1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New front brakes from local garage

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Norm1953, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Aug 8, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    Norm1953

Norm1953 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra SR5
    So I took my 2012 Tundra TRD SR5 4x4 5.7L which I use to tow my 2015 Dutchmen 288RLSS travel trailer to replace front pads and rotors (they don't turn rotors) I ask for OEM products and they insisted that's all they use. All appears well pedal is a little spongy. I looked up the part numbers and they are Adv. Auto Parts number. question: are these AAP's OEM standard and should I have gone with Toyota parts. I could have changed them myself and should have...
    Thanks

2. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2007, 5.7L, 4x4, Crewmax,
    Don't overthink this. It's likely the Advance parts were equal to or better than OE. If the pedal is "spongy", confirm the pads were properly "bedded". Many on here swear by OE "only" parts, but, many (most) prime parts manufacturers sell in the aftermarket their equivalent part under a private label as well as "brand" name. You don't say how many miles were on your Tundra, so, if the brakes were equal to OE, you should get the same mileage on your new pads and rotors.

3. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    audiowize

audiowize New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul B.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR-5 4x4 5.7
    They lied to you. OEM is OEM. The only possible exception that could be made is if they sourced Akebono pads from Advance Auto Parts, but you are saying they are Carquest Standard, which are cheap organic pads.

4. Aug 8, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    40cpe

40cpe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gene
    Vehicle:
    2008 double cab 5.7L
    none
    I have no experience with genII brake replacements, but I bought an '02 Tundra in '06 with 70,000 miles on it. Shortly I had rotor shake, turned them with new pads and wasn't long 'till they were shaking again. I bought Advance Auto parts rotors and Akebono pads. That has been many years ago with no more issues.

5. Aug 8, 2021 at 1:50 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Probably not what you meant, but, your post is inaccurate! If a Federal Mogul company supplies steering components or gaskets or brake parts to an OE for use on the production line, then you buy a Moog, or Fel-Pro gasket or Wagner brake part from (any parts store), your statement implies that it's not OE. If that same part goes into a Carquest box (private label), you imply that it's different. Well that's just not accurate. In another life, I worked for a tier one mfr. selling to Ford for their production line, and I can assure you that the part we put into our aftermarket "branded" box was EXACTLY the same part.

6. Aug 8, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Parts store pads in my opinion are trash.

EBC, akebono, hawk or oem are all I run.

7. Aug 8, 2021 at 3:59 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Probably, The point was, Denso, the Tenneco Co's (Federal Mogul), Bosch, Magna Intl, etc, supply car mfr's world wide for their production lines. If the part is not an OE propriety part (generally, customer owned tooling), they can market the EXACT SAME PART in their own "branded" package or a private label. The bigger quality issues are counterfeit parts being sold as "branded", not the "second" or "lessor" lines being sold by a tier one or two mfr's.

WILLINH and Danny3737 like this.
  8. Aug 8, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    Danny3737

Danny3737 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Limited Platinum

Amazon is probably one of the worst places to buy parts. They sell a lot of counterfeit parts, especially sparks plugs. I’d also stay away from stuff from Dorman as well.

9. Aug 8, 2021 at 6:38 PM
    audiowize

audiowize New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul B.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR-5 4x4 5.7
    $35 organic Carquest brake pads are not at all comparable to the OE ceramic brake pads that come with the truck. If you don't believe me, buy some! While you're at it you can toss on some Chinese wheel bearings from Napa and an aftermarket MAF sensor. Those parts are all the same as OE I'm sure and I bet they'll last just as long...

My comment that the exception would be buying Akebono pads is related to your post, as I believe that's who Toyota is getting them from.

10. Aug 10, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    You can get some OEM parts from part stores depending on what store , part and area. I've been able to find some straight up labeled with manufacture and part number for certain items , completely the same as the dealer ship. It just depends on were your at an what brands.

If you were so worried about being 100% OEM how come you didn't take it to the dealer for service or very least buy the parts at the dealer an if the dealer was busy take em to the said shop?

Me personally I've always went a step up on brakes going to cross drilled and slotted rotors an performance pads , I have a bad habit of warping any smooth disc rotor with in 1k or less.

11. Aug 14, 2021 at 5:20 AM
    Billy Bob Tundra

Billy Bob Tundra New Member

Member:
    There are MANY brake parts that are superior to OEM. I have much better braking with the Carbon Metalic brake pads and slotted rotors on the front of my Tundra. I needed it for towing my 3k boat that has no brakes. But I will say many chain auto parts stores like Autozone and Advanced Auto sell a LOT of the cheapest brake parts for price shoppers. In that case I will bet the Toyota OEM pads are much better than what you got. But that's not your problem of having a spongy brake pedal.

A spongy brake pedal could be your older flexible brake hose lines are getting "just a little" soft and is causing this. I had the same problem for several years until I change out all those old brake hoses with Stainless Steel brake hoses from RockAuto. Now that brake pedal us SUPER hard and at the top of the travel.

YardBird likes this.
  12. Aug 16, 2021 at 8:45 PM
    Retroboy1989

Retroboy1989 'Course it's 4x4!

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 5.7 SR5 TRD OR Barcelona
    Snug top 20" TRD Sport wheels 275/60R20 Tires Additional Trans Cooler
    Fresh brake fluid probably didn't hurt either. New fluid can firm up a pedal.

Products Discussed in

To Top