1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newly installed Rola ladder racks

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Lovethetundras, May 3, 2018.

1. May 3, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    Lovethetundras

Lovethetundras [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road CrewMax SR5
    IMG_5696.jpg Just installed these rola ladder racks 2018 TRD off road SR5. easy install and look good too.IMG_5695.jpg

r1-superstar likes this.
  2. Jul 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    Tundra Grandpa

Tundra Grandpa New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Gray Tundra Limited TRD Off Road
    Congratulations, your install looks GREAT! Have you had any issues with the rack yet? Was it as difficult to install as I've read in some reviews? Any precautions you can share? What do you typically haul with the rack?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am tearing out what lil hair I have left, trying to pick a set of racks to go on my new Tundra TRD Off Road Limited. Thought the bed rails would be great and now I realize their downfall. My son has a 2014 Tundra and took off the side rails to fit his ladder rack. Not being a Truck Surgeon, I am trying to avoid altering the vehicle other than to add bolts or tighten clamps. All my wife and I want to do is haul our 2 kayaks (10 & 12 foot) up over the bed to make room for our bikes when we drag our travel trailer... that's all :) Still looking for 1/4" tapped t-nuts for mounting the bike mounts to the bed rail for the other half of this project.

Looking for advice from all you Tundra fans and appreciate any help.

Thanks!

3. Jul 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    Lovethetundras

Lovethetundras [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road CrewMax SR5
    These racks are great. very economically priced and hold the most weight for the money. 800 Lbs. They look great too. I have had a kayak and paddle board up on them, no issues. and no issues to date. Right now I'm hauling around surfboards in anticipation of a swell.
    The rack bases that sit on the top of the bed rail have an off set base plate. Install so that both elongated legs face each other so that the racks have as much distance from each other as possible. This will increase the length of materials you can load on them. I really like mounting to the factory rail so their is no drilling through the truck.DSCN3763.jpg

nk1794, blue16, ATHiker and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jul 24, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    WrigglingWilly

WrigglingWilly Well used Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 4x4 5.7 8.1bed
    LineX
    I am looking at this same rack, but considering this one.
    https://www.carid.com/trailfx/hd-ladder-rack-mpn-fclr001b.html?singleid=1115387357&url=105053384
    I have a similar rack on my Tacoma and having the additional side rail helps me balance on the rail of the bed while adjusting/securing my load. The biggest downside is I may need to take a hacksaw to the deckrail system to make this fit the J bolts(I want to avoid drilling holes). Also, I have a 8 foot bed, so having an extra bar midway down makes loading large tandem kayaks and canoes safer for my rear window and cab, in case I fumble while tipping the load onto the second bar. This will not look as good as the Rola, that is certain.

Products Discussed in

To Top