Winjet Tails, Retrofit headlights
    Can't help you, It was a factory option at invoice, sorry

7. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I tapped the circuit in the driver side rear door floor scuff plate. The scuff plate pulls up and will reveal the wiring harness running in the channel. The only tricky part of tapping the circuit is to make sure you find the right wire. There are several grayish/purplish wires that run in the wiring channel. You may have to use a test light to verify which one it is. I remember that it is a pretty thin wire in addition to the color. To use a test light, you would need to bare a little insulation on the wire, connect the test light negative to a ground point, and touch the tip of the test light probe to the spot you bared on the wire. If it lights and then goes out when you press the door closed switch (to simulate the door being closed) after the delay, you have found the right wire. I found this easier than following the included instructions which has you routing the wiring to the front passenger floor board, coming up through the floor, routing behind the console under the carpet, and then having to take the driver kick plate and lower dash panel off. Hope that makes sense. If not hit me up again!

AnonVet, KCTundra and scurdyness [OP] like this.
  8. Dec 29, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    That's perfect! I have a test light so I will do that. I don't like their instruction either.

How did you come into the cab?

What did you use as a ground?

9. Dec 30, 2016 at 4:16 AM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    When I installed my bed lights, I also installed LED lighting over my steps at all doors and grounded my individual lights as I went. I grounded my step lights to the step mounting brackets/bolts as I went and my bed lights to good ground points near my tail light assemblies. If you have a multi-meter, you can check the continuity to make sure you have a good ground. That left me with only having to route my positive/hot wire to the driver side rear door scuff plate. If you look underneath your truck directly underneath the door scuff plate area, you will see a number of rubber grommets that cover up holes. Just find one that is in proximity to the point you will be tapping your circuit and pull that grommet out. You can use a piece of stiff wire as a fish wire to push up into the scuff plate wiring channel until you can grab it on top and tape the other end to your wire you will be using as your tap. Then just pull the fish wire up, while feeding your tap wire into the hole. When your tap wire comes out the top in the channel, you can untape your fish wire and you should be good to go. You can cut a small slit in the center of the rubber grommet you used and route your wire through that slit. That way you will have a water-tight entry for your tap wire coming into the wiring channel from underneath when you press the grommet back in. That also protects your wire from coming into contact with any sharp edges. As far as how I tapped into the light circuit in the channel, I would recommend using a PosiTap to do it. The PosiTap will hold the wire you are tapping centered on one end while the tap point pushes through the wire insulation when you screw it in. This insures a positive connection to the center of the wire you are tapping. The other end of the PosiTap is used to connect to your hot wire you routed into the channel for your lights. The hot wire is connected to the 2 positive wires coming from your lights. Last, but not least, I made sure I installed wire loom around my wires that I routed underneath my truck and used plastic ties to attach the loom/wiring to points on the frame. You don't want any wires hanging down that could get snagged on something. Put a dab of silicone on the grommet slit you cut for your wire and you should be good to go. I know I went into more detail than you asked about but thought I would rather provide too much than not enough. Any more questions, just let me know. Obviously, check to make sure your lighting works before reinstalling your scuff plate over the channel. The scuff plate just connects to pressure clips in the channel.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  10. Dec 30, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    damn @RowdyRon u r da man! thanks! I will try to document this procedure for others.

Products Discussed in

To Top