1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some towing advice

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Blissfull, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Apr 22, 2024 at 8:23 AM
    Blissfull

Blissfull [OP] New Member

Member:
    I think my 2023 tundra platinum and my travel trailer rig has a weight distribution problem. I have gathered the following information from the ratings sticker on the loaded tundra and the trailer during a trip this weekend. I also measured the loaded weight on a cat scale and at the receiver.

Sticker Rating/Actual measurement

Front axle - 4080/3560
    Rear axle - 3960/4420
    Total - 7840/7980

Trailer - 8800/6960
    Tongue - 955/1350

I am using a 1200 pound rated distribution hitch. The rig is drivable but not solid as I's like it and there is some sag. I thought of installing air bags or getting a 1500 pound distribution hitch. Was concerned about the maximum weight capacity of the tundras hitch. Any advice or comments appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  2. Apr 22, 2024 at 8:38 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    If you measured the hitch weight with a level trailer (not nose-high on the jack after disconnecting) you need to be looking at how to move some weight toward to rear of your trailer. You want 10-15% of the trailer’s gross as hitch weight, and since too little hitch weight is worse than too much, don’t go overboard. Small adjustments until you dial it in, so you don’t sway your way to a very bad day.

3. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:11 AM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    Post some pics of the rig with the trailer attached. If you are weighing on a scale, weight your vehicle three times: the truck by itself without the trailer, the truck and trailer without the WD hitch setup, and the truck and trailer with the WD hitch engaged. The ratings are not helpful when trying to determine weight distribution; you need a measured starting weight to compare you measured loaded weight. Getting those three weight tickets will tell you everything you need to know, including tongue weight if you do your math right.

The short version is - the trailer is going to leverage weight off of the front axle and place it on your rear axle. The WD hitch aims to redistribute that weight back to the front axle. In doing so, it pushes some weight back to the trailer axles. But the bulk of the tongue weight stays on the rear axle, so expect it to sag some.

4. Apr 22, 2024 at 10:52 AM
    Blissfull

Blissfull [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sorry. I edited the weight total. Typo.
    upload_2024-4-22_13-52-8.jpgupload_2024-4-22_13-52-8.jpgupload_2024-4-22_13-52-8.jpg

5. Apr 22, 2024 at 12:42 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    The first thing I see is it looks like the GVWR of the trucks is 7,230 pounds? If so, the weight you are showing in your first thread is 7,980 pounds?

1. If those numbers are true, then you are already over your payload by 750 pounds.

2. Looks like you are listing the GAWR above to come up with the 7,840? Looks like you are 460 pounds over your axle rating in the rear.

3. Just by looking at those numbers, your WDH is probably not setup correctly. More weight needs to be put on the front axle. No matter what adjustment you do you are going to be over your axle ratings and payload of truck.

When you weighed, did you have gear and people in the truck? Trailer loaded out?

4. If and a big if your numbers are correct, that is a ton of weight on a 1/2 ton pickup. Not much you can do to make it ride or tow any better with this size of truck.......

Cpl_Punishment and Mattedfred like this.
  6. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:36 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    I am surprised by the low rear axle rating on the truck. Toyota added some beef to the rear end but the axle rating on the Gen 2 trucks was still higher. I haven’t seen that be the case on any of the Gen 3’s - the rear axle being rated for less than the Gen 2’s. IMO, that is probably due to a softer spring than a weaker axle. Physically, it is the same axle as any other Gen 3 rear axle. In the case of Gen 2 axles, for example, the 5.7 came with the exact same axle regardless of cab or trim; but the double cab long bed had a higher axle rating than the regular cab short bed.

Your hitch definitely isn’t working as it should. The excess tongue weight you are seeing is more than likely due to 1 of 2 things (and most likely not the ACTUAL tongue weight): the front axle weight is being pushed back to the rear axle (the whole purpose of using a WD hitch is to redistribute that weight back to the front and partially back to the trailer axles) or you have too ouch stuff loaded in to the front of the trailer. Either of those situations could be remedied.

On a slightly lighter trailer with a less aggressive hitch setup, I was able to redistribute 400 lbs of weight without moving anything around in the trailer.

If you are able to get the three weights I mentioned above from the scales, we could better help you dial it in.

Mattedfred likes this.
  7. Apr 23, 2024 at 4:41 PM
    _none_

_none_ Poser

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC SR5 4x4
    That's a pretty big trailer...

The correct way is to visit the scale and measure 3 times:
    • Truck only
    • Truck and trailer, WDH bars not hooked up
    • Truck and trailer, WDH bars hooked up
    That will let you know actual weights and how much your WDH is working/adjusted.

Mattedfred likes this.
  8. Apr 23, 2024 at 5:43 PM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited 4x4 Turbokits.com Stage 1
    Turbokits.com Stage 1 kit (Precision 7675) Innovate SCG-1 Boost Controller AEM water/methanol injection Nitro 5.29s Powertrax Grip Pro Bilstein 5100 middle setting CB shims (2 driver, 1 passenger) Bilstein 5160 rears Firestone Ride-Rite bags Daystar cradles Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) HD TRD rear sway bar 18" TRD wheels 275/70r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W X2 Power Group 24 battery Power fold tow mirror (OEM) Genuine Cooling Systems 15-row Setrab kit Valhalla's Shields (front/rear) Dirty Deeds Bamf 21" Stainless
    Everything you need to know has already been mentioned.

Recommendation, read your WDH manual and get it dialed in with a tape measure to start. Do this when the trailer is loaded.

Then hit the scales and get the three measurements mentioned.

Empty the truck and load the trailer if you haven't already. Redistribute the load inside the trailer for towing (kegs go at the rear for transport!), and then scale, scale, scale! Good news is that once you get the three numbers, you can then work with just a reweigh for only the truck, with WDH and bars hooked up. Get that front axle back to to "just the truck" weight.

For that size trailer, those 1200lb bars should be absolutely fine, if not firm. Remember, the higher you need to lift the tongue to connect the bars, the more distribution you're getting.

blenton likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top