1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NOCO Boost X review

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by ColoradoTJ, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Jan 20, 2024 at 6:35 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I received a NOCO Boost X GBX45 for Christmas this year and wanted to do a little review on it.

I have only used jumper cables a couple times in my 35 years of driving and never considered having a little boost pack. One, I rarely would jump another vehicle due to the risk of damaging my own vehicle. As easy as it is to hook a positive/negative terminal up, I've seen it happen. The day after putting this gift in my truck I needed to use it. We were at the gas station and a couple needed a jump. Well perfect timing...I have just the thing. Hooked the boost box up, turned it on and said "try it". Fired right up and explained to the mom and son why they keep needing a jump (old battery, dirty top, corroded terminals) and how to fix it.

I was rather impressed with this small package boost box.

Some other features are:

-Multi port device charging
    -flashlight with warning strobe function. Pretty handy if you don't want to be hit by oncoming traffic.
    -No damage to your vehicle.
    -Very useful for off-roading trips in the back country.

IMG_3287.jpg

NOCO has different amp ratings for a variety of applications.

https://no.co/products/power

I will be putting these in all my vehicles now and taking out the bulky jumper cables.

Y0TA PR0, Warreng, TheBeast and 10 others like this.
  2. Jan 20, 2024 at 6:51 AM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Carry one of these for the same reason, you never know when you might need to help someone and this let's you assist while leaving your truck out of the equation. Also keeps you from depending on a stranger if you run into trouble. All around a great product to just provide some piece of mind. They also hold their charge for a long time, so it should be ready whenever you need and hopefully won't be dead. Its a product I recommend as well.

Edit: I don't think I have the X, but I have a Noco and like it a lot.

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 20, 2024 at 6:54 AM
    cran2

cran2 New Member

Member:
    Folly Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Crewmax 4x4 and 03 Sequoia 4x4
    These are great! I’ve kept them in all of our vehicles and boats for years. My son, 13 at the time, was able to jump my wife’s GX460 with ease. I wouldn’t have ever even allowed him to attempt using jumper cables at the time.
    My Tundra battery decided to go totally dead with no warning 2 weeks ago. Bad cell I think, No dash lights, nothing! The smaller GB20 started the 5.7 no problem!
    Highly recommended!

4. Jan 20, 2024 at 7:11 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    T-Rex266 and RobertD like this.
  5. Jan 20, 2024 at 7:14 AM
    BoysandHisToys

BoysandHisToys New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited
    12” Bulletproof Lift, AFE CAI, AFE Exhaust, rock lights, Fas-Top tonneau and soft topper, Dasaita 10.2” radio, light bar, ditch lights, LED headlights and fog lights, LED interior lights, Amp Research rear bumper step, dashcam, BT ODBII reader and Torque app on radio
    Bought one of these for my 16 year old daughter for Christmas. Always great to have on hand.

ColoradoTJ[OP], RobertD and cran2 like this.
  6. Jan 20, 2024 at 7:15 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    I have one in each vehicle. They’re great.

T-Rex266, ColoradoTJ[OP] and RobertD like this.
  7. Jan 20, 2024 at 5:19 PM
    Selcouth

Selcouth New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2019 Smoked Mesquite 1794
    My worry is that it will function fine for the first two years and then when I need it randomly one day it's going to be dead. Outside of any return/warranty period. How do they hold up over 4-5 years? And what's the minimum size you'd carry for a 5.7 V8?

8. Jan 20, 2024 at 6:22 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    I have a knockoff one that I’ve had about 5 years now. I top off the charge once a year. I had to use it a few months back and it was 3/4 charged, and fired the truck right up.

I can only imagine the Noco (being the name brand) will perform even better than the knockoff one I have.

Y0TA PR0, Bob and T-Rex266 like this.
  9. Jan 20, 2024 at 6:48 PM
    Dawoofles

Dawoofles New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cheyenne, WY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tundra SR5
    TRD rear sway bar, SS3 Max Amber Fog Lights, Carthartt Seat Covers, Morimoto LED interior lights, Driver Side Grab Handle, Husky Floor Liners, Weathertech full SunShade, Cat Back Stainless Works Dual Exhaust, OEM metal Oil Canister, Bed Mat, Deck Rail System, OCD Center Console, Full RCI skid Plates(Engine,Transmission, Cat Guard, and fuel tank)
    I had the same gooloo for 4 years. Charge it every month just to make sure it’s topped off. I also carry a portable battery pack so easy to remember when it’s dead. I would buy the largest one you can afford, I would rather be able to jump start any vehicle, instead of asking what engine they have, and then say sorry I can’t help you.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  10. Jan 20, 2024 at 8:29 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    One nice feature of the Noco GBX series (vs the regular Noco GB series) is you can charge the X with a USB-C cable, rather than the micro USB cable needed to charge the GB. That's one less single-use cable you need to carry around since everything nowadays is moving toward USB-C.

11. Jan 20, 2024 at 8:41 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    I am surprised you didn't already have something similar. I have one in each vehicle, oversized to account for battery drain by the time it is needed. When the battery in my Tundra died a couple of months ago, this thing started me up and I drove straight to Costco to get my new battery. You just have to make sure you charge it regularly - mine need charging about once per year.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED][OP] and Bob like this.
  12. Jan 20, 2024 at 9:01 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    Did it get charged after unboxing or was it using whatever juice it came with from the factory

13. Jan 20, 2024 at 9:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    It was charged from what I seen but I put it on a 30 min charge to make sure. This can jump start like 80 times before needing a full charge. Impressed.

Y0TA PR0, Bob[QUOTED] and T-Rex266 like this.
  14. Jan 20, 2024 at 9:42 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I always change my batteries out a little early. On my truck, they went 6.5 years and still were in good shape (AC Delco batteries are pretty good). I've only had battery failures on my crawler due to extreme use.
    Now my wife on the other hand has had several battery failures due to leaving her lights on (auto mode, auto shut off after a couple min).

Bakershack[QUOTED], T-Rex266 and Bob like this.
  15. Jan 21, 2024 at 4:59 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    When the forum boss surprises you with a gift in the mail to couple it @Bob :thumbsup:

IMG_4353.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    Bakershack, ColoradoTJ[OP] and Bob like this.
  16. Jan 21, 2024 at 5:09 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    The NoCos are very nice and reliable. I have 2 of the GB40's. If you are looking for a nice charger, look at the features of the Genious10. Amazon has some decent travel cases for the various NoCo models as well.

https://no.co/genius10

ColoradoTJ[OP], Bob and T-Rex266 like this.
  17. Jan 21, 2024 at 6:23 PM
    *D*

*D* New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 DC Long Bed 4x4 SR5
    I have the Noco Boost Pro (GB150). I bought it about 4 years ago and it still looks and works like brand new (I mean, how often are you gonna use it really?). It’s started my last 5.7 maybe 4 or 5 times. Good number of random cars too. It’s a great tool to carry! I recharge it every 6 months.

ColoradoTJ[OP] and Bob like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top