1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New shocks for 2023 Tundra TRD Off-Road with 6 inch lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by WhiteDevil1978, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Apr 29, 2024 at 10:49 PM
    WhiteDevil1978

WhiteDevil1978 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Tomorrow I get my truck back with a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. The shocks that come with the lift are nowhere near as good as the Bilstein shocks that came on the truck, so I am looking to replace the rear shocks with something capable of staying cooler under duress, aka external reservoir. What are my best options and how do you even buy shocks for a 6 inch lifted truck?! I don't need the absolute best, but I do want something that is better than even the shocks and coils that came on the truck. Fox 2.5 series is something I am interested in, but it goes back to "Which ones fit my truck?" I am also interested in the aesthetic appeal. Thanks everyone. Open to all suggestions.

2. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:58 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Why install a new lifted suspension if one of the major components (shocks) is insufficient? Sure is costly to buy and install a suspension lift only to then immediately start replacing those new suspension parts.

Clearly you have a bracket lift since it is that high, you need to give more info on the lift- manufacturer, part number, etc so folks know what might work.

Or, call the lift manufacturer and see what they might recommend for upgraded shocks.

3. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:49 AM
    WhiteDevil1978

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    The kit comes as such..... an entire kit. It is the Superlift #1026. I got the entire kit for $1250.00 brand new, whereas it normally sells for $1600.00. I've been watching it ever since it was released and never saw it even close to $1250.00, so I jumped while the jumping was good

4. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Assuming that the shocks that came with the kit have appropriate compressed and extended values to allow for timely bumpstop engagement and decent downward travel... You theoretically could pull the values from those shocks and find something comparable to go in their place.

5. Apr 30, 2024 at 8:00 AM
    WhiteDevil1978

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    That is along the lines of the answer I was looking for..... just a way to make sure they match the lift. Superlift has a good reputation for good lift kits, so I'm sure that the supplied shocks have been tuned for the specific lift. Thank you!

6. Apr 30, 2024 at 9:40 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    It would appear that 4 inches of lift come from the drop brackets in that and the other 2 inches come from the springs/coilovers. So any shock that is designed for 2-2.5 lift should work fine. I assume you are keeping the kits coil springs and just want shocks, or are you wanting full coilovers, springs and all?

shock valving varies by design and price, digressive, linear, etc and I would think you would want the same type of shocks all around vs just replacing the fronts, unless they are valved the same. I am pretty confident based on that lift kit pricing, the shocks that came with it are digressive valving.

7. Apr 30, 2024 at 1:44 PM
    WhiteDevil1978

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    That kit only comes with rear shocks. The front shocks remain the factory Bilstein shocks.

Products Discussed in

To Top