1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Never rent from Thrifty..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blenton, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Dec 24, 2023 at 5:34 PM
    blenton

blenton [OP] New Member

Member:
    This is un-freakin-believable. Reserved a car through Thrifty to drive while visiting family for the holidays. My wife and kids and I spent the day taking a few plane rides to get across the country. Showed up to the car rental counter to be told that our reservation would not be honored, nor would anybody else’s reservation if it was made through a third party like Travelocity, Delta, Kayak, etc. We made ours through the airline with our plane tickets. We were invited to either walk down the road to a different car rental agency, or stand in line to get on the wait list (minimum 6 hours) renegotiate our rental fee, and accept whatever car they bring out for us. The folks in front us payed $1800 for less than a week because they had their elderly parents with them and needed a car at any price. The couple behind us was told their $500 rental was now $1900+taxes, fees, etc if they wanted to wait on the list.

Un-freakin-believable.

I had the whole fam with luggage, Christmas presents, etc sitting on the curb for over an hour to get told that nonsense. I ended up trying to get an Uber but they couldn’t drive in to the rental car “compound” so either had to hoof it a mile in the dark, with luggage and small kids in tow (which I would do), or wait for another shuttle to fill up and head back to the terminal. Ended up spending $100 on an inadequately sized XL Uber ride to take us to our destination but with no way to get around afterwards. To the Uber drivers credit, he showed up quickly and let me Tetris our gear and one or two small children in to the back while giving me that look like - dude's already in my car; prolly better to just put in in drive and take him where he wants to go than try to get him out of the car... But I'm just so freaking pissed off right now.

Was on hold with the airline to get it sorted, but they just kicked me over to the rental car agency. Doubt I’m gonna get anywhere with it. I’ll just report til the charge as fraudulent I guess and pile up the Uber charges while we are out here.

Oh. Nevermind. Thrifty just hung up on me after waiting on hold unanswered for 15 minutes. Grrr.

This is why I hate traveling anywhere I can’t drive myself.

Oh, and merry Christmas Eve. Guess I’m the grinch this year.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  2. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:16 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    It doesn't help now but NEVER book travel arrangements through 3rd party sites.

I don't care how good the deal is this type of situation happens far too often.

3. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:20 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I'd call Thrifty the Grinch...

landphil likes this.
  4. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:25 PM
    blenton

blenton [OP] New Member

Member:
    Definitely agree. Now the airline is saying thrifty is a preferred partner or some horse manure line, so I have to call them directly. Call center is based in India. :frusty::frusty::frusty:
    Asked for a manger three times already. One guy just gave me a “direct line” phone number… direct line to to the back of the line to start all over!

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  5. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:28 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    What state where you in while trying to rent the vehicle??

6. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:28 PM
    blenton

blenton [OP] New Member

Member:
    DC area.

7. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:38 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    The only 3rd party people I use is Concur when I was traveling a lot for work.
    Since last year, I refuse to travel on the holidays. We traveled back from FL on Xmas eve last year during the whole SWA and airline fiasco. I’ll never travel on holidays again

ColoradoTJ and Tripleconpanna like this.
  8. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:39 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    If you have AAA, you may be able to get a hold of them right now and they may be able to help you w/a rental based on 'emergent' or exigent needs (IE>>> this could leave you stranded and requiring an unexpected last minute hotel, etc. which is often covered by AAA)

Another source for similar coverage would be your CC used for the transaction; many have 'insurance' in place to help consumers deal w/unforeseen situations including unfair practices by a car rental company

Either of the above situations may be easier to deal w/now that you're away from the airport; some jurisdictions have weird rules for airport taxis, rentals, etc... that let them get away w/this kind of bullshit....

Keep all your receipts for costs you incur as a result of this goat rope, and you may have some recourse on the back end (deal w/this once you're home and done w/the trip)

Look toward contacting a consumer fraud entity as this is no different than a 'bait and switch' tactic; depending on jurisdiction there could be civil penalties... Most rental agents are on commission, and anything over a certain rental rate is paid out to them at a higher rate (more commission), so they have incentive to take advantage of travel situations.... This would be no different than price gouging water during a drought.

Good luck on a reasonable resolution, and try not to let ruin your travels and holidays (I know way easier said than done)...

9. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:44 PM
    blenton

blenton [OP] New Member

Member:
    Here, let me give you the phone number to our local office.

[Gives me the same number the last guy gave me as his direct line to his manger]

Sorry buddy, that’s not the direct line to the local office. That’s supposed to be the direct line to your manager, according to your friend there. It’s also so happens to be the direct line to customer service. YOU. That’s not the correct number.

I’m sorry, that’s yet only number we have.

So you can’t do anything for me, like modify my reservation ?

No

Speak to a manager?

No.

Cancel my reservation?

No.

Speak to the local branch?

No.

Well what can you do?!

Here is a number you can call.

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

10. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:48 PM
    blenton

blenton [OP] New Member

Member:
    I also avoid it like the plague. I try to convince everybody that Feb - April is a great time to get together for family stuff. This year was non-negotiable. Bleh.

I hadn’t thought about AAA. My CC company will be hearing about it, though. To me, price gouging is no different than stealing - except it is intentionally taking advantage. Thieves should be dealt with according to biblical example.

11. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:53 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Contact them directly and see if they can do the 'work' for you :thumbsup:

12. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:58 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Look into Enterprise if possible. Always had a good experience with them.

13. Dec 24, 2023 at 6:58 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    I've often wondered how ppl use Thrifty, Avis, Budget, etc because anytime I need a rental it's always been Enterprise. I've had good luck with them somehow. When my truck was in the body shop, they gave me a 3rd gen Tundra to drive for a week. My wife gotta new 4 Runner for a few days when the Sequoia got a new windshield and some body work.

Sorry for your troubles, man. It sounds like a real life version of this movie

14. Dec 24, 2023 at 7:00 PM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat
    Shitty deal, sorry to hear that BS.
    Probably just a branch issue though, not Thrifty nationwide.
    Just had a great experience booking Thrifty through Travelocity last month.
    10 days on Oahu in a Jeep Wrangler for $600 out the door

Best of luck!

15. Dec 24, 2023 at 7:17 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    Popular travel times will 100% equal price gouging.

ColoradoTJ and Black Wolf like this.
  16. Dec 24, 2023 at 7:21 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I get the whole price gouging the 'last minute' consumer; don't agree w/it, but I get it...

However, this is basically a breech of contract. Companies love to have 3rd party vendors keep their planes, hotels, rental cars and restaurants filled w/zero advertising expense on their behalf, but they also shouldn't screw people over who already have a reservation...

I had this happen at a hotel once, and it's no fun at all :mad:

T-Rex266 likes this.
  17. Dec 24, 2023 at 7:45 PM
    blenton

blenton [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just took a glance at Enterprises website; initial search results: Sold Out. We have no vehicles available at this time.

I really shouldn't be so ticked off about it. It's not eartheshatteringly horrendous. I'm usually pretty easy going but these types of shenanigans just push the wrong buttons. I'm prolly just as ticked that family didn't even offer to make the 40 minute drive and come get us, even though that was the original plan when I offered to rent a car several months ago as to not inconvenience any one, but they changed their minds about it a few weeks ago. They were all at a dinner party. Meanwhile, my kids hadn't eaten anything but in-flight snacks and fruit we smuggle on to the plane since breakfast because we were planning on a big dinner once we arrived.

I consider myself fairly resourceful and we obviously found a way to get out of the airport. But to me, there's a big difference between putting me in a situation like that by myself and putting my whole family in that situation. I have two feet and can walk or thumb a ride if I have to. My littles - not so much. They are troopers, for sure. I made them help lug around the bags, seemingly aimlessly, so they are awesome. But this whole thing just drives me nuts.

So I apologize for being a party pooper - just so stinking perturbed at the ridiculousness of it all. Prolly doesn't help that I put in like 100 hours this week before heading out and I'm ready for a break.

18. Dec 24, 2023 at 7:51 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    It’s Xmas and Tundras.com is in high demand. I am increasing the price of membership to 5 doll hairs.

19. Dec 24, 2023 at 8:00 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    I totally understand all and it definitely blows. I suspect Enterprise is sold out for good reasons.
    At this point you did right by adapting to the situation and taking care of the kids. Hopefully after dinner the family will be there for you a little bit more. Good luck and enjoy your kids on Christmas! Nothing else matters more!

20. Dec 24, 2023 at 8:12 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
  21. Dec 24, 2023 at 8:51 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Oh man. With inflation, those will be blow-up doll hairs by next year.

22. Dec 24, 2023 at 9:03 PM
    landphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    That’s enough to get anyone mad. Especially that call center BS. But at least you didn’t have to catch a ride with a polka band. :D

[​IMG]

23. Dec 24, 2023 at 9:14 PM
    blenton

blenton [OP] New Member

Member:

Ha! I was a kid when that show came out and I didn't understand what all the hoopla was about. I mean, why was everybody cringing saying things like
    'I would never leave my kid home like that'? It seemed perfectly plausible to me, having been left behind at various places like the play ground, department stores, restaurants, when the fam left for vacation, at amusement parks, etc. I joke that I'm the forgotten child in the family. More than once some stranger showed up with me at the front door with my big wheel, asking if they recognized this kid... I thought the movie was a lot of fun, even if a little too plausible...

24. Dec 24, 2023 at 9:36 PM
    landphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    My dad forgot me at the bank once, when I was young enough to be hanging out at the toy table. That stuff happens, I guess.:notsure:

25. Dec 24, 2023 at 10:28 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    What's that in Canuckistani icicles?

Not that it matters, I expect to be grandfathered into membership

26. Dec 25, 2023 at 1:04 AM
    BoysandHisToys

BoysandHisToys New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited
    12” Bulletproof Lift, AFE CAI, AFE Exhaust, rock lights, Fas-Top tonneau and soft topper, Dasaita 10.2” radio, light bar, ditch lights, LED headlights and fog lights, LED interior lights, Amp Research rear bumper step, dashcam, BT ODBII reader and Torque app on radio
    Maybe too late to even look into, but I just checked Turo.com (I have the app) and they had lots of rentals available for pickup at IAD. Not sure which airport you flew into. And not sure if Christmas makes it harder to pick up. Turo is where people rent out their personal vehicles through the Turo App / company. I’ve never personally tried it, but know some who have.

Tripleconpanna and 2mchfun like this.
  27. Dec 25, 2023 at 2:35 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    Non US Citizens will be 10 CAN

28. Dec 25, 2023 at 3:14 AM
    AdamK

AdamK New Member

Member:
    This is your best option - in a place like DC, there’s a good chance you could take delivery at the place you’re staying. Turo.com is changing the car rental game, which has needed a shake up for decades.

2mchfun likes this.
  29. Dec 25, 2023 at 6:07 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    In a situation like this I would have pulled that important card from my deck. The Esteemed Tundras.com member card.

30. Dec 25, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Find the email to, or the Twitter feed of, their VP, and post about it there. I’ve done this several times in the past (respectfully) with several companies (HP, Lenovo, AT&T) and it has always worked.

Wynnded, RobertD and 2mchfun like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top