1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New To Trucks/Leveling Kit Advice

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Sully32, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Apr 27, 2021 at 2:26 PM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2007 Tundra Double Cab Limited, and I am looking to level it out. I am new to trucks in general, but I have my fair share of experience working on cars and motorcycles.

I have searched and all the options just somehow seem overly complicated for what I'm thinking (Which I'm probably way wrong about). The rear wheel arches are about 3.75" higher than the front wheel arches. Can leveling the truck out be achieved by simply adding a 3" leveling kit to the front and getting an alignment? I'm not looking to run any crazy wheels or anything. I just want the truck to look more symmetrical.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Apr 27, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    3.75" sounds like there's already a lift in the rear, whether that's block or shackle. 2" rake is normal front to back. If there's nothing lifting the rear (look between the axle and the leaf pack or at the rear attachment point of the leaf packs - https://shop-coachbuilder.myshopify...ilder-3-shackles-provides-1-75-of-actual-lift - there is a picture in there comparing the aftermarket shackle to stock one, and it does 1.75" of lift which would explain the 3.75" difference if they're in there) then there's something else going on in the front end of the truck. 3.75" lines up too well with those shackles though so that's what I figure is going on.

A 3" lift on the front will likely work well in terms of looks (only 0.75" of rake left), but you're pushing the limits with regards to driveline angles and upper control arm adjustments and can cause higher than normal component wear. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of doing that lift to maintain component wear it's going to start costing much more.

So do you want a lifted truck (both front and rear lifted from stock, front more than rear) or just a levelled (rear stock height, front slightly lifted) truck? Once you decide between those then we can point you to the options for each.

3. Apr 27, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't even consider the rear being lifted. I was told nothing about that. I just got under the truck and that is the case. There is an air lift system on the rear.

I wanted to just level the front end to stock rear ride height, but I guess since the rear is already lifted I will have to consider my options for the front.

What options for the front would be reasonable to keep this setup in the rear? If it doesn't get completely level that is fine. The massive rake has to go though.

Thanks again!

4. Apr 27, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    There should be a way to take pressure out of the air bags to lower the back end down some, it would all depend on what the installer did so you'll just have to follow the air lines to find where they come out. Then check online for your type of bags to see what the minimum pressure is and set them to that. Only need to raise the pressure when you put weight in the back/on the hitch to take away the squat.

Hopefully they can go down for you, because it can be quite a rabbit hole to go down to level up 3+" - you're looking at new upper control arms, diff drop, block lift, new bump stops at minimum and very likely new tires as stock size would look very small. https://www.tdotperformance.ca/tuff-country-54075kh-lift-kit-suspension-complete-kit-4-in.html That's an example of most of the parts needed, you won't need the rear stuff so may be able to piece it together cheaper than buying a full truck kit.

Now if they can go down and you just want to level the front end it can be done 2 different ways, both just one piece - block lift or new shocks. It is much, much cheaper to go this way so I'd be doing whatever I can to take the rear end down - even taking out the bags if you don't need them to remove squat when hauling heavy loads.

5. Apr 29, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the advice. I checked the bags, and they only have 10psi in them. I will drop it to 5psi. I'm not sure it will make much of a difference though.

Do you think leaving this setup in the rear and just doing a 2" kit in the front with a diff drop would be alright? It would still have rake, but far less than it does now.

6. Apr 29, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    The most cost effective way to level would be to remove the air bags, sale them on here and order 2" front spacers. Note, spacer will change your ride quality.

7. Apr 29, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    2" on the front you won't need a diff drop, you can do that either with a spacer or with adjustable shocks (Bilstein 5100's as an example). I did the shocks, it's slightly more expensive; $230 + installation IIRC; but ride quality isn't affected at all.

Doing that and leaving the bags in would give you a 2" lift both front and back so will look fairly normal. The tires will look a tad bit small in the wheel wells then, but that can be fixed next time you need new tires.

8. May 4, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks again for the advice! I am having a 2" leveling kit installed in the front this weekend. The bags are sitting at 5psi right now. If it looks ok when the front is done I'll just leave it as is. If I still don't like it then I will remove the bags. Bigger tires will definitely be in the future. The tires on it now only have 300 miles on them unfortunately.

9. May 4, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I leveled my 2007 RCSB by lowering the bed 3.25", the truck sits almost perfectly level now.

IMG_6551.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top