1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Grill - Gas or Kamado

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by turkeycreek29010, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Dec 26, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    TH1776

TH1776 New Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    040 PRO
    I've had a large BGE for years. I love the taste you get from natural lump charcoal. By the way, Royal Oak is my favorite lump. Made by the same people as the BGE lump but not as pricey. Also made in the U.S.

Voda48 likes this.
  2. Dec 26, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    Borador

Borador New Member

Member:
    Olive Branch, MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4 w/1794 Interior upgrade
    Congrats. I have the Kamado Joe Jr and Big Joe 2. I love cooking on the ceramic grills. Brisket is going on today. KJ is introducing a new pellet fired grill early next year and I'm already trying to justify it! :)

3. Sep 3, 2022 at 9:34 PM
    Dirtnap

Dirtnap New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    I have a Yoder ys640 a Kamado Joe. I use both and love both. Ditched propane years ago a don’t miss it. My Yoder is quick if I need to grill some burgers. The Kamado can get stupid hot so I use that to sear steaks.

4. Sep 4, 2022 at 5:12 AM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    I am swapping out my BGE for a new gas Weber. I know im probably in the minority but after running BGE kamado style for 10 years now i really miss the ease and quickness of gas. The BGE constantly blows smoke in my face and its difficult to enjoy sitting oustide when smoke is pouring out in my direction. Not to mention smelling like smoke for the rest of the day o_O. The kamados are really a labor of love and have the best flavor but im ready to move on. Just something to think about if anyone is considering getting into one. But i would say it would be nice to have both if you have the room for it

5. Sep 4, 2022 at 6:02 AM
    Voda48

Voda48 New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum
    Congrats, you'll love it. I would however recommend getting a DigiQ to more easily control temperatures: https://bbqguru.com/info/DigiQ

They are pricey but, considering you won't screw up cooking something like a $75 brisket, totally worth it.

EAK likes this.
  6. Sep 4, 2022 at 6:03 AM
    Voda48

Voda48 New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum
    Why not just get a gas as a backup? That is what I do.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  7. Sep 4, 2022 at 6:39 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    If it's bellowing out white or thick smoke, you shouldn't be cooking over it. White smoke means it is still prepping.

You shouldn't see my much smoke coming out the stack, after it comes to temp and it's done the pre burn. It does take a while to get to that stage and many throw their food on when way too early.

https://youtu.be/pbBPQP_eoQY

8. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:28 AM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    I was going to get a small gas grill to put near the egg but the more I thought about it I've just lost patience to use the BGE for now. I got a heck of a deal on a weber genesis on clearance so just went that route. If i had room to keep both out I'd do that but for now I'm putting the BGE in storage.

9. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:33 AM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    Yes I know about that stage I've just lost patience with it. I used to clean it out and vacuum up the "dust" after every couple of uses but its eaten up so many wet vac's that I just started grilling less. The charcoal briquettes also have a lot to do with achieving that perfect heat but it seems every bag I get from lowes over the years just have mostly small pieces. I think the BGE is an awesome grill but it takes a lot of prep and maintenance and patience which I'm out of :rofl: Also that smoked food hasn't been sitting with me well lately not sure what thats about. Just throwing out my .02. Loved the grill and would recommend it, it just comes with some bad as well as good imo.

Products Discussed in

To Top