1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Needed for install of Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Tracy Perry, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Jun 14, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Wife got me a new HU for Fathers day and my birthday.
    Now, trying to figure out what all I need to do an install and keep navigation and Sirius XM.
    My original HU does not have Navigation but does have Sirius XM. I figure that they don't use a special harness to the antenna for those trucks without navigation and those with it and that odds are my wiring has the GPS antenna like those with navigation do.

I've hit Amazon and think I have all the stuff I need picked out to do the install but would like some that have installed a Pioneer with built in navigation (or even without it) to take a look and see if I need anything else. If something is missing feel free to let me know as I'm ready to get this toy installed!

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 7.40.33 PM.jpg

2. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    When I did my install I went to crutchfield and chose the headunit I had, then they listed every bit of install gear I could possibly need. Then I bought i what I wanted cheaper elsewhere

3. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    tAcomaPueblo

tAcomaPueblo New Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 TRD OR CM 4x4
    Agree with what @Pudge said. But ive done quite a few installs on tundra and tacoma. Looks good to me. The SXM kit will come with an antenna not shown you'll just stash under the dash. You've got the set of 3 cables to attach GPS and others you wont use. That should be good.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    Tracy Perry

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tried that and their recommended was actually missing some of that in my list.
    I was assuming that the SAT-TO2 would allow hooking up to the GPS and Satellite radio antenna's that were on the truck without having to use any pucks.

Amazon is about $100 cheaper than Crutchfield was. Used to install radios in my younger days, but now I'd just as soon pay someone to install it. :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    tAcomaPueblo

tAcomaPueblo New Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 TRD OR CM 4x4
    Yes the SAT-T02 will let you hook anything up but you'll only need it for GPS since SXV300 will plug right into the unit. Then your extra cables can sit around for years like mine in the off chance I'll ever need them lol

6. Jun 14, 2019 at 11:28 PM
    Tracy Perry

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    One other curiosity question. The HU comes with a microphone. Is using that mic required or can you use the factory one?

7. Jun 15, 2019 at 5:45 AM
    tAcomaPueblo

tAcomaPueblo New Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 TRD OR CM 4x4
    Cant use the factory one, unfortunately. I have no doubt there is some way to rewire it, but i didnt find anything worth pursuing last install. I hate the new one but i just stick it near the old one by the steering wheel.

8. Jun 16, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    Tracy Perry

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    I noticed 2 places that look like where a microphone would be. One is on the dash above the TPMS reset switch and the other is in the map light console. Have used Google to try and find where the microphone is out of those 2 places but haven't found it (but have had fun watching YouTube videos :playball: )

9. Jun 16, 2019 at 8:08 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    It's up in the overhead console. Idk what that other thing is down by the TPMS button is.

10. Mar 11, 2020 at 3:26 AM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Any update on how you like the head unit?

11. Mar 12, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    Tracy Perry

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    Overall I'm liking it. One issue I have is sometimes when using the wifi to connect for Apple Carplay it won't hook up. When that happens I normally have to unlock the phone and wait a fwe minutes and it will connect. I don't use the built in navigation (only would use that when I was out of cell tower coverage) but use Google Maps primarily.
    Streaming audio from Pandora is lower in volume than with the satellite band.

12. Mar 12, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    There should be a way to adjust the volume /gain level for each input source. Even my 8 year old kenwood has this. You should also be able to adjust the EQ settings along with the volume for each source.

13. Mar 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    Tracy Perry

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    I'll have to dig through the menus again, but I don't remember coming across one. If I use the built in streaming (Pandora) app it keeps the volume setting the same, so think it is something to do with Carplay.

Products Discussed in

To Top