1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with fancy rats...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Greybeard, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:41 AM
    Greybeard

Greybeard [OP] Retiree in training

Member:
    Forsyth Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab
    I have a problem with squirrels (fancy rats) getting into the attic of my detached garage/workshop. I've tried every tactic I can think of and nothing has deterred these little crack heads. The latest attempt is using one of those ultrasonic sound devices with led lighting and I think they just invited their neighbors over to sit around and laugh at me. Any ideas?

2. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:51 AM
    usmchawk

usmchawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Double Cab Limited TRD Off Road - Super White
    TRD Rear Sway Bar Red Interior LEDs Console Safe Victory Rock Sliders Pop n Lock BakFlip4 Bed Mat Led reverse lights Fumoto valve
    My daughter and I shoot them, and their little cousins the chipmunks after they ate through the main wiring harness on my Honda Accord. We keep 22's in the garage so when we see them, we shoot them. I've also hung corn over a large galvanized tub filled with water. They fall off and drown. If you don't have dogs to worry about, you can also strategically place rat poison. As you can tell, we hate those critters. They cause major damage and if you leave them in the attic, they will chew through any exposed wiring, creating a fire hazard.

OBXTundra, 4x4_Angel, 15whtrd and 3 others like this.
  3. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:32 AM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Have you been able to identify how or where they are getting in at? What measures have you already tried?

gosolo, 15whtrd and ColoradoTJ like this.
  4. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:41 AM
    Greybeard

Member:
    Forsyth Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab
    Unfortunately I don't have that option living in a neighborhood with houses close by. Believe me, I would if I could.

jeremyd likes this.
  5. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:46 AM
    Greybeard

Member:
    Forsyth Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab
    Yes...they are chewing through the facia. Every time I patch/cover their entry point, they make another one. I have turned off the power from the house to the shop to prevent any fires.

I've tried all kinds of things they supposedly hate like ammonia, Apple cider vinegar, moth balls, some store bought granular stuff with strong mixed scents (don't remember what all was in it) and now the current mentioned above (led light with ultrasonic sound) nothing has worked so far.

Larmand[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:47 AM
    Adriver71x

Adriver71x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5
    Tow Mirrors
    I have the same problem with my house. They made a hole to get in. I trap them and then drown them. You can also run a generator and close the doors that will gas them. I have a friend that does that. Note that it has to be a none attached garage.

4x4_Angel, gosolo and Greybeard[OP] like this.
  7. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:59 AM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Attach square wire mesh to fascia? Covering access and entry points. Fairly cheap product you can put multiple layers that you can cut to fit with tin snips and attach with a staple gun.

8. Dec 23, 2018 at 4:52 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    That does work. Friend had the same fancy rat problem.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    4x4_Angel and BestGen like this.
  9. Dec 23, 2018 at 4:59 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I had a similar issue with squirrels getting on my roof of my last house.

I simply took away how the squirrels were getting up there in the first place. Three trees were trimmed up, and a couple removed.

We learned really quick about the hazards of having trees so close to the home.

10. Dec 23, 2018 at 5:48 AM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
  11. Dec 23, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    The hardest part is determining exactly how they are getting in. Once you know that, you can trap them and seal the access. Steel wool works well to seal the entrance, as does dense spray foam. I use stainless steel wool so it doesn't stain the building if it rusts.

For traps, I use a small live trap baited with a big glob of peanut butter and some breakfast cereal with nuts squashed into the peanut butter. Once you trap them you can decide how to dispose of them. It is not a good idea to seal up the access before you remove the critters because they will look for another way out and possibly get inside the garage or living space.

gosolo likes this.
  12. Dec 23, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I had squirrel problems as well. I can’t shoot them in my neighborhood LOL I found their entry point and fixed everything I could. They still were trying like crazy to get back inside. I figured out that there was babies in my attic. Once I get them out of there they didn’t try as hard. Activity increased for about a week once I got them out. But they finally got the hint.

gosolo likes this.
  13. Dec 23, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Just turned it into a club for them :rofl:

[​IMG]

gosolo, Grumpy Uncle and Larmand like this.
  14. Dec 23, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    Dephased

Dephased New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue SR5
    The only thing you can do that will work is to shoot them. They are destructive little monsters and I despise them. They have caused me an enormous amount of trouble. The advice from 'animal control' was to buy a BB gun.

gosolo, BestGen and 15whtrd like this.
  15. Dec 23, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    Try this!

16. Dec 23, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    Dephased

Dephased New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue SR5
    Tried mouse traps, rat traps. The little bastards are too smart.. and too fast. Only found tufts of tail fur. There is no arguing with a bullet.

gosolo likes this.
  17. Dec 23, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    BestGen

BestGen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 RCLB, 2UZ-FE, 4wd / '88 4RNR XTE 22RE/W56/RF1A
    Fabtech 2.5" coilovers, BFG KO2 34/10.5/17, 17x7.5 TE wheels, add-a-leaves, 4.56 gears, Rhino-lined
    IMG_2622.jpg

gosolo and Dephased like this.
  18. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:04 PM
    Greybeard

Member:
    Forsyth Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab
    The building is wood siding and the little craps are climbing up on the corners to get to the hole in the facia.

gosolo and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:06 PM
    Greybeard

Member:
    Forsyth Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab
    Yes. I'm afraid they are nesting and settled in for the winter.

gosolo likes this.
  20. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:10 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Some folks eat them fancy rats....

gosolo and Grumpy Uncle like this.
  21. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    Cayenne Pepper? Dust the siding a couple feet up, make a paste & slather the corner, heavily dust around the entry hole.
    Jalapeño juice to make the cayenne paste.
    Get those trays with the blue pellets in it for killing mice. Leave that upstairs inside. Works great on the mice - if the tree rats don't take them, mix in peanut butter.

Going to have some bodies to clean up, but short term issue to long term solution.

22. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:23 PM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    go to your local bjs or home depot. they have these inexpensive go pro like cameras around 20 bucks. buy 4 and canvas the perimeter to see what the route is to the shop and where they are getting in at. set up sticky mouse traps all around that area and enjoy drowning them.

at a couple hangars I've visited in the past there has been great success catching starlings using those super sticky rat traps along the entry points .you can bait them to the trap with those green poison cubes or peanut butter. just don't get your arm hair stuck on the trap. use dou le sided tape uf needed to stick the traps vertically.

Greybeard[OP] and NUDRAT like this.
  23. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
  24. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    Greybeard

Member:
    Forsyth Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab
    Not this folk. Lol

Black Wolf[QUOTED] and Larmand like this.
  25. Dec 23, 2018 at 2:56 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    This is true. They are harboring up right now. Your fix to elimination is going to be a multi prong approach. Keep in mind that squirrels get up everyday and go to work and at the end of the day they want to come home to a warm place to rest for the night.

1) Put mesh up mid morning after they have left the nest for the day. This way you do not trap them in the attic which would lead to greater problems.

2) Use pepper caulk around their walking zones in and around the nest area. Its safe, but effective. The pepper confuses them. If it gets on one, they usually carry it back to the nest inadvertantly which infects the nest and gets on others. The confusion makes them nervous and sends them looking for another place to harbor away from your home alive.

3) Use noise makers near the nest as well as Birds of Prey statues. This only works for a short time until they figure out its a bluff.

4) Put some tufts of hair near the nesting area of attic (human, dog, cat) whatever you can gather up or a combo of all three. This lets them know danger is near and makes them nervous making them seek harbor elsewhere.

5) Throw some stinky underware near the nest.

6)Combo all the things up and you will be successful. One thing by itself will not work.

Note: If they have babies none of this will work. They will stay till the death and cause you greater damage than you would by leaving them alone to grow and leave nest.

26. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    What!! Guess that cancels out possum...

gosolo likes this.
  27. Dec 23, 2018 at 6:11 PM
    Areith762

Areith762 Go Avs!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    .- -. - .... --- -.
    39.944182, -104.760113
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue 5.7L CM SR5 4X4
    DAP Tune, Katskin interior leather, ESP rear under seat storage, door sill protector, door edge protector, TRD Pro shift knob, heated seats, all weather Tundra floor mats, driver side a-frame handle, Tundra trucks center console emblem, clear bra protection, Bushwacker fender flares, paint match front bumper caps, paint match rear bumper caps, paint match mirror caps, ProComp 3/1 lift, 20" Fuel wheels, 33-11.50/R20 Falcon tires, black TRD Pro badge's, black Tundra tailgate badge insert, TRD Pro headlights, Recon smoked tail lights, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Roll N Lock tonneau cover, Line-X bed liner, Tundra bed mat, Cobra led remote alarm/remote start, N-fab tube steps, factory match window tint, TRD Pro grille -paint matched, paint matched hood bulge, TRD dual exhaust, Black out exhaust tips, led interior lights, led plate lights, Spyder smoked fog lights, TRD Cold Air Intake
    Coyote pee. The outdoor coax cable we use at my job now has that scent added to it and it seems to do a pretty good job keeping them away, or at least stops them from chewing on it. Previously, squirrels were one of our number 1 causes for damaged cable.

gosolo and NUDRAT like this.
  28. Dec 23, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
  29. Dec 23, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    In urban areas where you cannot shoot, use a good pellet gun. I covered all my freeze blocks with expanded metal at my last home. One summer, I wiped out the entire colony with hav-a-heart traps, about 12 squirrels, over 3 months.
    Make it your job, not a past time.

15whtrd, BestGen and jeremyd like this.
  30. Dec 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    flying dave

flying dave New Member

Member:
    NC
    Parent's have a neighbor whose wife traps them. She puts them in her car and relocates them to some park in the country a few miles away. Over time she has basically eradicated them. And this is in a wooded area.

Note: It is illegal to move wildlife in some areas. Crazy but true.

Products Discussed in

To Top