1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OE Cam tab removal

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 68vert, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nov 29, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    68vert

68vert [OP] New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Maybe this will be helpful to someone planning to do a Cam tab upgrade. I tried new drill bits of different sizes to dig into the spot welds of the OE Cam tabs. No go. I ended up taking my pneumatic sheetmetal cutoff saw to carefully grind down the spot welds. What a pain and the first four finally came out in pieces.

DSC02181.jpg
    DSC02182.jpg
    Then the spot weld bits came in. Bought 3 thinking they'd wear down relatively quick, but to my surprise; one bit took out all of the rear Cam tab spot welds and is still good. I went slow and used cutting oil. Heres the link to the bit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMMSSE8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started with a regular bit to remove the rounded head of the spot weld. Then went in with the spot weld bit. After cutting in about 1/16", I used a chisel to pry the Cam tab away far enough to get my chisel in. Hammered and pried till one spot weld remained. Then I grabbed the Cam tab with a pair of vise grips and worked it back and forth to break the Cam tab from the last spot weld.

DSC02183.jpg

2. Dec 1, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    marsbar

marsbar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC Long Bed SR5 O.R.
    Leer cab high topper, Toytec Aluma 2.0 kit, + 1.5 shackles + deaver 3 leaf add, SPC UCAs, SPC LCA bolt kit, 295 70 18 Revo 3 tires.
    That seems like a lot of work and potentially risky to damage the LCA (with the drill and pry-off of the tab plate).
    I recently replaced my stock LCA cam bolts with the SPC kit, so I'm pretty familiar with that whole setup.
    What is motivating this change, and what are you going to replace the stock cam tab plates with?
    The side bars could be a bit a bit beefier, but the stock bolt / sleeve setup seems to be the real weak point in the design.
    What are your plans moving forward with cam tabs and eccentric bolt / washer setup?
    Cheers
    Bob

Leo's first likes this.
  3. Dec 1, 2020 at 4:16 PM
    68vert

68vert [OP] New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Hi Bob, Its been a S*** load of work. The cam tabs are getting replaced with Total Chaos Cam tabs and the truck is also getting a full TC makeover in the front.

Checkout how nice the AFT Cam tabs came out with the spot weld drill bit :muscleflexing:DSC02185.jpg

joonbug likes this.
  4. Dec 1, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Oh nice! I was gonna say it’s probably still about the same amount of work to just grind them off but looks like you got them off pretty clean. I just went to town with my grinder but it was a major pain in the dick.

68vert[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 1, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    68vert

68vert [OP] New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Thanks @joonbug! Yeah grinder for sure w/o the spot weld bit.

Love your build BTW. Totally following and drooling along the way. Maybe I can follow in the future once my truck gets some new legs....

6. Dec 1, 2020 at 4:30 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Hell yeah! What you doing to your truck?

7. Dec 1, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    68vert

68vert [OP] New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Awesome Man! Sounds like a plan. Cant wait to check out that rad ride in person.

As far as my truck goes - last year I put on the fiberglass and did a 3rd gen conversion. This year I'm doing the TC LT and gears.

More here: https://www.tundras.com/threads/the-adventures-of-my-rock-warrior.57432/

joonbug[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 1, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Nice build!! I had to drive around with skinny legs for a few months too. Fricken embarrassing. Lol. Why did you get rid of the offroad bumper and change it back to stock?

9. Dec 1, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    68vert

68vert [OP] New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Thanks! That tube bumper was always kinda temporary till I get a tube bender and plasma table in the new garage. But the new garage keeps getting delayed. Then I kinda fell for that @KevinK look.

joonbug[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top