1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help Picking out a flat bed Car trailer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Devcom, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Aug 28, 2018 at 10:14 PM
    Devcom

Devcom [OP] Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    Hi guys,
    I am having a hard time deciding between a Lamar 7 by18 and a Suretrac 7 by 18 flat bed car hauler for the Jeep. Both trailers have the same weight capacities and both have single axle electric brakes. The difference is the Sure Trac is $3300 and the Lamar is $2600 and the Lamar requires a 2 inch ball while the Sure trac is a 2 5/16 ball. Was wondering for those that have either one of these manufactures or had experience in the past with either would mind chiming in to help me out on the purchase. :)

Almost forgot The Lamar dealer said he can add brakes to the second axle as well if I wanted/needed it for only 150 extra which would still be cheaper than the Sure Trac.

2. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:22 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I have no experience with either of these trailer brands.

What I will offer you is my past 3 flatbed trailer buying experiences:

-Since you have a 1/2 ton truck (shit, any truck for that matter), get both braking axles. In most states it's a requirement on trailers weighing 3000 lbs or more, and your new flatbed will be pushing 2000 lbs empty. Be smart, and get the best braking you can from your car hauler. On my current 14K rated trailer, upgrading from 5200 to 7K lb

-This brings me to my next suggestion. Since you want the best braking you can get, just skip the 3200 lb axles. I would get a trailer rated at 10500 and no less. Contrary to popular belief, most Jeeps are heavier than what people think. My 03 TJ Rubicon was 4700 lbs with all the armor on it, with 33" tires. It now is over 5000 lbs. So, if you get a 7000 lb rated trailer, put a Jeep on it, your very close to maxing out the trailer. 3200 lb axle brakes, bearings are just light duty. I have had one, and never again. I have also had a few 5200 lb rated axles and some 7K rated axles, I will always have 7K axles under my trailers from now on. Brakes are phenomenal, wheel bearings are huge, tires are by far better....and the list goes on.

-Buying local has a lot of benefits with warranty issues. My last two trailers needed no warranty claims due to being HD trailers. Then again, usually local costs a lot more.

-Usually, you get what you pay for. Remember that.

-Always get the 2 5/16" ball.

-adjustable channel couplers is a really nice feature...FYI.

-Pressure treated decks will last a lot longer...

-LED lights are where it's at.

-Look under the trailer to see how the electrical is ran. Some companies run the wiring under the wood decking. So unless you want to rewire your trailer a year or two later, make sure this is done the right way.

Sunnier, Watt maker and Devcom[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:25 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  4. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:31 PM
    Devcom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you Colorado TJ for the Suggestion and its funny you mention a Jeep. I currently have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Sport that weighs according to the cat scale 3525 pounds all the goodies I will add to it will make the Jeep 4600 pounds when its done which is still in this trailers ball park. Wife and I do not plan to do anything more to the jeep then that and both of these trailers have brothers for 200 more with the second axle brakes that are available so I will look into that as well thanks for the heads up. We have an off road park 60ish miles from us that while it has obstacles they are not as extreme as the ones you see in Moab and the mods we are doing to the jeep that will make it 4600 pounds is overkill to it.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  5. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:35 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    74EFA397-5777-4FB5-9B49-D5A9482BF66C.jpg

“No sweetheart, I’m only going 35’s this time...honestly!”

Les7311, Sunnier and Devcom[OP] like this.
  6. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM
    Devcom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I like that Jeep of yours it must be awesome to wheel in.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  7. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:42 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Thank you. It is a lot of fun, but I really miss driving it on the road and doing more scenic trails.

Doing all the hard core stuff gets old after a while to be honest, and I have to tow my Jeep at least 2 hours to go anywhere for a challenge. Usually more like 4 hours.

I just picked up another dirt bike, and have found that this is the way I want to go.

Les7311 and Devcom[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:53 PM
    Devcom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that is why I do not want to go overboard with the mods I still want to be able to drive my Jeep down the paved roads and still have a challenge at the closer off road parks. Let me know how the dirt bike goes they sound like a fun adventure.

9. Aug 28, 2018 at 11:57 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The dirt bikes are great. Been riding off and on since 6 years old.

I keep losing riding partners though. A couple weeks ago I went Tuesday and Wednesday, on both days different riders joined. Both are out due to crashes for 6-12 weeks. Back at riding by myself again.

10. Aug 29, 2018 at 12:01 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build

Products Discussed in

To Top