1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Gun - Sig P365

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by knoxville36, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Sep 11, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    That’s why I’m pointing him towards things with the best triggers first, because I know consistent trigger pulls are the hardest thing for new shooters and they tend not to want to shoot if they can’t get it right. I’m thinking he’ll fall in love with the Sig trigger then it’s just a matter of figuring out what size option in that line works best for his needs.

2. Sep 11, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    berto40

berto40 Always a noob.

Member:
    Texas
    Those of you all that EDC a P365, did it show signs of rust? I take mine everywhere all the time...walking, cycling, etc..very nice comfortable gun..but disappointed it's got rusty spots. I just dabbed some oil on it and wipe it down more regularly now. Mags especially have a lot of rusty spots.

3. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    I have had mine for almost 5 months now. Put about 600 rounds through it. Absolutely love it and I carry it in a Vedder Light Tuck or AlienGear holster.

I am not really a biased gun person as I like them all!!! However, I have put about 200 rounds through the Hellcat also. If you have not ever shot the p365 and just bought the Hellcat you would be happy. After shooting it, it cemented that I made the right choice in getting the p365. My opinion, and my opinion only it is still a better quality gun and better for me.

As far as rust goes, I have not seen any hint of it on mine. I do put a really coat of oil on the outside after cleaning so that probably helps.

GODZILLA and berto40[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    What do you carry it in?

How do you store it?

Where do you store it? In a high humidity area like a basement?

I only do Kydex to avoid trapping moisture. Only pistol I store in a holster is my EDC Glock and it’s in its kydex holster which tends not to be prone to trapping moisture. Everything else sits or hangs in a safe not in a sock or holster.

I’m just curious what could be happening here because in 20 years I don’t think I’ve had a pistol rust from normal use and carrying.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  5. Sep 11, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    berto40

berto40 Always a noob.

Member:
    Texas
    I carry it in an iwb kydex holster. The only thing i've read that could be causing it would be me sweating on it and not wiping it down immediately afterwards. I also do clean it and wipe it down regularly, but i guess not often enough. It literally goes from nightstand (pm) to waistband (am) and back and forth. I carried a Glock 26 for many years in a kydex without it ever showing signs of rusting.

6. Sep 12, 2020 at 3:13 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    I just ordered a couple extra CLIPS for my PC9, gonna load them up with BULLETS when I get 'em!:devil:

7. Sep 12, 2020 at 5:20 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Boo! Hiss! :rant:

All jokes aside, how's that PC9?

8. Sep 12, 2020 at 7:06 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    That's solid enough for anybody, I would think! :thumbsup:

9. Sep 17, 2020 at 4:17 AM
    Hurricane

Hurricane Default: Aggressive

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White 1794
    None
    That’s because Glocks don’t rust. Glocks make people forget how to care for other pistols properly lol

berto40[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 17, 2020 at 4:30 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    That's not true at all

Glocks absolutely can and will rust

GODZILLA and berto40 like this.
  11. Sep 17, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    Hurricane

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White 1794
    None
    Let me rephrase. Glock slides are coated with (or at least they used to be) a Tenifer finish. That finish is pretty much rust-proof. The slide is all of the metal that most people touch on a Glock during day to day use. It’s extremely rare to find a Glock that’s Gen 3 or older that is rusted even slightly.

But yes, if you want to play devils advocate, the Glock slide and rails are made of metal and can therefore rust. Maybe.

berto40 and ElwoodDowd like this.
  12. Sep 17, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    berto40

berto40 Always a noob.

Member:
    Texas
    I never had to baby my baby glock(gen 3) on a regular basis other than to blow off dust. :notsure: And for the record, this is the first time ever i've referred to my glock 26 gen 3 as a baby glock!:D

13. Sep 17, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    Glock changed slide treatment several years ago to a nitride process

the tennifer can rub off and it’s easy to rust after that...I’ve seen plenty of rusted glocks both tennifer and ndlc

with that being said, their slide coatings are seemingly better than several others in that you won’t experience rust under light use etc but in humid or rainy environments, you’re still going to need to combat it, especially if you actually shoot or cycle the slide regularly and have any holster wear

when I picked up a Gen 2 last year, the recoil spring, extractor, extractor spring, plunger, and firing pin safety and spring were all beyond saving from rust. The slide was speckled and the barrel had some light spots

metal is metal and finishes and treatments rub and wear off

14. Sep 17, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    Hurricane

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White 1794
    None
    Tenifer doesn’t “rub off”. It’s a metal surface treatment that physically changes the surface of the metal. The black coloration can and will wear away but this doesn’t mean that the gun can now rust like a traditional finish can.

And yes, other small parts in the gun that are not treated with the Tenifer process can and will rust.

I had a Gen 3 19 that was purchased by the former owner as a Blue label gun and carried on duty for years before I got it. That owner claimed to have fired 8-10 thousand rounds out of the gun. I purchased the gun and carried it for at least 5-6 years, shooting it several thousand times myself, while also dry fire practicing and practicing my draw from several different holsters. The gun was pretty heavily worn when I got rid of it, with long strips of the black coloration missing on the edges of the slide from holstering and carrying, and the rails were starting to show a good amount of wear also. Absolutely no rust on that gun whatsoever. And I never cleaned it other than wiping the dust off of it or swabbing the barrel. It spent a lot of time in my waistband in the sweaty NC heat too. But I guess YMMV.

JimBeam[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Sep 17, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    I think the point we can agree on is the slides themselves are less susceptible to rusting than many other major brands

Hurricane and berto40 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top