1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member from WV

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dave91gt, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Aug 5, 2016 at 8:02 PM
    dave91gt

dave91gt [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 TRD Crewmax 4x4
    Hello everyone. First Toyota and thought I'd join the forum. This will be a bit long winded...
    First, I am a diehard Ford fan. My wife drives a 2015 Expedition and I have 2 Foxbody mustangs. One is a 91 GT that I've owned since 95. I just swapped a built 351w and it's a 5 speed car with 4.56 gears. The other is a 92 LX 5.0 auto with 26k original pampered miles. It's put back for my 15 year old son.
    Now that all of that is out of the way, how did I end up in a Tundra?
    I've had Ford trucks since 1997. Lots of them - F150's, F250's, Excursions, etc. good luck with all of them. My latest was a 2014 FX4 screw with the appearance package. It was leveled, 34" Duratracs, ecoboost, etc. It was completely loaded. I leased it 1.5 years ago on a 3 year term. For the first 15k, I had zero issues. Then I had a random wrench light that limited trans shifting to the first 3 gears. Dealer scheduled appt. 5 days out. Dropped it off and they told me there was a TSB for the lead frame connector. The tech wanted to just change it and had to order parts. I agreed. Picked it up and discovered they didn't change anything. But the fluid. The tech cleaned the connector. A week later it started slamming into gears 2 and 3. Dealer told me to keep driving it. So, I did. Until it started grinding. Had it towed to the dealer and was told 2-3 weeks. Gave me a loaner first week into it. By the middle of the 2nd week, I called and they hadn't touched it. So, in a fit of emotion I called their sister dealership and worked out a deal on the Tundra. The deal was great and I figure I'll give the Tundra 2 years of driving. It was always my second choice.
    I work for a tier 1 auto supplier and understand Japanese quality systems. That and the fact the Tundra is an American built truck made it easier to give it a try. My kids are angry and my coworkers are in shock. But they universally like the Tundra.
    Now, for the comparisons.
    Power- the Tundra is strong. I like the traditional v8 and 4.30 gears. The trans calibration is sorted out well. The Ecoboost was stronger midrange in torque as it would pull all interstate hills in 6th and no downshifts. The Tundra drops a gear in some spots. But it's typical of my past na v8's. The first tank in the Tundra netted 14.4 mpg. The F150 wasn't much better. My wife's Expedition with the Eco is a solid 16 in the same drive.
    Styling- the F150 I had was very eye catching with the bright red paint, black wheels, stripe package, and zero chrome. The Tundra has an eyeful of chrome upfront. But I can change that. It also needs leveled in my opinion. I used Autospring on my past 2 F150's and will likely go there again. Solid construction. I like the magnetic gray. I've already tinted the front windows 20%.
    Interior- I like the Entune and the roomy cab. It's the only one I think compares with the F150 screw. My kids have tons of room. I do wish there was under seat storage. My F150 had storage bins and the stereo was an upgraded Sony with subwoofer (factory). I can't compare trim levels as I essentially bought an XLT equivalent. The Tundra represents well. I miss the better info screen in the Ford and an example is factory transmission temp gauges. But I assume Toyota will be adding that in the future.
    Driving- the Tundra rides better. The F150 handled better. Brakes are comparable and I'd give the nod to the Tundra.
    Build quality- the Toyota looks to be better here. Everything underneath is painted. The fasteners are coated. There are zero rattles or door shake on rough roads. This was a big factor for me after the dealer experience from Ford. I don't have time to be their Guinea pig.
    In the end, I am in a honeymoon stage. I enjoy getting in and driving the Tundra. It may not have the style of my last truck, but it's not exactly plain. I will likely end up in another Ford after my lease. But, I could end up surprising everyone and buying out my lease.
    Looking forward to participating in the forum. I was very active in the F150 forums. Every part of this truck is a learning experience. But I've finally figured out how to turn the wipers on haha.

driverdog, Black Wolf, Law323 and 2 others like this.
  2. Aug 5, 2016 at 8:03 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    TL;DR but welcome from CO!

3. Aug 5, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Welcome from eastern CO! I'll be surprised if you go back to a Ford after having the Tundra for 2 years, they're addicting.

dave91gt[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Welcome from south La, buddy!! I like fords to be honest, but seems like lately they've been having bugs, my cousins both had to get their computers fixed within a year of them driving (brand new).
    With that said, I haven't had any problems with my tundy, it does need some work in certain areas (which truck doesn't?) but as far as construction, ride, and everything mechanical, I have to go with tundras! You'll love it!!

dave91gt[OP] and zcarpenter92 like this.
  5. Aug 6, 2016 at 3:57 AM
    George14

George14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 Dc TRD Off Road 5.7L with tow package
    None
    Welcome from northern W Va

dave91gt[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2016 at 12:37 PM
    Wvmoonshiner

Wvmoonshiner 2020 T4R Venture SE

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 T4R Venture Midnight black
    Welcome from WVA

dave91gt[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 6, 2016 at 1:16 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO.

dave91gt[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top