1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tires/Wheels - 285/70R18

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by harrisdoggy, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Nov 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    I got her talked into, so no need to melt them down. I'm going to put them back on the 13 trd wheels and put them on Craigslist.

joonbug likes this.
  2. Nov 5, 2016 at 11:47 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    That would be fun though, pour a little antifreeze on them and make a nice cloud. I used to do that, oil makes for a really nice burnout, lol.

harrisdoggy[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 5, 2016 at 12:48 PM
    harrisdoggy

harrisdoggy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra CrewMax SR5
    I didn't notice but it wasn't close enough for me to pay attention either, sorry. The 275's cleared the mud flap easily, which is mounted to the frame area (I think), so I suspect there wouldn't be any issues from that perspective. I went with Discount as well ($265/tire + rebate thing of like $50) because you can always return/exchange the tires if they don't meet your expectations.

4. Nov 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    Just to clarify all you did to the suspension is 5100s up front? Nothing going on in the rear? This is exactly my plan so I'm glad it looks good!

5. Nov 7, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Yes - all I did was the Bilstein 5100's upfront. I didn't touch anything in the back. I have them on the middle setting, which still has a slight rake, but it's harder to notice with the bigger tires and custom wheels for some reason. I get some very minor rubbing on the front part of the front fender (where the small mud flap thing was removed) when the steering wheel is turned just right, but I think after a little wear on the tires and it will no longer rub. It seems to be more noticeable when in reverse, and maybe it's because I have the color-match end caps, not sure. I think if I went to the top setting up front it would avoid any rubbing, but I wanted a slight rake for towing the boat and such.

6. Nov 8, 2016 at 8:22 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Ordered mine this morning, can't wait to get them on the truck! Thanks for posting, I might have wound up with wimpy 275's if you hadn't.

7. Nov 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    No problem - post a pic when you get them on!

8. Nov 8, 2016 at 9:13 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Will do, probably won't get them on till next week. Unless they ship super fast. A week is going to feel like forever!

9. Nov 8, 2016 at 10:04 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Haha...I know what you mean. What are you doing for a spare? I'm trying to figure that out. Would rather not drop another $250 if I don't have to........

10. Nov 9, 2016 at 5:19 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    I'm not sure either. There are some guys that get it matched spare wheel and tire and do it five way rotation. So then you've got the cost of another wheel to. For now I'm not going to worry about it. Just don't get a flat.

11. Nov 9, 2016 at 2:19 PM
    KCTundra

KCTundra -Caeleb

Member:
    First Name:
    Caeleb
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax Platinum
    3/2 Ready Lift, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 20x10 Fuel Assault Wheels (-18 offset / 4.75" backspace), BAM Budget Exhaust
    Great looking truck.

12. Nov 9, 2016 at 6:37 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Main drawback is the mileage with these tires. I lost at least 3 mpg's from stock. A bit more than I thought, but I suppose it's worth it. :)

13. Nov 9, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lam
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    '16 Limited CM 5.7L 4x4, '15 GX460 premium
    Nonononono....you almost shattered you dream....almost .

Did you factor in the larger diameter for the ires?

14. Nov 9, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I just did a manual calculation to figure it out, but it's not that far off from the computer/dash display.

15. Nov 9, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    What is your mpg now? Did your truck come with the 275/65/18 or the smaller ones? Now your making me wonder if I'm making a mistake. My lead foot dropped my mpg from 16.5 to 14.

16. Nov 9, 2016 at 9:21 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    The stock tires were 275/65/18 and I was getting around 16.5. When I was running 275/70R18 tires I was getting around 15.6. With these tires I am at like 12.8. Not sure if I am driving differently (maybe the more aggressive look makes me drive more aggressively too) or if it's just the tires. I haven't done much highway driving however, been almost all surface street driving to and from work. I figured the mpg's would drop, just didn't think it would be quite that much. I've only had them for a week, so the sample size isn't that large. I will update if that changes after I drive a little more on them.

17. Nov 9, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Sounds like I'll probably be getting about the same as you. Of course, I live in the foothills above denver. So I'm going up some pretty steep grades alot. I'll have to lighten up on the gas pedal a bit, already put a deposit on them . too late now, they're on the way. Besides, my boss pays for my gas and I'll be back in a company truck during the week by the time I get the meats on.

18. Dec 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Had the tires for about 1k miles now (Nitto Exo Grappler). I have generally just ridden stock on most all of my other vehicles, and I am definitely no connoisseur of tires, but I really like them thus far. We've had some snow and they ride excellent in the snow/slush. Other than the fact that my mileage is now down to around 13, they're really good. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another set at all.

PermaFrostTRD likes this.
  19. Dec 9, 2016 at 1:36 PM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lam
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    '16 Limited CM 5.7L 4x4, '15 GX460 premium
    Did you factor in the size differences (about 5%)? Also, winter gas suck. I was average 15.4-16.0 mpg but now it is in the mid 14 mpg range.

PermaFrostTRD likes this.
  20. Dec 9, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Yeah - that was my calculation, not the computer. Hoping it gets better, somehow......

21. Dec 11, 2016 at 8:16 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    I got them on the truck a few weeks ago, but have only driven it a couple hundred miles so far. They don't seem loud to me at all. Very good ride so far, haven't been in any real snow yet. I trimmed the skid plate and took a heat gun and a 2x4 and stretched out the front inner fender liners. Still need to stretch the pass side a little. Otherwise no issues with the stock wheels. They totally change the way my truck looks, perfect! Thanks Josh, excellent choice.

22. Feb 22, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    @harrisdoggy how are the Exo's holding up now that you've had them for a few months? Do you still have the rub on the front portion of the inner fender? Mpg's still around 13? This is one the sizes/tires I'm still considering so appreciate any info you can share. Thanks.

23. Feb 22, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Mine weren't rubbing, it's just the trac being thrown off by the larger size. Weird, since lots of guys are running 35's even 37's, less offset, spacers with no issues. Have you had any issues with the trac on yours Josh?

24. Feb 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    @757TUNDRA - really like the tires thus far. Been excellent on the snow, and we've had a pretty harsh winter. Yeah, I still have the rub on the inside portion of the front bumper where the front mud flap thing is. It's only in reverse when the wheel is close to full lock. Perhaps that is because I replaced the end caps with the body color match. Maybe that wouldn't happen with a chrome bumper. Not sure when/if that will stop. Mileage is still not great, but I suppose anything that looks good is expensive. Bottom line - I really like the tires (would seriously consider this tire in any size) and I like the look of the size, but they do still rub a little on the front bumper.

757TUNDRA[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Feb 22, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    @Joeshaker - what do you mean by the trac? Could it have something to do with the fact that I don't have a chrome bumper and replaced the end caps with body color match? They only seem to rub when in reverse.

26. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    The traction control, mine goes off when it doesn't need to. Just turned in the same amount turning either way. Especially when going downhill between 25 and 35 mph. When the trac kicks in it sounds like a nasty rub on the front inner fender liners, but it's not. Had my local independent Toyota tech ride with me with techstream linked up. It looks like it's because going through corners the wheel speed difference is outside of the parameters, so the computer thinks the truck is going out of control. He hasn't had time to look at all the data. Tire pressure makes a big difference. At 32 psi it's not bad. At 35 psi and above its pretty annoying. Apparently some guys have problems with no lift. Just the e rated tires can confuse the trac. What pressure are you running on yours?

27. Feb 22, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    That is a good thought. I'll pay more attention. I can see that the tire barely rubs at full lock, but it sounds louder inside than what it looks like it should. Would it be the trac if it's when in reverse? Not sure on tire pressure, just whatever the boys at Discount left it at when they put everything on. Do you think I should see what happens at 32-33 (pending I'm at around 35 now) to see if that helps? Wonder if is in indeed rubbing what tire pressure might help that. Thanks.

28. Feb 22, 2017 at 10:00 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    No, I don't think reverse would set off the trac, unless you're spinning doughnuts. I have been trying to find where my tires are rubbing since I got them, but no sign of it and no change when I increased the clearance in the front. I even pulled the bumper forward. You've got your wheels offset farther out, right? That makes yours more prone to rubbing because of the increased scrub radius. Watch for the trac light coming on when you hear the rubbing. Trac sounds and feels just like a nasty rub! I'm not to keen on running my tires at lower pressure and haven't driven it enough to advise you to drop the pressure on yours. I did that to try to get a handle on what's going on.

29. Feb 23, 2017 at 3:33 AM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    @harrisdoggy thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

@Joeshaker a couple of local tire stores were trying to talk me out of BFG KO2s because of the issues you're having with Trac so the Exo's looked like a good option, especially since they come in a 285 70. 4WheelParts said nearly every set they put on a Tundra causes Trac issues.

@Marty McFly I know you're also running 285 70s ... have you encountered any issues with your tires setting off Trac? Thanks.

30. Feb 23, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    harrisdoggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    @Joeshaker @757TUNDRA - I don't think it's the trac causing it, I haven't noticed the light come on when I hear the sound. It seems to be from the driver side only as I look at it again, the passenger side doesn't seem to have the issue. Here are a couple pics of the driver side with the wheel turned just right. Perhaps if i had gone to the top setting on the 5100's I wouldn't have this issue. Anywho, it's minor enough I haven't done anything about it and is most noticeable when in reverse. Yes, these wheels have more of an offset than stock, though not as much as others. Not sure exactly, think maybe +25.TireFront1.jpg
    TireFront2.jpg
    Sorry - for some reason the pics rotated 90 degrees when I uploaded them, not sure why.........

Products Discussed in

To Top