1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Real Truck BAK Revolver X4TS

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by vmkeith, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Feb 28, 2024 at 1:42 PM
    vmkeith

vmkeith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Clark County, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2014 Super White Tundra SR5 CrewMax 4x4
    SantanaRealtruck likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2024 at 2:01 PM
    SD Surfer

SD Surfer Globe Trotting Bon Vivant

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 SSM CM SR5 TRD OR 4X4 5.7
    T-Slots are a nice feature!

Love my Elevate racks (Like in the video)

I personally have never understood the appeal of a roll-up tonneau... kinda' seems like a pain. But I've never really used one so maybe it's not so bad.

20230316_184309.jpg

20230708_090704.jpg

3. Feb 28, 2024 at 2:07 PM
    vmkeith

vmkeith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Clark County, Wa
    Vehicle:
    That's a nice looking setup. Curious how far below the cab the Elevate Rack sits when in the lowest (18") position.

I've looking at the BAK M4X with the Elevate Rack System, but I don't like the fact that there isn't enough clearance to open the tonneau cover with the rack in the lowest position. I have clearance issues to consider due to a parking garage at work, so the option for a roll up with integrated t-slot rails is very appealing and with a cover and a rack a retractable cover would put me outside my budget.

4. Feb 28, 2024 at 2:25 PM
    SD Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I'm super happy with it. (I just posted in your other thread too, btw)

So when I bought my racks they only had a High and a Low setting. The Low does me no good since I need it for surfboards and SUP's to extend over the cab.

The high setting just looks goofy to me, and I wanted it to be as low as possible to get the cab clearance I need, so I drilled my own new set of "Medium" holes that you see pictured.
    I think they now come with holes for Low/Med/High.

I can measure later if you'd like, but rough guess is that the low setting is probably roughly the same amount below the cab line as my medium setting is above the cab line.

It would be good for a RTT or something like that, but not useful for my needs.

The one tradeoff with where I chose to drill my holes is that I can't fold the forward panel to ride up against the cab, it doesn't clear the crossbar. I can fold it UP, jsut not up forward against the cab which I don't really want to do anyway.
    I wanted them low, and I didn't care for the loss of vision when I did drive with it folded against the cab.
    If I need FULL bed access, I'll just take the 5 minutes to remove the whole tonneau. (Two knobs underneath)

High setting:

20230105_110802.jpg

20230105_110818.jpg

5. Feb 28, 2024 at 2:30 PM
    vmkeith

vmkeith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Clark County, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I've seen all your posts and replies for your bed cover and rack setup. It's eye catching and the look on your ride is the reason I'm considering the Elevate Rack System. My other option is the 11" Billie Bars for t-slots...it'll work with the Elevate TS rails. But they are pricey. As for my needs, it'll be mainly for someplace to mount my fishing rod holders and occasionally hauling something that's too big for the bed. No need to go out of your way to measure your crossbar height, appreciate the offer though.

6. Feb 28, 2024 at 2:41 PM
    SD Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    It's either that or actually work :p

I just walked down and checked, the holes I drilled are 3" above the Low setting on the racks.

Near as I can tell eyeballing it, the Low setting would put the top edge of the crossbar just a smidge above the bottom edge of the 3rd brakelight lens.

If I were doing it over again, I'd probably do the exact same thing.

20240228_142739.jpg

20230107_120958.jpg

20230316_184309.jpg

7. Feb 28, 2024 at 3:49 PM
    vmkeith

vmkeith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Clark County, Wa
    Vehicle:
    I fully support avoiding actual work :D and very much appreciate it...works perfectly for my needs.

SD Surfer[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 27, 2024 at 11:36 AM
    207Angler

207Angler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Nighthshade Edition

I just ordered mine on Monday from RealTruck. Hopefully it shows up soon, I was told there was a 20 day lead time. For some reason it no longer shows up on their website. Not sure what that is all about.

9. Apr 1, 2024 at 9:34 AM
    vmkeith

vmkeith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Clark County, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Shows on the Real Truck website again. Not surprised by the lead time, the new X4TS was just released on 25 March.

10. Apr 1, 2024 at 6:35 PM
    207Angler

207Angler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Nighthshade Edition
    Believe it or not, the cover was delivered today. Going to install it tomorrow. Will report back with pictures and initial impressions.

vmkeith[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 3, 2024 at 6:58 PM
    207Angler

207Angler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Nighthshade Edition
    After opening up the kit and starting in on the install, I discovered the clamping brackets that hold on the rails were not lining up with the holes in the bed very well. It also looked like there was a considerable gap in between the bed and mounting surface of the bracket. I then noticed there was a label inside the bag of brackets that said "Tundra 22 23". Thinking I was shipped parts for a 22-23 Tundra. Not pleased to say the least, especially with how much money I just spent. I reached out to realtruck customer support, we'll see how well they solve the problem. IMG_9584.jpg

12. Apr 12, 2024 at 7:35 PM
    207Angler

207Angler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Nighthshade Edition
    Long story short I would avoid this tonneau cover. I have had nothing but issues getting it installed (incorrect hardware, instructions were wrong) the T-slot seems very weak and poorly designed. Overall quality is very disappointing. I guess I should have waited till it had been on the market longer with more reviews. The sales rep also at realtruck told me it would work with the Yakima overhaul HD rack, it clearly doesn’t work after trying to install it.

13. Apr 13, 2024 at 6:13 AM
    vmkeith

vmkeith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Clark County, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Damn, that sucks. Did you order through an actual sales rep or just order from online? Through a sales rep they guarantee fitment, might be able to do a return and get a refund.

14. Apr 13, 2024 at 8:44 AM
    207Angler

207Angler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Nighthshade Edition
    It was a sales rep I spoke with via there online chat that said it would work with the yakima overhaul HD. I was able to get the cover installed by deviating from the installation instructions slightly and using longer mounting hardware. In the end I will probably end up keeping the cover and making some adapter brackets so I can mount the yakima rack. Just frustrating that I have to spend more time/money to make this work. One option would be to return the cover and go with a retrax or pace edwards retractable cover. The only issue with those is they take up bed space which is not ideal when you already have a short bed. The other option would be to go with the elevate rack instead of the yakima rack.

15. Apr 13, 2024 at 9:08 AM
    vmkeith

vmkeith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Clark County, Wa
    Vehicle:
    I looked at both the Yakima Rack and the Elevate Rack. For my intended use, I went with the Elevate Rack system paired with a TruXedo Pro X15 soft roll up cover. Fitment wasn't perfect, but I didn't have to modify anything and I'm happy with everything.
    Truck5.jpg

16. Apr 20, 2024 at 1:22 PM
    SantanaRealtruck

SantanaRealtruck New Member Vendor

Member:
    I'm sorry to hear about your tonneau cover experience and how your rack didn't work with it. The Yakima OverHaul HD rack is compatible with T-slot rails when you add the Yakima tonneau adapter kit that's sold separately. If you have any questions about this product or need further assistance, feel free to PM me. You can also email me at forums@realtruck.com.

Products Discussed in

To Top