1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New my fellow Tundra brothers help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by ODSteve, May 24, 2014.

1. May 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    ODSteve

ODSteve [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    2012 Thundra SR5 TRD CrewMax
    K&N Filter, Low Profile tool box.
    Ok I'm gonna post the picture to this truck I seen it and feel in live with it. My truck is a 2012 TRD sr5 crewmax 2x4. I found the rims.. But finding the bumper I can only find it in places for fj cruisers. I been thinking about the 3/1 lift/level kit I really want that bumper but don't know with the weight if I should just look for a lift or be fine with the 3/1. Any input will be amazing if you can find the bumper please post the list! And if you can tell from the picture maybe what lift kit he has? tajase3a_b79937ecfaa8e7b8ebdc8125ecb8fb9ae0baa39c.jpg

2. May 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    ODSteve

ODSteve [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
  3. May 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Based on the symbol on the front bumper it's made by fab fours. http://www.fabfours.com
    The lift is a 6" drop bracket from pro comp based on the symbol on the drop bracket. This can be purchased from fourwheelparts.com.

A 3" lift can work with the bumper just need one that has springs for a added bumper. Typical offroad bumpers are in the 200lb range.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    Bob likes this.
  4. May 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    ODSteve

ODSteve [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    Wow there sexy I want the look but would it be dumb in a 2x4

5. May 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    More useful if winch is added because of higher probability of getting stuck on the curb at the mall :)

mike.D1Esel, himmy33 and ODSteve[OP] like this.
  6. May 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    Tundra44

Tundra44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 CrewMax
    King shocks front and rear, Spider trax spacers on Rock Warrior rims, Demello Off-road front bumper with Tuff Stuff 12.5 winch.
    You will get very little if any "sag" by adding a winch/winch bumper if you have proper coil overs. Think of it like this: if you're a 200+ pounder, go sit on your front bumper and tell me how much sag you get. Probably will be negligible.

ODSteve[OP] likes this.
  7. May 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    himmy33

himmy33 New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    +1

8. May 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    X2.

9. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    Tundra44

Tundra44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 CrewMax
    King shocks front and rear, Spider trax spacers on Rock Warrior rims, Demello Off-road front bumper with Tuff Stuff 12.5 winch.
    The best pricing on the Fab Fours or any of the similar bumpers seems to be at bumper superstore.com. I've been shopping around and trying to decide what to get for a while. The issue I have with most of them is that they go a little over the top with cutting their logos into the bumpers. I like the plain and understated look better. The ARB fits that bill, but starts at 2K for our trucks. The Iron Cross bumpers are well built and killer price point if you go with the standard bumper with no hoops/grill guard (start at just under a grand for our trucks). My issue with them, is they cut "Iron Cross" Ito the top of the bumper and cut a giant Maltese cross into the skid plate portion. It looks a little gaudy in my opinion. I may end up getting it anyway and tabbing up some cover plates to cover those up.

10. Jul 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    You must remember one thing about bumpers make sure they are AIR BAG approved. So it doesn't screw with the air bag ecm, and you dont get a discharge of the air bag for no reason tho..

11. Jul 6, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    Tundra44

Tundra44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 CrewMax
    Actually, the bumper shouldn't affect the airbag functionality at all. The sensors are not in the bumper. I looked into it a while back because I had the same concern.

From Fab Fours: "one misconception of airbags is that they are triggered by impact to the bumper, this is not true. Actually there are sensors that activate the deployment of the airbag. Sensors are located either in the front of the vehicle in the passenger or engine compartment. Different types of sensors measuring wheel speed, seat occupant status, brake pressure and impact, and other vehicle status indicators are monitored by the airbag control unit located in the front portion of the cabin. The sensors relay signals to the airbag control unit, which analyzes the data and can orchestrate safety features like seat belt lock, automatic door locks, as well as airbag deployment."

They are taking on a lot of liability with that statement, so I'm sure the vetted it well. I know ARB had accordion mounts for their bumpers because of a concern for airbags.

12. Jul 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    I will give fab four for a nice right up, im sure they can back it up with some real world testing please. I know arb has showed in the past of their claim and I have seen proof over at tacomaworld also..

I will agree they are putting themselves up for a nice surprise one day...

For me on my 95 taco it has a arb on it but my air bag has been disabled.. its over the time limit on air bag. it needs to be replaced over 19 years old by air bag rules they are to be inspected and replaced after really 10 years... ( honesty I guess im the only one that follows that rule I guess)

Edit.. remember you stock bumper is made to crush on impact where some of these will be sending all impact to the frame and could damage the frame totaling it out when the other bumper(stock bumper) could have saved the frame..

I did alot of research on arb there testing was impressive no one else does that no one.

Edit 2 also you must remember with 2gen and 3 gen tundras you have more sensors in the truck not just for front impact you have it for side and roll over impact... tho I have not personality look at where the sensers are on those but I can tell you they are just as sensitive as others if not more and I bet they are tied in some how... just I idea...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  13. Jul 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    andrew

andrew where's the beer?

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    2012 rockwarrior
    stock
    Whe
    When you put an ARB on the tundra with the 5.7, you don't really need airbags. You're going to plow through a car like a Tank hitting a tonka truck...

Tundra44 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top