1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy, know nothing about lifts.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by phnominon, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Jul 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    phnominon

phnominon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 SR5 Crewmax
    I know it is lifted, but have no idea with what or even where to look to see if I need anything. Nothing under it is shiny or bright colored like the stuff I see posted here. Also, I noticed the space between the arm and the tire is tight, like can't fit a finger in-between them tight. Tried taking some pictures. I am assuming I might need a spacer of some sort or offset rims? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Jul 18, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome from CO. Looks like a spacer lift. This guy right here:

upload_2018-7-18_13-53-27.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    phnominon[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 18, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    Roman

Roman Toyota Parts Master Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    You have a spacer lift. The spacer is what is circled in red here:

Untitled.jpg

If the tire is rubbing, you have a few options. You could use wheel spacers to give you some extra room. You could change the wheels to a lower offset wheel to give you more room. Or you could downsize the tires.

phnominon[OP] and T500 like this.
  4. Jul 18, 2018 at 12:35 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Looks like an above-the-coil spacer lift, maybe a 3” lift total given its thickness? Hard to tell by looking at the photo. Spacer lifts are OK for street driving. I could be wrong, but I think the in-coil spacers tend to lessen the risk over-extending the control arm assembly, which can result in the coil springs smacking the upper ball joints. By “in-coil,” I mean that the spacer itself is wedged in between the top of the coil spring and the bottom of the top plate.

If you want to take your truck off-road, you might be better off replacing that front setup with a coilover that provides comparable lift.

As for the tires being close to the upper control arm, that’s usually the case with wider tires and wheels with stock offset (usually around +55mm to +60mm). Wheel spacers can help with that along with aftermarket wheels with less positive offset (+18 to +35, for example).

5. Jul 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM
    sr5shark

sr5shark Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Fox & ADS | SCS SR8 | Nitto RG
    Welcome from CA. It looks like you have 305/65R18's. With stock wheels you are better off with 295's or narrower. Options would be wheels spacers or aftermarket wheels. When switching wheels to something with a lower offset you increase the chance of rubbing.

HighDesertSurfer likes this.
  6. Jul 23, 2018 at 1:12 PM
    phnominon

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 SR5 Crewmax
    Thanks all, it sees some very light offroading, mostly hunting trails here in upstate NY. I did just get back from woods, sorry for the delay. I really appreciate everyone's insight. Since it does not quite rub, there are no marks on the tires, am I ok with just running as is for now and then when a tire change is needed get some 295's, or is there a reason to do it sooner. Unless some offset rims fall into my lap, I don't intend on changing those.

7. Jul 23, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    [​IMG]
    There seems to be enough space to where you can keep the tires for now. Nothing that you do, even off roading will cause the tire to move any closer to the UCA to make it rub. Assuming you keep the same or similar tire pressure, but even that would not cause a huge lateral movement.

phnominon[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 23, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    phnominon

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 SR5 Crewmax
    @Boerseun Thanks! Eases my mind a little.

Products Discussed in

To Top