1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New (disappointed) Tundra owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ron4953, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jan 3, 2018 at 3:48 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    Is the 4.6 the 1st gen motor?

My 1st gen was smoother and better sounding than the 5.7 by a mile. Towed a 23’ boat pretty well too.

OP you were not told of a bigger motor available? I’d say your dealer was happy to get rid of the 4.6.

2. Jan 3, 2018 at 4:55 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    First gen is 4.7. 4.6 is more powerful and debuted with the first year of second gems IIRC

3. Jan 3, 2018 at 4:58 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Pro Crewmax, Cement
    Many KB Voodoo Fabrications accessories!!
    I feel exactly the same way. I've only ever dealt with one salesman who was worth a damn, and because of that I bought four Acura's from him.

CringyDad[QUOTED] and HBdirtbag like this.
  4. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    Vern Orcutt (sp?) sold me a new '97 Honda Civic and that guy had his shit together. The ONLY vehicle salesperson I've dealt with who actually helped and impressed me.

CringyDad likes this.
  5. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    rustynail11

rustynail11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mansfield,TX (DFW Area)
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tundra TRD
    After buying my first Jeep I learned not to rely on sales people for info about a the vehicle I am looking at. Luckily I had done my research and knew exactly what I wanted because the sales person I dealt with was grossly misinformed on every aspect of the Jeep, same thing happened when I bought my second one.

When I bough my Tundra I had done a ton of research and knew what I wanted (actually visited here before purchasing for some insight) but was pleasantly surprised about how knowledgeable the sales guy I worked with was. He couldn't answer all my questions but he tried and only time did I catch him trying to BS an answer.

Bottom line is that there is way too much information available to consumers now that no one should rely on a sales person to answer all the questions they have when it comes to the vehicle or pricing.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  6. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:43 AM
    rustynail11

rustynail11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mansfield,TX (DFW Area)
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tundra TRD
    Funny you mention Honda, we just bought my wife a new Pilot and the salesperson we worked with was the best I have ever seen. She has been with the dealership for over 13 years and is one of their top sellers. She knew everything about the vehicle inside and out and pointed out options on other trim levels but never tried hard sell on more than what we wanted and even suggested what bells and whistles weren't worth the $$. I would actually have to say this was a pleasant car buying experience.

7. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:44 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    I'm kind of with scpete24 here. Why would you drive 60 miles to spend $30-40k without apparently doing any research ahead of time? Sorry but only a fool would ever take a salesman's word for anything.

Some are flat out liars and most are completely clueless. Either way, they will almost always tell you whatever you want to hear in order to make the sale. This isn't a Toyota thing, salesmen lying or misleading customers is as old as time. Did you get duped? Sure but this is just as much your fault as it is their's IMO.

I also personally think it's bad form to come here, start an account just to bitch about how you were suckered and make it out to be Toyota's fault some how? The fault here is 50% yours, 50% Dealer. 0% Toyota's.

I would go back to that dealership and make them take back that truck and get you one with the 5.7l and tow package but that is going to cost you more money as it sounds like you bought a pretty stripped model. The other option is what you are doing now and getting your own controller installed.

Either way, this is not law suit material IMO but I'm old school. I believe in personal responsibility and like I said, this is just as much your fault as it is the dealer's. Chalk this up as a learning experience. Get the issue resolved and move on. Just my harsh $.02

8. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:45 AM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    I would trade in for the 5.7. There was a misunderstanding somehow.

9. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:47 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Pro Crewmax, Cement
    Many KB Voodoo Fabrications accessories!!
    This was back in the early 90's. His name is Bruce Mauer, and he is still moving cars, but more on a management level.

10. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:49 AM
    HTGreen

HTGreen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Halsey
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Tundra Quicksand
    When I put the P2 in my 2016 CM Tundra, I used the 3017-P cable for connecting to the plug behind the panel to the right of the steering wheel. I had the factory controller that did not function correctly.

11. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:54 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    ??? thinking I didn't get the spelling THAT wrong.

KB Voodoo[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 3, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    Wise..
    But I would take that MEETING a step further.
    I would ask dealer to take the truck back & sell you the rig you asked for, from that dealer.
    I’m confident a professional type & calm meeting with General Manager, Sales Manager & Salesman would be beneficial.

NewImprovedRon and tomsinamerica like this.
  13. Jan 3, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    If he did you would have known he was lying. Lol

Law323 and CringyDad like this.
  14. Jan 3, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    speckmon

speckmon Must. Have. Pow.

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    This, all of this. No reason a few good men couldn't figure this issue out quickly.

Slayer[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 3, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    Redbeard321

Redbeard321 ballin' on a budget

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    Pretty sure this is the problem. I have a 2016 SR5 with the 4.6L and I have a hitch receiver but no tow/haul button or anything. I didn't buy it with the intention to do much serious towing though and I'm not aware of any brake controller laws in my state.

16. Jan 3, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    Casper3

Casper3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    CT/OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White 5.7 SR5 TRD off road
    I bet it's MGM, even with the 5.7 they can't get out of their own way :rofl:

17. Jan 3, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    Vector W8

Vector W8 Old guy with a lot of expensive habits.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Super White Crewmax 4X4
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    Go with the Tekonsha Prodigy. You will be a happy owner. With the Toyota Tundra adapter its a plug and play proposition.

18. Jan 3, 2018 at 9:40 AM
    scpete24

scpete24 Duuuuuuude

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro Super White
    This is what got me going to begin with. Joins here to complain, but not to ask the community for advice on which truck. 4.6 for sole purpose of towing 3000-4000 lbs? I'm sure there is not one person on here who would have recommended the 4.6 over the 5.7 for his purposes.

I will completely agree the OP got screwed with a very poor sales rep, but the blame is not 100% on them

19. Jan 3, 2018 at 11:17 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    OP, if the '18s are the same as the '17s, (I'm not sure whether the are or not) the plug you're looking for is behind the 3 button switch panel to the right of the steering wheel. Pull out the upper right side of the panel that's underneath the steering column, it's just clipped in. Then, starting at the upper right corner, pull out the 3 button switch panel, also just clipped in. Behind that small panel you should find the white plug you're searching for.

20. Jan 3, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    For pictures and instructions go to curtmfg.com and in the search bar put in part #51455. On the right side of the page you'll see instructions. If you click on the instructions they'll open in a PDF with detailed step by step instructions and color pictures.

21. Jan 3, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    If you decide to keep your truck, This cheap 35 dollar controller will work just fine.

BC.jpg

22. Jan 3, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Maybe the issue is that the 4.6 is not pre-wired for a brake controller. Can anyone with a 4.6 verify that theirs was pre-wired to accept the brake controller?

23. Jan 3, 2018 at 2:03 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    im assuming that the adapter is the same and will fit 17-18 but Amazon hasnt caught up yet on the part numbers. i could be totally wrong though

Ely010606[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Jan 3, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    CringyDad

CringyDad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra 1794 TRD (blueprint/saddle tan)
    Nothing.
    My elderly neighbor bought a 2nd gen 2WD Tundra DC with a 4.6L and no factory tow package and used it to pull a quite large 5th wheel all over the western US and Canada. He would often drone on and on about how great a truck it was, all the while I was looking over his shoulder at my Silverado, then F150, and think "dude doesn't know what he's talking about!" Well, the Ford and Chevy are gone and a Tundra is in my driveway now...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    mdavis and jeremyd like this.
  25. Jan 3, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    gmagno

gmagno New Member

Member:
    I purchased a 2018 Tundra Crew Cab with a 4.6L plain work truck for my business. Black bumpers, vinyl seats, etc. It has a 4 Pin and 7 Way in the rear bumper but nothing on the dash or in the gauges that reference TOW.

I knew this going into it and was taking my Tekonsha P3 out of my 12 Tundra (same exact truck) and installing it in the 18. I call the trailer guys, they order the harness, I go to get it installed and BAM!!!! They could not find the plug in the typical place (drivers kick panel) and told me after contacting their resources they cant help me.

I called the dealer and talked to the parts manager. He tells me I can buy the factory trailer brake controller but may need to also purchase the ECU. I think the ECU is what would allow integration with the electronics in the dash/truck. He wasn't 100%. I called Tekonsha and they have already talked to Toyota, realize the issue and have not yet made a harness for the 18. I found another Toyota dealer on EBay that tells me this is all I need https://www.ebay.com/itm/252503725300?ul_noapp=true. If anyone else has an answer I would appreciate the info. At this point I am going to call a couple more dealers to verify the EBay deal is right for me and be the guinea pig on this one.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    CringyDad likes this.
  26. Jan 3, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    TundraTss

TundraTss The Mistress

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD SR5
    Everything. Literally.
    Be disappointed in the shiesty dealer.
    And then apologize to your truck.

27. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    ron4953

ron4953 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    none
    Once again I want to thank the large majority of you that have been helpful. I just want to set a few things straight here for a few people. I have been a Toyota (Tacoma 4x4) pick up owner since 1997-probably a hell of a lot longer than many people here. It has been, and is, a great truck I still use all the time. Because of how great it has been that is one reason I chose to stay with Toyota, I also did research what people felt about their full size pick-ups-including on this site, and that is why I chose a Tundra and not another brand. Through reading about Tundras on this site, and other sites as well, I knew many people did not like the factory installed brake controller and had installed various after market ones of their choosing. In fact, I had already ordered an after market controller before I bought the Tundra. Yes, I'm pissed at Toyota and somewhat the dealership-not because of their lack of a brake controller, but because there is no plug/play connector to hook a controller into. Once again, I have looked everywhere (this site, etrailer, and Youtube to name a few) every other person I have read about found there connector-it is not in any of those locations. I have been to two Toyota dealerships and two rv centers (since they do this kind of thing for a living), and none of them can find the correct connector either (see pics on my previous reply if you are really interested). What I'm trying to find out is if this model year 2018 has the correct plug/play connector or not. From another Tundra forum site, and from the post just a bit ago from gmagno (thank you for your help and the link) it appears it does not. I never joined this site to complain, I joined to see if anyone actually had an answer or knew something that could help. I really don't need the few of who think you are "helping" by making negative comments. If that is your idea of "helping" then I don't need it.

P-Factor, sprtbkr, TXMiamiFan and 3 others like this.
  28. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    It does kinda suck that Toyota would go through the trouble of changing wiring harnesses on the 4.6 vs the 5.7. My guess is the 5.7's have a brake controller plug but I can't say for sure.
    Do you think that the dealer where you bought it would consider letting you trade for a truck that can support your necessary brake controller? Since you were told the truck you bought would work?

Edit..i realize you'll likely have to pay more for the 5.7 but maybe they'd bend a little on the trade. You'd get an extra 70ish hp and trq too.

29. Jan 3, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    upload_2018-1-3_19-2-46.jpg

mdavis[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jan 3, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Sounds like you don’t have the tow package and basically you’re screwed. Honestly, there isn’t much info out there about tow packages on our trucks so no matter how much research you would’ve done, I doubt you would’ve even found anything on it. I don’t think it’s even mentioned when you “build” a truck on the Toyota website. So you had to rely on the salesman and the jackass gave you false information so they need to step up to the plate. They need to take the truck back and apply the credit towards a truck with the tow package. You’ll probably have to pay more for more truck but don’t see any other option. I’d ask for a deal like this and if I didn’t get it, they’d see the psycho side of me.

Products Discussed in

To Top