1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tacoma or new tundra ?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 04trd, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Nov 3, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Its all a compromise based on your priority list. Only you can weigh what is most important to you. If that happens to be MPG then a Tundra may not be for you. Personally I'd trade a few MPG for the room, power, comfort and confidence of the Tundra in a heart beat. Oh wait, I already did :)

I would not for a second consider buying a truck that I was afraid to drive in the snow, no matter how many MPG it got.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  2. Nov 4, 2015 at 5:18 AM
    Jarheaddre

Jarheaddre New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra Limited
    Thanks. . . .

3. Nov 4, 2015 at 5:34 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    If you keep your truck stock and drive very gently, you could milk quite a bit of mpg. I've gotten as high as 21+ mpg (5.7, 4x4, CM). There's a moderator on one of the truck forums who has gotten 22+. But then driving becomes no fun. But even driving normally, I got 18.5 when I took a trip to Maryland through PA mountains. Your truck computer learns your style of driving and optimizes for that. It seems to take a couple of weeks to fully optimize to your style. (If my wife drives it, I noticed that the truck responds differently. She's a more aggressive driver).

Of course, then I wanted to bring the mpg down to normal, so I got a lift and heavy a$$ tires. haha.

Don't buy other brand trucks for the mpg (unless you are gullible enough to trust their advertised numbers). Talking to other truck owners, it's clear their mpg is no better than Tundra. If you are worried about your mpg, get a smaller car. My sister's Prius gets 50+, and it's surprisingly roomy.

4. Nov 4, 2015 at 6:32 AM
    Jarheaddre

Jarheaddre New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra Limited
    chphilo,
    Thanks for your reply and insight. The truck I am considering is the F150/Eco-boost/3.5L, They do pretty well, 15/16 and 22 hwy. Plus they have a similar tow capacity as the Tundra and more if properly equipped. That's my dillema as I want to be able to tow close to 10K and still have the economy when not towing. . . Oh, and the Prius just aint gonna work. . . .
    DRE
    p.s. Your Tundra looks beautiful, enjoy! Show-off. . . .

chphilo[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 7, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Retired Adult Film Sound Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2
    It's not "good" but it's pretty spot on consistent with EPA ratings. I don't see tooooo much of a difference in average MPG between my 2013 and the 2009 Taco I had. I could do better on the highway with the Taco by a couple. Otherwise not a huge difference overall. I was usually around 15 combined in the Taco and do around 14 or so. 17-18 on the highway. Actually saw 20mpg for a tank driving through NC last summer. Was a little surprised by that.

6. Nov 13, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    crappie man

crappie man New Member

Member:
    3 mpg is it . test drove for 120 moles the new taco thinking id trade my 15 crew 4x4 tss tundra. I put on 30k plus a year 80% hyw. I get 16 compared to I got 19.2 in the 16 taco we ran for 120 miles. That said comfort is night and day. Room is night and day. Thought small would be great but not after 120 miles it wasn't near as nice but I did like it a lot. Seats do not raise which stinks. I figured on 30k miles a year it is 300 gallons more fuel. At 2.50 a gallon which now it is 1.90 but we all know we will be back over 3.00 or more at some point. But at 2.50 that is $750 a year or $14 a week. Most people don't run as many miles so at 14 ill take the tundra. As stated the new fords and chevys say they get a lot better but friends have them and they get about 18 so only 2 better than me

7. Nov 13, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO. That last two trips I took to the mountains where I have access to my friends property, I averaged 14.5 which is not bad with my tires, etc. It is about a 1 hour drive from my house. Staring at approx 5400 ft and freeway to Golden (I-70) and up Clear Creek to Black Hawk/Central City which is all highway. Black Hack is a little over 8000 ft. After Black Hawk I go up Apex Valley Rd which is still a very gradual climb. Once I get to the old mining town of Apex the road up to my friends property is very steep and four wheel is needed now. His property is at 10600 ft. Round trip is about 110 miles. 14.5 mpg is not bad considering the altitude combined with 4 wheel drive. Freeway speeds from 55 to 65. I'm sure I could get way better mpg in Laredo, TX for example. A lot of guys here post their mpg here. Anywhere from sucking to 22 mpg. I suggest any further mpg posts should include your location, altitude, tires, towing?, engine mods, plains, mts, mixed, and anything else I left out. This is always going to be an interesting topic here for sure.

A little history: http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/apex.html

8. Nov 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    completely agreed.
    those numbers are generated in perfect conditions and don't really apply to real world use anyway. shit... they don't even account for the fuel usage on the 3 or more trips that ford and chevy owners make to the dealership annually to get their constant dash lights and drivetrain issues resolved :p

9. Nov 15, 2015 at 3:55 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    My wife and I were looking at large vehicles to replace our Sienna (our second son, the only football player in the family, is going to be too big for minivan pretty soon). We liked the price of Ford Expedition, but when we learned that you could only get Eco-Boost engine in it, we immediately ruled it out. I simply read too many negative threads on Ford forums regarding the Eco-Boost problems.

10. Nov 15, 2015 at 4:59 AM
    Virgils12

Virgils12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Camburg Fox factory 2.5" lift Xd monsters with 295/70/18 nitto terra graplerrs Corsa cat back Weather tech liners Wet okole covers
    The ford will not get anywhere close to the claimed 22mpg if you drive it over 55 mph or pull that much. Been around a couple including a 430 mile trip to Nashville and running 75+ was lucky to get 15mpg. Cousin just bought one 3 months ago to pull her camper. Less than 6k pounds and can't get better than 13..... Just saying

11. Nov 15, 2015 at 5:54 AM
    George14

George14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 Dc TRD Off Road 5.7L with tow package
    None
    Got 18.5 with cruse set

Products Discussed in