1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie in Minneapolis, MN.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Johnny5, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Mar 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    Johnny5

Johnny5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Light Blue Tundra SR5 Double-Access
    After about thirty years of driving, finally got my first ever truck, a 2006 Tundra SR5 Double Cab with 125K miles on it. I'm always a fuel economy conscious so it took a lot of my will to finally made the decision to change, not that I don't like truck. All my relatives (bother, nephews, cousins, friends) are all driving Tundras. I finally made the jump, only to be confronted by a "Check Engine Light" after 10-days of owning the Tundra. I was pissed as the purchase was an "As Is." I told my wife, "We're screwed. Why the Check Engine Light comes on within ten days after purchase?" We went back to the dealer we made the purchase and bitched at them. They finally agreed to fix it. It turned out to be a charcoal canister. The Tundra is also due for a corrosion - rust protection recall, so I dropped it off and they gave us a free rental with a 2013 Scion XD. Man oh man...that tiny car saves lots of gas, but drives terrible, noisy, bumpy, no pick up power at all...the reason why it's small.

After five days, we went and pick up our Tundra...ahh....back to comfort zone. What I kind of mind is the 4.7L engine uses a timing belt, which I always shy away from. Is the new 5.7L still based on timing belt or did they change to timing chain now?

This year, our annual camping trip will be a little more fun than before. Now, I have something to boast about to my relatives and friends. I feel like "I'm at your league." Used to feel be-little because I didn't have a truck to drive like they do. Now, let the fun begin!

2. Mar 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    ThemAster

ThemAster New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morpheus
    Hey Jonny5, Welcome to Tundras.com buddy.

3. Mar 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome! The 5.7 has a timing chain.

Products Discussed in

To Top