1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tundra - Can I go wrong??

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by OHwendTrd, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Dec 31, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    TaquitoBandito

TaquitoBandito SSEM #91, KitKat Aficionado, A Dancer for Money Exotic Dancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro Crewmax
    Retrax Pro XR, Desert Eagle Plate, Seat Jackers, Kenwood DMX1037S
    She loved the Cement color - we had the FJ Special Edition or whatever that was Cement and she absolutely loved the color. That's probably the only reason she didn't try to poo-poo me trading in the 1794 for the Cement Pro. The lack of passenger power seat, no moon roof (even though I can't recall using it more than once or twice in the 1794), no heated seats, automatic lights (I fixed that), and the dual climate control. I think that was the complete list of grievances.
    Before the 1794 we had a really cool Platinum MGM (my 3rd favorite color after Army Green & Cement) and she complained that the 1794 didn't have that stupid little storage box above the glovebox. We never used it! For about 30 minutes into the ride home from the dealership, she kept touching the area where the storage box was and would sigh. I finally asked if I she'd just let me enjoy my new truck. In the Cement Pro, she'd make a big production about having to manually adjust the seat. Although, she may just have done that so I'd let her drive.

2. Dec 31, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'm surprised the Pro has those features and the 1794 doesn't...

3. Dec 31, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    I didn't write that well. We had the 1794 and it had all that and more. Bought the 17 Pro (because I loved the color and the look) but it didn't have all of the bells and whistles of the 1794. When we looked at the 20 Pro, it had all of the stuff that she missed from the 1794.

4. Dec 31, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Ah, my bad. Makes sense now.

5. Jan 1, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    Flyer

Flyer New Member

Member:
    New to the forum and I just made an impulse buy- a 2021 Platinum Crewmax in Silver Sky Metallic. Nice truck and shoudl be very reliable for a long long time. I'll never tow more than 5K-6K so it will do just fine. I'm sure next year will be great but I did not want to buy a first-year truck and I wanted one now. My only surprise was- no heated steering wheel. That was surprising.

OP- nice truck! Your color is a bit darker. Good choice. The domestic gassers are certainty fancier and have more features for a bit less money, so ya can't blame people for buy them in droves but the Tundra is reliable and solid.

TaquitoBandito likes this.
  6. Jan 1, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    That's a good impulse! Post a pic or three... and welcome!

7. Jan 1, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    Flyer

Flyer New Member

Member:
    Thank you! Happy New Year! May this one be nothing like the last. I have a couple of pictures in my phone. Let me see how I can post them.

Terndrerrr and TaquitoBandito like this.
  8. Jan 1, 2021 at 4:09 PM
    Flyer

Flyer New Member

Member:
    Not sure if I am doing this right but I’ll maybe try a hosting site.

4FCB1886-869C-44B7-8C4A-894469567C60.jpg

9. Jan 1, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    OHwendTrd

OHwendTrd [OP] Aging Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    @Flyer can't have a better impulse buy IMO, good looking rig. SSM is my second favorite color to MGM. I have actually gone back and fourth on it. Time for some chrome deletes or black it up.

Flyer likes this.
  10. Jan 1, 2021 at 4:37 PM
    Flyer

Flyer New Member

Member:
    Thanks! I'm so broke, but really need running boards and tint first. Then I can see what else but those two things are a must, ASAP!!

11. Jan 1, 2021 at 5:00 PM
    French Avocado

French Avocado Double Entundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah / Wyo
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum MGM; 2008 Ltd TRD SRP
    @Flyer Congrats on the beautiful new truck - she's gorgeous. When that SSM cures and ages then it will become a MGM!

Flyer and TaquitoBandito like this.
  12. Jan 1, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

GIN•OKUMA Can’t get to SSEM from there. RGBA1

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Noun; a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
    Unless you’re looking for a platinum or pro in a specific color it’s not going to matter if you buy now or at the end of the year. There will be 2021 SR5 sports for sale MGM is one of the most manufactured colors in Tundra.

13. Jan 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    OHwendTrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    I appreciate all the comments and suggestions they have helped a lot in aiding my decision. Have definitely sparked some good conversation and I need to do a better job in keeping up!

@TundraLaw I hear you on the leather seats, can't really go wrong with the factory install from the limited trim. But the SR5 trim really provides all the options, the tech is the same and I'm looking for and I'm not overly concerned about resale value over a few extra k's. I'm looking for a truck to buy, own, have a brand new truck (1 owner) last of the and have for a long time even if gas is 6.67 / gal lol. And if the seats break down and stain, Katskin leather will be my out. The tech being outdated really isn't a concern, most of what the '21 has to offer is all I REALLY care about in a truck, complete bell and whistles aren't my style.

@Do58 nice on the '21 MGM, I look to join you soon. I also have a feeling the Get 3 market it going to soar, those V8's will be sought after when it goes strictly V6 in the 2022+. Looking for a new truck now and the 2022 isn't really an option for me being the first year :boink:

@Dalandshark Oh yes, been doing plenty of research. I get 1 new buy probably for the next 10+ years per wifey, I'm looking to make it count.

@Gene5253 going with the cloth brother, I have faith!

@OH tundra "The first thing I would say is the new gen tundra that should be coming soon is not guaranteed to be a home run, I think for that reason purchasing a current tundra is a wise decision. A lot of people don’t care about the tech and comfort that some other brands offer, people want reliability and great resale many years down the road." Amen.

@Terndrerrr Glad I'm not the only one seriously considering the '21, old-school is where its at and it has a tremendous following, I've really learned that by just joining this forum.

@OnespeedTRD Amen. Going for the sport look purely for the appearance, it just so happens to come with a load of perks I'm looking for like the plates and sway bars. I'm not big on the chrome front ends.

@Mill72 Exactly why I'm not going with any of them, the unreadability scares the s*** outta me.

@JLS in WA LMAO nailed it on the head. And I don't think it is available on the limited trim, just the SR5 to my knowledge. I do love line-x for the liner. Are nice aftermarket skid plates available?

@TaquitoBandito You said it. I plan to drive and love it because I know it will love me back.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  14. Jan 1, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    OHwendTrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    Tint on that SSM is going to look sexy, I agree chop chop. Work the streets if you have to. So many options with the running boards, going aftermarket or factory?

15. Jan 1, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    OHwendTrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    You think? Does anyone know when the best time might be to buy? because if I can, I would like to wait awhile longer just to be able to make a larger down payment. I don't think I'll be able to trade the tacoma in, unfortunately for sentimental reasons.

16. Jan 1, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    I put some Westin running boards on my wife's 4Runner pro - I don't believe they were that much. @OHw3ndlingTRD is absolutely right, there's a lot of options for them. Since it's winter, save up for the tint and go Ceramic if you can. Worth every penny. Down here in Central Texas, I can touch the ceramic tinted windows on a 100 degree day and not burn my hands. Good stuff.

17. Jan 1, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    OHwendTrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    Ceramic is so nice and I'm sure worth the money. I've seen some demonstrations on those but never bought it, just did tint only. Living in Ohio its not been a huge deal breaker for me, but Texas is a completely different story.

18. Jan 1, 2021 at 6:47 PM
    Flyer

Flyer New Member

Member:
    I’ll go with black factory running boards. Tint- either Lumar ceramic or Huper Optik nano ceramic...my favorite.

19. Jan 1, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    OHwendTrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    I think these would look killer on your SSM. Good picture of both colors plus I really like these steps.

[​IMG]

Flyer and TaquitoBandito like this.
  20. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Noun; a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
    I’ve bought all my new toyota trucks last days in October. Got exactly what I was looking for. You should be able to get 10-15% off MSRP plus whatever Toyota has for a manufacture rebate. I’ve always done well with that formula for savings.

21. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    Just remember last, last, last when looking to get the best deal on a new car.
    Last of the month, last of the quarter, last of the year.
    Last of the year is a long way out at this point, but if you hit them the last week of March or June you'll have a good shot at getting a deal. In June they'll already be gearing up for delivery on the 22s, so you could make out like a bandit. The only thing is there may be a run on the last of the 21s so folks can get in on the V8s before they go away, or they might be giving them away if folks are waiting on the new Gen. Who knows at this point?

22. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:14 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    I did Lumar ceramic on my last windows and was happy with them. I don’t have any experience with Huper optik nano.

23. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Flyer

Flyer New Member

Member:
    which ones are these- the OEM ones? I think they have the flat board style and something like these.

24. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Those are OEM

Flyer[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jan 1, 2021 at 8:27 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    There's better options out there, unless you just like the OEM look.

26. Jan 1, 2021 at 9:01 PM
    Flyer

Flyer New Member

Member:
    I have been looking a lot. I have read of some fit issues and also bolts being too long or of low quality. All that makes me wary. I hate hassles like that with bulky items that cannot easily be returned.

27. Jan 1, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    With that OEM is a guarantee. I see these and the predator steps on CL, FBM and LGo for $300-400

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Flyer[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jan 1, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    CPA_RockStar

CPA_RockStar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey CrewMax 4x4, TSS
    Magnum Raptor RT Steps $25 steel wheels, LOL - while waiting for suspension that can support new wheels and tires SR5 with all black emblems
    Honda used to have some of the most reliable cars on ConsumerReports until they started messing with it. Their 1.5L turbo engine was a disaster. Crap that they did to make the car lighter, just made things break easier and several Honda models have gotten bad reliability ratings in the last few years. I had 4 out of 5 cars in my household as Honda's and bought certain years to stay away from the recent models that sucked. I've now got 3 out of 5 are Toyotas with just my kids driving old Honda's until they deserve newer cars. I just hope the new tundra doesn't go down the path that Honda did. Glad I bought my 2021 Tundra and can ride it for the next 10+ years if I need to!

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  29. Jan 7, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    OHwendTrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
  30. Jan 7, 2021 at 9:33 AM