1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New or Used? gun buying

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by TXRailRoadBandit73, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 [OP] YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Whats up fellas! Hope everyone is well...have a question to ask those who own a hand gun...would you buy a used pistol one or a brand new one ??? Wife n i took handgun class 101 for her..she wants to get her chl as do i.. lately been looking over the web at gun sites especially texasguntrader.com and gunbroker.com few i like... but what do you look for when getting a used one??? Im all new to this or jus pay full price for a new one??? Any info greatly appreciated

ColoradoTJ and NewImprovedRon like this.
  2. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    My first handgun I wanted new. So I rented a bunch of different brands and calibers until I knew which one I wanted. Then bought it new. Have bought a few more new and used since but my first is still my favorite and am glad it hasn't been groped by a bunch of different people.

3. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    As long as it's been properly tested and cleaned, I don't think it really matters.

BUT the first one, I'd want to be new....just me though LOL Just be sure you know which one fits you. Like @buttmonkey said, rent a bunch of different ones and calibers to see which works and feels best for you and the missus.

Good luck buddy!

4. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I have never had an issue with used guns.

Like others have said, rent all the guns you can afford. Look for weapons you shoot well, reliable (and have a reputation for it), easy to field strip. Those three items will drop a lot of choices right from the get go.

I also like NATO rounds.

5. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    I'm not gonna get into WHICH gun you should buy, but if you're not familiar with firearms, or don't have a close trusted friend who is...i'd absolutely buy new first

As you gain experience with how they work and what to look for on a used gun, then as you add to your collection you can skip the gun shops and buy used

Law323 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  6. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Thanks for that. Brands of guns are like pants. They have to fit the owner.

7. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    Agreed

I love my various pistols but what good does that do a new shooter over the internet? I can tell you that pistols will not stay in my safe if they aren't reliable...sooo....7/10 of my pistols are Glocks...but I also realize Glocks ain't for everyone

stefan702, JH5370, Noodle and 2 others like this.
  8. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Glocks are not my first choice, but guess what brand my daily carry is? G19.

MotoTundra, Patriot, Noodle and 2 others like this.
  9. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    khunk

khunk Tundra Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Leland, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM Limited 4x4
    I would buy new unless you knew the history of and who you were buying a gun from. I would also highly recommend that you do what @joonbug says as well about renting and checking out as many as you can. Most gun ranges have rentals as well as ammo for them. I would be more likely to buy a used revolver than an automatic, (less moving parts & less chance that somthing can go wrong). Lots of choices out there, but what will be the main use for this weapon? If you want to Conceal Carry, need to think about size and how you will carry, do you want full size or compact, almost as much fun as shopping for a trucko_O

10. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:07 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    I would be a little bit weary of buying used at first....now this is not to say used guns are bad but sometimes just like with vehicles you never know what your getting into with a used one. My first handgun was a Kimber Custom 2 and it was used. I love that pistol. To this day its still the one i shoot the best. To try and shorten this post to less then a novel since the Kimber i have purchased some new pistols as well. Both Sigs one a P226 MK25 and a P938. About a year and a half ago I started having problems with my Kimber and extracting the casings. I read more 1911 forums then threads i have read on here and did just about everything recommended. I ordered a new spring, tore the firing block apart and nothing seemed to help for more then about 5 rounds.

Now for the important part of what you should look at with used guns.....After about a year I finally decided to call Kimber directly. Gave them the serial number and told them i bought it used. The lady told me the gun was made in 2006 and had never been registered or returned for any type of work. This phone call happened last Aug. Since the time it was made Kimber changed from an internal extractor to an external or the other way around... I can't remember which way it goes and that part isn't too important what is important is that they paid for me to return them the pistol and said they would fix it. About a month later I got a call and she said it was done. They built a brand new slide, cleaned the entire pistol and test fired it and everything was good and she was letting me know they were shipping it back to me and all for $0. So a pistol that was almost 11 years out of warranty was getting fixed because they stand behind their products.

Moral of the story look at the manufacturer of the firearms you like and see what their history is of standing behind their products.
    Good luck with the search!!

11. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Glad your experience with Kimber was better than mine. I will never own another one in my life.

12. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    I owned a Kimber Ultra Tactical II

Never really had any issues out of it other than your typical 3" 1911 feeding issues

Paid $500 used for it, sold it a few years later for $850

13. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:17 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Never had a kimber.

Thinking of getting a S&W 45ACP for my daily carry.

Gonna have to see how glocks feel though. I'm a fan of reliability.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  14. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    I really need to re-add a 45 to my arsenal

I've owned 3...sold 2 1911s...had and foolishly sold an FNX45T...want it back but can't justify the $1k price tag

zcarpenter92, Law323 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  15. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Got a 9 and a 22 for the doc. Really want to add a 45....

Nah I wouldn't want to pony up a grand either!

16. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    Slide going all the way forward? Wife has a Kimber Micro that had that issue...may still have it. We have only shot it once and i was going to chalk that up to missing some assembly lube somewhere.

17. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:26 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    no, it just would bind up feeding rounds into the chamber...seemed to be only on defensive rounds and I attributed it to the steep feed ramp of the 3" barrel

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  18. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    Don't worry about buying used. Look for a shiny bore with good rifling and function test before you buy. Don't be afraid to ask questions of the buyer.

I absolutely as gree with others that you should try as many options as possible out before committing. Don't buy something because it looks pretty.

That all being said, the CZ P-01 can be found used for ~$500, is pretty, and ultra reliable. Try one before you make a decision. ;)

Noodle likes this.
  19. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Same issue with my Pro TLE/RL 4" barrel

JimBeam[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    Pvarela07

Pvarela07 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD Off-road 4x4
    Just getting started
    Agree with all the comments, go shoot as many different calibers and brands as you can to find out what feels right.

I would not have issues buying a used gun as long as it's a reputable dealer or somebody I know that takes care of their guns.

Check out www.budsgunshop.com they have good selection of new and used and really good prices.

21. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN IG: @rocketmanmtb

Member:
    NGAMTNS
    Vehicle:
    '17 TUNDRA TRD PRO CEMENT ‘15 TUNDRA SR-5 WHITE
    I'm guessing they will serve as your ccw's

My guess is also the price point will be less than $600 each

At some point saving a $100 bucks each on your edc to buy used becomes a bad trade off.

Lots of monkey home guns smiths.

Sounds like your focus should be on selecting the "right" gun for you both.

JimBeam likes this.
  22. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    I have more guns than I do fingers and toes, some of them purchased used. I've never had an issue with buying used firearms. The gun culture in my state is one of responsibility and good nature toward fellow sportsman and hobbyists..

I'm not sure if you're referring to a private sale or a used firearm from a dealer, but so long as it passes muster in regards to being rust free, clean, and functions properly, there is a very high chance it will be a 100% reliable and satisfactory shooter. You can also often times get great deals on police trade ins that have been very well taken care of. I have firearms with round counts in the tens of thousands that still function flawlessly. A used firearm is nothing like a used car...

Good luck with your purchases, hope you find what is right for you the first try!

gosolo likes this.
  23. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Hey fellas thanks to all who gave input i got lots of research to do as well as wife our chl class next week we will be hitting the ranges to test what we like n feels good in hands once again thanks to all!!! :thumbsup:

24. Apr 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    If you are new to guns you need to visit gun shops and rent a few guns to shoot. Hold as many as you can tell you find what you think you like. Ask questions Learn about the differences. In AZ most used guns are priced right at what a new gun cost.

25. Apr 27, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I have yet to ever be at a range that people will not let you test out a weapon or two of theirs. I have always let people at least put hand to weapon.

I no longer go to shooting ranges, but sounds like you have a good handle on what you and your queen need to do.

Here is a good forum if you want to see reliability....

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/

26. Apr 27, 2017 at 9:40 PM
    Noodle

Noodle That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Files creek
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD DC Inferno
    Lots of good advice so far. Like many have said go to your local range and see what fits your hand and you shoot well. I've bought several used guns over the years and have yet to get a bad one. If you're considering used google LEO trade-in Glock, SIG, H&K etc. Most LEO trade ins have been shot little to none at all I've bought some that were never even issued. I can send you some links if that interests you.

27. Apr 27, 2017 at 10:51 PM
    Noodle

Noodle That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Files creek
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD DC Inferno
  28. Apr 28, 2017 at 3:00 AM
    R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN IG: @rocketmanmtb

Member:
    NGAMTNS
    Vehicle:
    '17 TUNDRA TRD PRO CEMENT ‘15 TUNDRA SR-5 WHITE
    I'm referring to $100 bucks not governing the decision.

Most all LEO treat their firearms like crap and most are not "gun guys"

As for gun shop vs private sale, I always prefer and individual.

My thoughts were directed at the OP, an apparent first time handgun owner.

29. Apr 28, 2017 at 6:20 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Yes please on links much appreciated!

30. Apr 28, 2017 at 6:33 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member