1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

North West BS Thread

Discussion in 'North West U.S.' started by JAMMDOGG, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Feb 4, 2023 at 4:33 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Sometimes I buy stuff and then forget why I wanted it...

Complete Olicamp stove kit. I think I got this Christmas 4-5 years ago, ran it once to test out and then never used again. Doing a major purge of my garage and I don't need to keep it. Canister is about 1/2 full.

Free to an active member here in the PNW. I'll be in Vancouver/Portland next weekend and doing some shopping Saturday morning (2/11) and can arrange a meet-up. PM me...
    B5A786E4-4543-4611-813C-5EEA7029ED83.jpg

2. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:12 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Need some advice from the locals in Washington.

In the event we decide to travel up to the Seattle area and ending up in San Jaun Islands for a little whale watching. The difficult part is knowing a good place to stay that I don't have to deal with some of the "social trash" that has plagued our great cities streets. We don't mind driving every day and could totally do a cabin (or something like that) outside city limits.

Looks like the best times to see Orcas is May to September. I would like to kayak out, but the wife isn't so "trusting" in the waters as I am with the kids.:rolleyes:

So is early or later summer best? Good places to stay outside Seattle?

3. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:18 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    I hear Anacortes is nice. But never been there. But it would put you close to the San Juan islands.

How long you planning on staying? Seattle is nice for a day or two. Pikes place, space needle, and woodland park zoo would be my recommendation.

4. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Thanks for the recommendations Tim.

Probably a week or two trip. This is just one of the options for vacation. We also wouldn't mind a stay in northern ID either. Might make that a return trip route.

5. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:38 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor?

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Paging @Green Thunder (he’s local)

for gateway to the San Juans, Anacortes or Bellingham would be where to go. La Conner is nice and out of the hustle and bustle a bit.

like Tim said, in Seattle I’d hit Pike Street (and associated things around there), space needle and the EMP museum or whatever it’s called now, and the zoo. Also head out to west Seattle and catch sunset at alkai beach.

if you’ve got time, cruise out and see the Olympic national park, head up to hurricane ridge. It’s not a bunch of 14’ers like CO, but it’s still beautiful.

heading East/home, it’s a longer route but highway 20 through the North Cascades is stunning. The east side you can drop down into wenatchee and backtrack a little ways up to Leavenworth or keep trucking east. @NWPirate is in that general area too (not far from Wenatchee)

N. Idaho is also beautiful in the summer - Coeur d’ Alene just off I-90 is always busy. Silverwood theme park is just north of there, lots of camping and lakes to check out. Or head down into Lewiston where Tim is at and check out Hells Canyon

6. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:42 PM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat
    Yeah, Anacortes is pretty cool. It's mostly just the ferry hub. Mt. Vernon is also a good area to stay while checking out the islands.

Check out Coupeville on Whidbey Island, you drive over an amazing bridge to get on the island.
    Screenshot_20230206_222521_Google.jpg
    Definitely take the ferry out for a day trip to Friday Harbor/ Roche Harbor. I would say later summer would be better weather than earlier. The big city trash hasn't infiltrated that far north, yet.

7. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:45 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    If driving, recommend taking white pass coming or going. Beautiful drive with views of Mt Rainer.

8. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:50 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Some great advice fellas. I will chat it over with the other half and see what kind of plans we can come up with.

I have a special warfare buddy do some military training up in the area a couple years ago and sent pics and videos...and that was the cause for concern.

We will drive. So if you see a white GMC with CO plates on it, give us the two finger salute.:D

9. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:53 PM
    NWPirate

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    +1 for N. Cascades highway, it's amazing. Plus, it puts you right into a cool little western town called Winthrop.

10. Feb 7, 2023 at 6:14 AM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Gimmie until this evening to reply. Need to be on a normal keyboard to put my thoughts down. Not a two-thumb phone ninja.

11. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:14 PM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Okay, so there is so much to talk about that I just focus on the basics. If you want more details or ideas to fill in the blanks, hit me up.

Regarding Seattle, the worst always gets the attention. There are a lot of problems in that city and surrounding areas, but it's not all that bad. I get if you don't want do deal with it and I don't blame you. Honestly, this state is amazing without that dumpster fire. Skip and and you won't miss anything.

If the theme is Whales and Water, then head North out of town and don't look back. Some of my thoughts:
    • The San Juan Islands are beautiful in the summer. Lopez is super low key, San Juan is nice but I haven't been there in decades. Orcas is where we go. The ferry ride from the mainland (departs Anacortes) is stunning. You don't kayak these waters for fun. It's longer than you think and can get very busy. There's an inter-island ferry between the islands that people love to take, but I've never done it. It's been a few years since I was there, but we have stayed at https://www.westbeachresort.com/ the past few trips. The cabins are rustic, but clean and functional. Some of the cabins are right on the water, each with their own fire pit. The office has beer on tap...I'll see if I can dig up a pic. It's a very cool area and a good base for exploring the islands. Get a reservation for the ferry. Lots of whale watching in this region
    • Whidbey Island is one of our favorites. There are two main ways onto the island. First is a short ferry from the South end and the North end is Deception Pass...that's the pic that @NWPirate posted above. It is as stunning as the picture looks. Lots of fun towns with great food on Whidbey. There's a ferry from Fort Casey to Port Townsend that's a great walking "tourist" type of town. Fort Casey is a WWI fort that still has some huge guns that were installed for coastal defense (check the googles). If you really like military stuff, there's an area called Keystone just East of the ferry dock that's right on the water. Whidbey Island Navel Base has a "carrier" mock-up landing strip just north of Keystone and F-18s do practice flights once a week (Tuesday or Thur....cannot remember). My folks rented a home there for a month a few years ago and loved it. The planes come in off the water, full roar and low enough you can see the pilots. Apparently shakes the house.
    • Highway 20 runs E-W from Anacortes and is a breathtaking drive once you start to climb into the mountains.
    So, if it was me...I'd get a house on Whidbey for a few days. Take the ferry over from Mukilteo (south end) and explore the island. Do a walk-on to Port Townsend for the day and just go wherever the mood takes you. Then drive North over Deception Pass and take a ferry from Anacortes to the San Juans. Do your thing there for a few days and then pick up Hwy 20 right in Anacortes and head East. Winthrop is a fun town on the other side of the mountains. But the real fun place is Mazama. It's a one-store town that's a hub of anything outdoors in the area. Lots of fun hiking and other things in the area. From there I'd cruise South to Hwy 2 and go East into ID.

Dalandshark, CodyP, gosolo and 4 others like this.
  12. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:23 PM
    Dsptundra

Dsptundra Still a new member...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
    Husky X-act, front windows tint, Xpel PPF, center console organizer and tray, TRD rear sway bar, touch screen cover, transmission cooler, wireless charger, keyless tailgate lock.
    Another vote for Whidbey Island. My in-laws built their retirement home there. Along with Coupeville, Langley is worth a stop.

13. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:34 PM
    Dsptundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
    Husky X-act, front windows tint, Xpel PPF, center console organizer and tray, TRD rear sway bar, touch screen cover, transmission cooler, wireless charger, keyless tailgate lock.
    Okay folks. My Toyota care ends at the end of the month so I need to start changing my oil again. I am embarrassed to say the last time I changed my own oil was prior to kids when I had my Jeep back in about 2007.

Going to start gathering the items I need specifically for the Tundra.

-Factory filters.
    -Replacement aluminum housing, swap inner tube from plastic housing.
    -Fumoto valve or Valvomax valve plus necessary tubes for draining.

Questions:
    Does the filter housing require a certain size socket?
    Anyone have strong opinions of the Fumoto versus the Valvomax?

gosolo and RainMan_PNW like this.
  14. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:36 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    If you really want to have some pucker - head up from Mazama to Hart's Pass - it is the highest point you can get to by vehicle in the state of WA. Nothing like Pike's Peak or anything, but at the same time it's quite the road to get there. Though I don't think I'd do it in a full size 1 ton pickup...there's some hairy narrow spots on that road with a LONG ways straight down on one side of you. That said, that area is absolutely breathtaking.

15. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:38 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    get this
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791MWXDC

Oil filter housing "socket"
    oil filter housing drain
    oil fill thread-in funnel

16. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:39 PM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    @ColoradoTJ some pics...

View from West Beach Resort
    IMG_5449.jpg IMG_5444.jpg

Coastal Guns at Fort Casey
    IMG_0943.jpg

This is Deception Pass State Park (North/mainland side)
    IMG_2648.jpg

This is from the house my parents rented in Keystone beach
    IMG_4001.jpg

Diablo Lake from Hwy 20IMG_8336.jpg

17. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:44 PM
    Dsptundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
  18. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:46 PM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Portions of the road are single lane (barely), switch back blind turns with angry Subaru drivers. It's a blastIMG_1277.jpg

Altitude is about 6,000ft. The top is a cool fire watch tower and lots of hiking. Plus a 360 degree view of this:
    IMG_8359.jpg

19. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:48 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes - that 1/2 mile stretch is fun.

I want to go back there in my '21. Last time I was in my 2008.

The PCT passes through there - that was the pick-up spot when my wife and her friend did the final leg to Canada in 2020 (and couldn't enter the country, so had to backtrack 30 miles to Hart's Pass for pick-up). Hiking north about 6 miles from the lookout tower along the PCT is some amazing views.

20. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:49 PM
    NWPirate

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Yep, same kit I've got, works like a charm!

21. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:52 PM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Never heard of Valvomax...so no comment there. Used Fumotos for 20 years and never had one fail. Never heard of one failing either. The link @RainMan_PNW gave you is the money. That's got the socket needed to remove the filter base and it just takes a standard 1/2' socket insert.

gosolo likes this.
  22. Feb 7, 2023 at 9:04 PM
    NWPirate

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Hart's Pass, love it!
    We used to ride sleds up from Mazama and frequently had to cut trail through the avalanches.
    Zero room for error on a single sled trail.

Did a little edit below. Having kids, not a chance I would do this now.
    Screenshot_20230207_205335_Chrome.jpg

23. Feb 7, 2023 at 9:25 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Rental!!! :rofl:

Yeah, I can't see taking a 1 ton moby dick up there.

24. Feb 7, 2023 at 9:27 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Breathtaking!! Think we are sold on a vacation. And just to think I was about to move up to Washington or Alaska in 2001 to start over....then I met "the girl."

NWPirate, jewsNbrews, gosolo and 2 others like this.
  25. Feb 7, 2023 at 9:44 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Done. I'm sold. I think it would be an amazing time. I was hoping the dolphins in FL would have been a little closer when we were there. My oldest really wanted to see one up close. When we were on the beach (coastal side) there was a shark sighting and it kinda freaked them out a bit.

I shared one of my favorite channels on YouTube with them and how great white sharks are usually very close to humans all the time without incident. That helped a little. They got in the water on the gulf coast side snorkeling.

Now the research is on for locations, times, and CCW reciprocity.

26. Feb 7, 2023 at 10:04 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    It’s probably pretty far out of the way for you but I hear there’s a cool blacksmithing shop in NW Oregon where you can get a live demo and a free meal with a cold brew.

27. Feb 7, 2023 at 10:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I've heard the same thing. Guy does some excellent work and would drain my bank account due to not being able to control oneself....:D

28. Feb 7, 2023 at 10:10 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Looks like I need to get a mail-in CCW permit from North Dakota. Guess I will start working on that....

NWPirate and jewsNbrews like this.
  29. Feb 8, 2023 at 6:13 AM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Really? I didn’t think we honored any out of state permits. Or at least not from states that were not your home state. Interesting

30. Feb 8, 2023 at 6:39 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Not many, that's for sure. ND is the easiest for this guy to get.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf

By all means, if you see/know something else please let me know.

Products Discussed in

To Top