1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by triharder, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jul 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    triharder

triharder [OP] Sorry, Not Sorry

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Billstein 6112/5160's, coachbuilder spacer on driver side/ 20" rockstar wheels/ 33" nitto ridge grappers/SS Brake lines (or as most people write Break), Painted Calipers/Powercoated Tow hooks/pocket flairs/heated seats,bed leds/line-x liner/xtang trifold/tow mirrors/Stereo Work/Compustar Remote Starter/ retrofit Morimoto Minin H1 and switch back LEDs/ plenty I'm forgetting
    So new development with the 2010 4wd. When i approach a stop or leave from a stop in "D" the truck almost feels like the brakes are sticking. Not noticeable with the truck in neutral.

Brakes don't seem to do it if you are on a hill and don't touch the gas. Also seems to not happen in morning or on the dirt driveway (granted the driveway is short). (less traffic to work then home from 35 miles)

I greased the u-joints last night. been neglecting to (last grease was at 90k, and i'm at 125k now). Replaced rear dif fluid last oil changed 1k miles ago (about a month)

replaced trans fluid at 90k and filter.
    replaced brakes (pads and rotors) at 115K, rebuilt rear calipers with new seals just because,

So, I'll test again tonight but would this be a u-joint problem? I didn't feel any looseness when i was greasing but I don't think i necesarrily would .

I do get vibrations on highway at certain speeds, but only around 57mph goes away faster or slower, and felt in steering wheel not floor boards.

Haven't noticed any bearing screaming noises, whining is constant but i believe from 305/55/20 ridge grapplers, not horrible but there.

Anybody want to throw out some ideas.

Doesn't do it if you don't come to a complete stop.
    Not thinking its the brakes as in neutral on a hill i don't notice it happening.

Thanks guys for anything you can think off. (it will be a while before i can troubleshoot as this is an annoyance more than a fix it immediately issue.

Was thinking driveshaft but not sure how long they typically last on the tundras (last truck (ford) had squealing at slow speed which was the u-joints).

2. Jul 11, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Oh my.

If the transmission is trying to be in "two gears" at the same time it will duplicate your issue.

Try this: everytime you come to a complete stop, shift it into neutral, then back into D.

See if there's a change.

3. Jul 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    rebmo

rebmo 2020 Crewmax Limited 4wd Silver/Black

Member:
    Rural SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2020 CM LImited 5.7L V8 4WD
    Check sticking parking brake mechanism under driver side rear seat.

4. Jul 12, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Billstein 6112/5160's, coachbuilder spacer on driver side/ 20" rockstar wheels/ 33" nitto ridge grappers/SS Brake lines (or as most people write Break), Painted Calipers/Powercoated Tow hooks/pocket flairs/heated seats,bed leds/line-x liner/xtang trifold/tow mirrors/Stereo Work/Compustar Remote Starter/ retrofit Morimoto Minin H1 and switch back LEDs/ plenty I'm forgetting
    So i don't typically use the parking brake, Had some trouble with it after the rotor replacement (it engages last tooth when you press it down). i've since found a write up on the proper way to adjust it I just haven't had a chance (or made time) to do it.

That being said its not sticking as I only use it once ina while (think every 6 months) just to cycle the mechanism. I did use it the other day jus because, perhaps with it adjusted wrong its sticking?

My adjustment method of pulling wheel , adjusting barrel reinstalling wheel until it dragged did not make the parking brake catch any sooner and when i was done it was not better off.

The ride home yesterday I didn't feel the same senstation, however it was raining so its not a good time to test,

I will try the "D" to "N" and back suggestion.
    as it didn't stick in just "N" i'm not sure what two gears the transmission would be stuck in.

Truck has always shifted funny between 1st and 2nd gear unless you hammer on it. (seems to hunt and i haven't done a zero-point cal since replacing level blocks with 6112 shocks.) That sensation hasn't changed for the better or worse with this new issue.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
    I was thinking line shaft bearing, just upon a quick look I didn't see anything clearly wrong with it. I'll have to inspect again with a mirror and flashlight.

5. Jul 12, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    rebmo

Member:
    Rural SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    If the parking brake sticks one or both of the rear wheels will get hot. If you don’t use the pb much, the mechanism can hang up and stay partially engaged when the pedal is released. It can cause shaking at certain speeds and heat due to contact when driving.

6. Jul 12, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    i felt the rear and front rotors and brake calipers for heat when i got home. and inspected for brake dust (to rule out a sticking caliper).
    funny the rears felt hotter than the fronts. (probably should adjust this as they should all be equal?)

Might be the braking brake, hopefully i can get to adjusting that anyway, would like to have it working in case i'm holding a trailer on a hill (not that it happens often but could happen)

7. Jul 12, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    rebmo

Member:
    Rural SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Make sure the mechanism under the driver side back seat is operating freely. They can get gunned up and corroded and stick and not release.

8. Jul 12, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    I checked it as in made note of it when under the truck greasing, but i'll check it while cycling the parking brake this weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top