1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need new transmission at 2,4xx miles

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by MotoTundra, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Well, as the title reads, my 2014 Tundra 5.7 with 2,4xx miles needs a new transmission. It started giving me problems accelerating at 5 mph after slowing down, it would act like it was in neutral then after a few seconds and the tac jumped to above 2500 rpm it would slam into gear.

I have been such a huge Toyota fan my whole life, and this was the first new vehicle, also the first automatic vehicle I had ever purchased. The transmission is under warranty, however Toyota only replaces transmissions with remanufactured ones. I'm less than thrilled about that. I understand that no assembly line is perfect, and that it is rare that there are problems with Tundras, which is why I bought one, but of course my truck is in that small percentage.

I'm not trying to have a pity party here, but I really wish Toyota would put a new transmission in their vehicles when they go. Now I have no idea what the transmission on my truck has been through, which is exactly why I bought a NEW truck.

I have heard a bunch of horror stories about the American trucks having transmission problems under warranty and I thought for sure I wouldn't have that problem with a Toyota, Toyota was the only option in my mind when buying. I am considering changing teams for my next vehicle and the wife's.

The dealership has been great, I just hate the idea of a remanufactured transmission.

:frusty::censored:

2. Dec 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Damn that sucks... Sorry man!

3. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
  4. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I can't imagine that happens all that frequently. Don't worry about it though. Yes, new transmission, but it's not like they are busting apart your engine block. That next tranny will probably last the life of the truck. They keep trying to get me to trade my 13 in for a 14... And I keep thinking about it, but then I come back to reality!

5. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I agree I dont know anyone that has had ANY problems with their Tundra. Yes it could definitely be worse. Fortunately I have a great dealership and I trust the tech, so that's good.
    Egh, if it ain't broke don't fix it, nothing wrong with the 2nd gens, I love them! Plus you have so much time and detail into your truck.

6. Dec 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I can see (and would be) why you're frustrated. I never had an issue with my brand new 12 Tundra, or current '14 Tundra tranny. Unfortunately, U just got a bad pick....have U tried talking to the GM there and seeing if they will squash the deal and place U in a new one? What would the GM do if it was his truck?

7. Dec 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Sucks man. I would be very upset too. Atleast they are not just tearing into it blindly and replacing a bunch of parts.
    Rebuilds are actually pulled apart and all wear items replaced and are tested higher than new ones. Most likely it was one with a similar situation as yours. Low mileage with a manufacturing defect.

8. Dec 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I'm sure the dealership would give me a great deal if I were to trade it in for another, but obviously not a straight trade, I would have to pay a few grand and right now I would rather put that money towards my wife's next car. Hopefully it will run like it is supposed to and the transmission will last a long time. I do have faith in Toyota, its just not cool being in the small percentage of people with major problems under 3,000 miles.

I agree, and although I have never personally done a transmission, from what I hear the swap is pretty simple. Plus I know the tech and he is really good, so that's great. I also don't know much about remanned transmissions but that info is reassuring. I know many of the parts on our trucks are already over built and meant to take a lot, this must have been a fluke thing.

Thanks for the replies guys!

9. Dec 7, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    Paulskie

Paulskie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2014 Attitude Black 1794
    SABM, TRD sway bar, interior LED swap, Husky's in front and WeatherTech in the back, TRD Pro Grill, Rigid Fod lights, Rigid 40" E-series, Rigid 32" hood light, BLHM with RX350/STI projectors, 4% tint, 50% windshield.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, man. I had same issue with 2006 rav4 and at 100k Toyota had installed remanufactured transmission. 56000 miles later, absolutely no problem.

MotoTundra[OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I have no idea how I missed this post so long ago. Thanks for the info. Also, so far so good with mine, still under 8,000 miles though.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  11. Apr 26, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Jesus man, I put that on my truck every quarter. lol.

This will be how my next truck is used. Commuter car coming to keep miles off the expensive vehicles.

12. Apr 26, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Haha yeah the miles are adding up slow... But yes I agree about a commuter. For me I like keeping the daily wear and tear down if I can, I plan to keep this truck for a long time.

T-Rex266 and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Apr 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Smart man.

My dumb ass has daily driven my last three tow rigs. So far, the Tundra has out performed them all except torque.

In a few years when it is time again for a newer truck, a commuter will be purchased months in advance.

MotoTundra[OP] likes this.
  14. Apr 26, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Nothing wrong with that, they can handle it, especially the Tundra haha!

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top